Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Healthy Hair Care advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SilkStrands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilkStrands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Healthy Hair Care advice
    Posted: May 31 2007 at 2:51pm
I would suggest all natural shampoos and conditioners..

www.aubreyorganics.com  has some awesome products for hair, and also for skin. i've been using them for a couple years and they're really great.

good luck!
poohbear11778 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poohbear11778 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2007 at 2:23pm
Thank you Susan and SugarCube for your replies!  I am going to do some clarifying to get the cones out of my hair and also try using some jojoba oil.  Luckily I only used the Infusium one day since I've gotten my hair cut.  Also, I have to buy myself a new cone free conditioner and I'll be all set!  Being that I'm new on the forum I did some searching on here yesterday and found a lot of information about cones and ingredients in shampoos and stuff and fortunately found out that the shampoo I'm using (Sunsilk Hydratherapy) has the good kind of chemical and not the bad ones-so that was good!  Anyways, now I know what to look for so I'm a happy camper.  I just want to keep my locks healthy now and thanks to you guys and this website I've learned so much in order to do so!  Big%20smile
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 11:13am
for shampoo i am a natural curly so i know what ur feeling. i only shampoo maybe once or twice a month and condition on a daily basis. but if ur stuck on shampoo try diluting it with a lot of water and just rub the roots
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 8:46am
I haven't checked many leave-ins, so I don't know.  When I looked at them years ago I found most were coney.  I have heard that some of the ones made for kids are not coney, but one would have to check.

Many people use jojoba or coconut oil, some even use olive oil I've heard.  You just use a drop or two spread on from the ears down and comb it through. Your hair should not look oily afterwards or get grease on your clothes, if it does it means you used too much.

You can get it online, at any natural type health food store, and sometimes you will see a bottle at the GNC store.  Jojoba costs a bit, you may want to get the smallest bottle until you are sure you like it.  I get mine here as I think its one of the cheapest places:  http://www.internatural-alternative-health.com/

If you think buildup is your problem, to fix it you should probably clarify the cones off, but be aware that this will leave your hair strawlike and it will need to be heavily conditioned afterwards.  You may even see some breakage if you've been coning it for years without ever clarifying, but be aware that this is probably breakage that was already there, you just couldn't see it because of the "cone coat".  Its good to remove the cone coat because after many months it starts to chip and can break your hair off with it.  If you still do want to use silicones, you could without damage, you just have to remove the coat every 2 months or so before it can start to chip.  Be sure not to use a clarifying shampoo more frequently than every 2 weeks to every 2 months, its way too drying for more frequent use.  Cones do help greatly with detangling, but they do tend to increase frizz as well, so some hair types really don't like them.

If you want to use a less harsh shampoo, try diluting a small amount of it in water.  Then the harshness of the ingredients don't matter as much because you'll be making it a weaker detergent.

If your water is hard you'll also find a final rinse with dilute vinegar water helps greatly to improve hair quality by removing hard water minerals that dull and crispify hair.

Edited by Susan W - May 30 2007 at 8:49am
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poohbear11778 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 9:20am

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your reply.  I think you could be right about the Infusium.  I use it on a daily so that could really be doing a number.  I really don't brush my hair at all.  I spray the Infusium and then wide tooth comb through it-otherwise it would be a big frizzy mess.  The only time I may brush is when I'm lounging around the house and don't care what my hair looks like. 

What kind of oil do I need to get and where do they sell it?  I definetely need something to put in my hair before combing and to keep it from frizzing.  Are there any good leave-in treatments out there I can use instead?   Also, do you have any good shampoo and conditioner suggestions? 

Thanks again for your help!  Smile

P.S.-Thanks Dave for your message and for posting mine in this forum

I'm still desperately looking for product suggestions-please help!!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 8:59am
That leave-in conditioner is CHOCK FULL of cones.  From what I read, most wavies/curlies don't respond well to silicones and that may be why your hair is getting so dry (since you don't use chemicals or heat, it has to be the only reason).    Those can build up on your hair, and are written about extensively on the long hair support forum.

Another thing that may be causing undue frizzies is if you wake up in the morning and brush wavy hair dry, it will just tend to frizz it.  It frizzes mine even though mine is straight (1b).  Try using a wide toothed comb only.  (Some curlies only comb their hair wet, then not again to keep it from frizzing - but since its more damaging to comb wet hair than dry, this would have to be a personal choice).  Instead of using the infusium, you may want to try oiling your hair.  Just use a drop or two, and it helps a lot with detangling, dryness and frizzies. 
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 4:56pm
Hi Poohbear, and welcome Smile

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with your hair. Cry

Based on what you've written here, you might enjoy reading and participating in the Long Hair Forum.  I hope you don't mind, I've also cross-linked this thread to that forum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poohbear11778 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 6:31pm
Hi Everyone,

I really need some hair care advice.  I just cut 5 inches off my hair Cry b/c it was dead and unhealthy.  I have dry, thin, wavy frizzy hair that is prone to breakage and split ends.  I do not heat style, use chemicals (hairspray, gel, etc.), dye or do anything that I would consider to be bad treatment.  I wash all of my hair every other day and my scalp/bangs every day b/c if I don't they get extremely oily and nasty looking.  I use regular over the counter shampoo (always followed by conditioner) (right now I'm using HydraTLC Sunsilk) and Infusium 23 leave-in conditioner everyday.  I always let my hair dry naturally and know never to brush while it's wet. 

Now that I'm 'starting fresh' I need to know what I can do to keep it healthy.  I am also totally on the fence as to what shampoo, conditioner, leave-in, deep conditioning products I should use.  Also, I usually have to change my shampoo/conditioner often b/c once my hair gets used to it-it tends to get oily Confused.  The reason I use Infusium on a daily is b/c it keeps it from being too frizzy.  If I were to just get up and brush/comb it would be a big frizzy mess.  However this stuff does nothing to keep it healthy-it's just a style necessity. 

I've been doing a lot of reading on your site and others but I have found no clear answers.  I've also tried to compare different shampoo ingredients and they all seem to share the same things:  water, sodium laureth sulfate, and ammonium chloride.  I have no idea if these things are good or are harming my hair.  Even my deep conditioning treatment contains cetearyl alcohol which doesn't sound very good or healthy to me. 

My hair has always been long and (hope this doesn't sound vain but) means a lot to me.  I'm still trying to get used to the shorter length as we speak (it's just below my shoulders now). 

So, bottom line-what can I do to keep it healthy and what products should I use (and which should I stay away from)?  I would be willing to spend more $ on salon products or whatever but I want to be sure they will work.  I'm hoping since I gave a description of my hair and daily care this would help all you experts out there to help me keep my precious locks looking beautiful Wink.  I would greatly appreciate any tips and/or suggestions.  (So sorry for the long, long post).  Thank you all in advance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic