Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sleeping With Long Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lengthygoal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleeping With Long Hair
    Posted: June 23 2008 at 6:47am
My hair is half way down my back and extremly thick! I have found the easiest way to fix it at night is to use hair clips like jaw clips or this really nice clip called a Karma clip from Wal-Mart.  Usually any clip that says "For Thick Hair" will work really good. Once my hair reaches my waist I'm probably going to switch to using two clips since my hair is so thick. As long as you leave your hair parted and just twist your hair and clip it at the nape of your neck the clips do not leave bumps! I don't know if this would work well on curly hair. My hair is sort of wavy.
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 7:54pm

Yeah.... I guess it's kinda like pulling the blanket up in your sleep or something maybe. Ermm

There are times when I do pull my hair up at night. (usually in a high looped ponytail)  One, when it's really hot and the hair just seems to stick to me.  Two, when I'm in my flannel-lined sleeping bag.  It's a really long one and I sleep totally inside it with my head covered.  If I don't put my hair up, it's like velcro.  Talk about a fight.....fencelol
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 12:22pm
My fall out rate has decreased also. It is so easy to comb out. It does destroy the curl pattern, but I at least spray it down every day. 
That is really funny, hairbraider. You must be subconsciencely worried about it. My hair just falls all over the place.It dosen't tangle very badly,but it still does somewhat, and I just don't like the fight. Not to mention, it it so much easier to deal with in the morning when it has been up.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2007 at 7:06pm
Like Gypsydoll mentioned, I just throw my hair up over the top of my pillow and let it hang loose.  Since my hair is curly, I don't like braiding it because it destroys the curl pattern and I would have to totally re-wet it every morning.  WAY too much trouble.  It doesn't always stay up there, but  my hair doesn't tangle much so that's not a problem.  (it also appears I've developed the habit of pushing it back up in my sleep alot of times, i think that's funny)
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 2:22pm
I put mine in a segmented ponytail (pony, then add another scrunchie, and another... all the way toward the end) And then I sock curl the end sometimes. That way I don't end up with braid waves when I don't want them.
my LJ, 40 inches long
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Alisa06 Alisa06 wrote:

SC, I bet that was pretty funny!LOL I have sat straight up in bed yelling at kids before.( I have three of my own ,and do in home child care and preschool)  My husband doesn't necessarily like it, but he teases me when I  do something of the sort. 

lolz dats funny!!!LOL!! i talk in my sleep so much that my sis found out sum a rated gossip bout her enemy from this dream i wus havinEmbarrassed i guess i shud duck tape my mouth at night huh Alisa lolzLOL
BlackLace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackLace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 3:10am
I braided it last night too and it was amazingly easy to comb out in the morning, less fallouts too. Love it, gonna continue doing it.
tomorrowperfume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomorrowperfume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 9:43am
I braided my hair before I went to sleep last night, and it was wonderful! I didn't have to fight for air this morning! Smile 
30 inches; 2a/M/iii
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 9:27am
Wow, thats great Gypsydoll! I could not imagine my hair staying put like that. I guess i just move alot.

SC, I bet that was pretty funny!LOL I have sat straight up in bed yelling at kids before.( I have three of my own ,and do in home child care and preschool)  My husband doesn't necessarily like it, but he teases me when I  do something of the sort. 
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
gypsydoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsydoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 10:46pm
I usually keep mine in one long braid that starts at the nape of my neck.  Sometimes i have tied it in a knot/bun on the top of my head.

When I just need to let it loose... I brush well and lay it up over my pillow and it hangs over the head of the bed.  I'm sure I look rediculous, but it seems to be the only way I can wear it down at night and it doesn't get tangled or caught under me when I try to turn over.  (ever roll over and your head doesn't??)
Jen, (1a/f/ii)
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 5:14pm
I KNOW!!!! i toss in my sleep a lot  too. i once woke up to myself crouching on my bed with m hands like claws screwloose(i no weird huh) but i find that if u braid high at the nape u forget the hair exists. i wish that hair could just pop out at night and reglue itselfin the morningidea but it won't lolzninja
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 3:18pm
Lumpiness is not fun is it SC! But, the mess in the morning is a good reminder!Confused
 I have thought about putting it into two pigytails, but I toss and turn alot, and I have wondered about them getting to much in my face. I keep telling myself just to try two braids, I might like it, but I am a creature of habit.
At least with one braid, all the hair is behind me. I have found that if I keep my pillows fluffed ( I have two, one a medium hardness, underneath a soft feather), the bulk of the braid seems to almost disapear into the pillow. Also sleeping on my back with my head turned, helps alot. Of course, I might start out this way, but I never stay there!LOL 

Edited by Alisa06 - August 01 2007 at 3:21pm
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 3:16pm
 I also braid it. Mine's waistlenght and if I leave it done its a tangled mess in the morning
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 2:35pm
i braid mine too and i no EXACTLY wut yer talkin bout Alisa with the whole lump thing its real annoying. if i feel like it i sleep with two pigtails instead of just one. when its loose it gets staticy tangled dry and not good basically lolz
BlackLace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackLace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 12:49pm

I know of a few others who braid their hair at night so I think I'm gonna start doing that. It's very irritating trying to comb through it in the morning as you all probably know ;)

Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 10:46am
I usually oil it and braid it for the night. I start the braid at the bottom of my hair line so I don't have a lump in the back. That is not to comfortable.
 I have noticed that my fall out rate has lessened a bit since I started doing this.There are a couple nights here and there when I get to lazy. Then the next morning, I remember why I started braiding in the first place.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
tomorrowperfume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomorrowperfume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 9:10am
I usually sleep with it down, but I'm curious too: is there a better way?When it's down I wake up suffocating on badly tangled hair, but when it's in a ponytail it gets that weird ponytail wave and it always comes out of a bun. Have you tried a braid?
30 inches; 2a/M/iii
BlackLace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackLace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 2:06am
Hey all,

My hair is currently about an inch or two more than mid-back length and normally I'll sleep with it down but that's probably not too great for my hair and I've been trying to get it into better shape lately.
So my question for all my fellow long-haired people out there is, how do you usually wear your hair when you go to bed? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

xx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic