Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Highlighting/coloring question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Highlighting/coloring question
    Posted: June 16 2007 at 9:58am
I also would like to find a good leave-in. But I don't want to have all the cones Susan was talking about, so I just deep condition  a few times a week when it is so hot. The only leave-in I use is jojoba oil. Ihaven't used it as a leave-in for a while because I have been using it in my conditioner. But I have switched to using redken all soft, and, and I don't like the results using the jojoba oil with it, it is just flattening, so I am olanning on going back to using it again.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 3:42pm
     Hi Katherine! Sue's hair is chestnut brown, with a few silvers (about .1%), except at her temples and sideburns where the preponderance have turned.
      I don't wish to give you false hope, but except for a few more frizzies, Sue's locks are in better condition, and longer than ever. No more brushes, no processing. I would not have believed that her hair could be thicker and shinier, at a longer length, than it was 30 years ago.  But that's the truth. Blessings, Bob Thumbs%20Up  
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 7:19am
Those do tend to be full of silicones, so be sure to clarify them off every couple of months if you want to use a leave-in (unless you can find one with no silicones...I have heard that some of the spray on detanglers for kids don't have silicones, but I haven't checked ingredients myself). 

If you don't want to do that, you may want to try oil for the frizzies, or check the kids stuff.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 11:21pm
Thank you Susan and Alisa!  Your information was very helpful.  Since highlighting sounds like it is damaging and potentially drying, plus the upkeep, I think I will pass.  I get some natural highlights during the summer, especially during a 1-week beach trip, so that will have to do.

Can either of you suggest a good leave-in conditioner?  I've been using a Redken product for the past year, and it's definitely an improvement over no leave-in, but I still have more frizziness than I'd like.

Thank you both again so much!
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 9:59am
I have very course hair, that is naturally very dry, and really wavy , almost curly.I have to really work at keeping it healthy. I can not do any sort of highlighting because when you lighten the color at all you are removing pigment from your hair. To darken you add pigment.
 Some people's hair is not that effected by any sort of lightening. My hair, because it is so dry naturally gets unbelievably dry, and like cotton candy almost.I would like the look of highlights, but the damage is just not worth it to me. Especially since I want to grow my hair to my tail bone. I'll just let the sun give me sort- of natural highlights. I an combat the damage allot easier this way.
Since you have never colored your hair before, you do not know how it will respond. I would suggest doing a strand test underneath somewhere. That way, If it does respond horribly, it is one spot that will not be noticed and will be allot easier to deal with. If it is fine, and you like it, then do the rest.Any sort of coloring, will have to have touch-ups, as Susan said, so just keep this in mind.

Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 7:10am
Highlights do look nice, and I've never seen them make anyone look older.  The are a chemical process though, and chemical processes are damaging.  I do a little highlighting in mine, to give it some oomph.  I just limit the number of highlights so my hair doesn't get too damaged (just some around my face, not too much lighter than my natural hair, and I redo only the roots on these). 

Highlights could be done in those parallel streaks you talk about, or it could be blended better.  That would be your choice, and you should be able to get what you want from your hairdresser concerning that.  I haven't gotten mine done at a pro, but I'm under the impression that doing foils would make it more big chunky pieces, and pulling thinner strands through the cap with the holes in it gives you the thinner strand highlights. 

Highlights will probably need to have roots done every 2 months...the risk there is salons don't tend to do only your roots with highlights, they tend to just do more hair and do it all the way to the root so it blends in with the older highlights...the result being that you get blonder and blonder and get more and more roots eventually that you will have to do something about, or that may force you into coloring it all again back to your natural color if you are not one who wants to do root upkeep.  You can ask your salon how highlight roots are handled, maybe some do only the roots on the highlights you have.  If they do, that would not be too damaging.

All over color (your whole head) will need more frequent root touch ups, like about every 3 weeks to once a month.   It won't get blonder and blonder and add more damage though because they should be able to just do it once the first time and then only do the roots from then on.

I have N (or is it M?) whatever is medium thickness hair, and dying it once isn't too terrible for me.  It needs more trims and the ends are dryer where it was dyed, but it does continue to grow. (It has to be trimmed off and I don't get to keep my growth if I dye it too many times, but once is okay).  I do not have fine strands of hair though, it may be harder on this hairtype I do not know.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 7:14pm

Bob,

Thanks.  Hip-length, WOW!  The longest I ever got (back at age 16) was waist-length.  Now it won't grow past BSL.

What color is your wife's hair?  I guess the highlights would be a similar, but lighter shade?  Do you mean the sort of parallel streaks of highlights?  Sometimes I see people with "skunk-like" stripes that look unnatural, so I'm concerned that your wife's hair, if brown for example with much lighter highlights, would look unnatural.  But that's somebody who's never colored her hair talking.

And, anybody else on whether highlighting/coloring are damaging, not damaging, beneficial?

Thanks!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 4:03pm
     Smile Highlights look great on most women, IMO, and are not aging in the least. My wife is nearing the coloring age, and I think highlights would look super on her hip-length hair too, if she chooses this. If she has it done at a salon, one rule: no scissors! (lol) Good luck, Bob
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 3:08pm
Hi all,

I am totally ignorant about hair coloring and could use advice from those in the know.  On Monday I saw the hairstylist who used to cut my hair 25-30 years ago, when I was in my late teens-early 20s.  (I was back home for a visit, and I'm between hairstylists because mine retired).  She gave me a nice cut to shoulder length that should grow out well, getting rid of some side layers that weren't looking good.  She suggested I think about getting some "highlights" and recalled the lighter blonde color of my youth.  My hair has darkened to medium blonde over the years.  I have never colored it.  I asked her if lighter hair would age me, because I thought I had read that somewhere, but she said no, it would make me look younger.  I told her I'd think about it, and I made an appointment for the next time I'll be back in my hometown.

Since then, I've wondered:  (1) are highlights damaging to the health of the hair?  (2) what about all over color, as opposed to highlights?  I'm assuming there's a difference between highlighting and all over color, but I really know nothing about hair coloring.

Again, I'd be going from medium blonde to a lighter shade.  I'm 47.  My hair is fine, fairly thick, slightly wavy, and with some frizziness/flyaways.  I want to grow it back to BSL, which will take 2-3 years with regular trims, so I don't want to harm the long-term condition of my hair and will avoid highlighting / coloring if it would be harmful.  On the other hand, could highlights or coloring actually strengthen / improve the condition of my hair, such as helping with frizziness / flyaways?  It seems like I read that somewhere, too.  I'm so confused.

THANKS!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic