Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair loss and vegetarianism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
balanced protein View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balanced protein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair loss and vegetarianism
    Posted: August 21 2002 at 9:46am
hi, i get my protein from the following

http://proteinfactory.com/

i get my aminos from the following

http://www.kilosports.com/

you can get them from your local health food store, but these 2 places are where i have found the best prices, and since i use a lot of the product, it pays for me.
Sabelle View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2002 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by balanced protein balanced protein wrote:

hi lotte,
post vegetarians are do not get enough protein, nor a balanced amount. i am a vegetarian, but get my protein from protein powders and amino acid powders, to make sure i am getting all the aminos i need.

Where would i get protein powders and amino acid powders? Can you let me know? Thanks.
Sabelle,
Claudia_belle@hotmail.com
balanced protein View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balanced protein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2002 at 10:40am
hi lotte,
post vegetarians are do not get enough protein, nor a balanced amount. i am a vegetarian, but get my protein from protein powders and amino acid powders, to make sure i am getting all the aminos i need.
scotcdnlass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotcdnlass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2002 at 11:31am
Hi Lotte

Though I am not a vegetarian, I know people that became vegeatrians or vegans and had nothing but trouble with their hair and hair loss. As your hair is a protien you need protien and carbohydrates to feel your hair. I also have been reading that yogurts and soya products are great for hair so maybe eating for of those should help.

Its my believe that complete vegetarianism isn`t the healthiest way to go as a lot of vitamins do not absorb as well from pill form and really need to come from a natural souce. But again, I don`t believe in a complete diet of meat either. Everything in moderation. If you eat a well balanced diet your hair should be well balanced too.

Did you consult your physician before you started your veggie diet? Not everyone is suited to that type of diet. He/she might also be able to recommend you to a nutritionist to help balance your veggie diet out a little more. Hair loss on a diet is not a good sign at all.

I am sure if you find a better source of protien (egg, yogurt, beans, peanut butter) and try to consume more dark green veggies (brocolli, asparagus, etc), you may find your hair looking healthier. It is also good that you eat fish as they contain a great sounce of protien and fish oils that help with hair conditioning.

How is your skin and nails? They are also a good amplifier of nutrient deficiencies.

Do you have anyone helping you with your nutrition and how to eat healthy as a vegetarian or are you winging it? I would recommend seeing a nutrionist, he/she can definately point you in the right direction to healthy eating whether vegetarian or not.

Good luck to you with your hair and being a vegetarian.

Lori
Lotte1226 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lotte1226 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2002 at 9:44pm
I became a part vegetarian (I still eat fish and seafood) about a year to two years ago. I can`t remember the exact date but my hair began falling out within the same year, I think. I read somewhere that hair loss can be caused by protein deficiency. My diet had been about 90% carbohydrates for the last year...could this have something to do with it? But I`ve always had a diet of which the great majority was carbohydrates, and I didn`t begin to have this problem until a year and a half ago. I don`t know that to think, or for that matter, what to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic