Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Smell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
deltagirl12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Smell
    Posted: March 01 2005 at 1:15pm
Hi Hi:

I would like to know what others think of this long hair issue. I was on a date a short time ago, and he commented how nice my hair smelled. (Never mind how he was close enough to smell it. That’s another story). However, he did smell my hair and told me how nice it was. I thanked him for the nice complement. He went on to tell me that when ever he dated a woman in the past that smoked. Her hair always smelled like cigarettes.

I myself have never smoked, and I do not smoke today. I do have girlfriends that do. Also interestingly enough I have never dated a man that smoked either. I also have never been close enough to any of my girlfriends to smell there hair. So my question is to everyone.

Do you really smell cigarette smoke in hair? Especially long hair. I will admit, with out meaning to be disrespectful to any one. I have been on elevators with women that do smoke and also wear a tad too much perfume. The combination of the two, cigarette smoke and perfume in my opinion do not mix very well at all.

Truth be told. They smell pretty bad together.

What do you think?

Susan
Susan
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 2:42pm
Absolutely. Back in my partying days, when more people smoked, I used to come home with my hair smelling like an ashtray.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 4:56pm
Oh yes, it does. It sticks to hair like it sticks to fabric almost. I would imagine even more for people with long hair because there is so much to soak up the smell, so to speak.

~A
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 9:16pm
I date a smoker. But I come home smelling more like his cologne than his cigarettes. Maybe I'm just desensitized to the smell of his cigarette smoke.
my LJ, 40 inches long
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 9:33am
I don't know if smokers' hair smells like cigarettes...maybe. My boyfriend smokes and I never noticed it in his not-long hair. It does smell strongly on his breath for a few minutes after he's had a cigarette though. However, if you're in a smoky place like a bar, as said above, oh yeah that hair can stink! When I used to go out at night I had to wash my hair as soon as I got home!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
CrazyGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 10:04am
My dad smokes a lot... but he only smoked outside the house or in the garage. I used to smell it in my car every morning I drove to work. I was that one "weird" person that drove with my windows down, freezing in the cold or getting wet from the rain. LoL.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 12:48pm
Hi Hi:

Thank you all for responces.

CrazyGirl - You have beautiful hair.

Susan
Susan
CrazyGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 11:11am
Hi Susan, thank you very much. You have a gorgeous hair too. The color is pretty and looks so shiny.

I guess we all have this board to thank, along with our genes hehe.
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 9:02am
I find that the smell of cigarettes usually just sticks to my clothing if I'm at a smoky bar. However, if I'm in close contact with someone smoking, then my hair picks it up; after one particular date with a chain smoker, it took days for me to get the smell out. I didn't call him back, but there were other factors at play, of course. I myself have never smoked; just don't see the point of it.
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 10:49am
I don't smoke and never have done, neither does my bf, but if we spend the evening with friends who do you can really smell it on our clothes and hair after. No offence to any smokers out there, obviously, but yuk.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 5:41pm
Most definitely, being in a smoky place gets the funky stink in the clothes and hair. One of my friends says that she avoids the worst effects by waiting to wash her hair (when its oily and needs washing) until after going to smoky places -- this seems to work well for her.
Unregistered Guest View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregistered Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 6:29pm
Ah yes, great topic. I used to work as a server during college years and they would stick me in the smoking section. My hair would pick up the cig smells and last and last. I figured out that if I slathered my hair with a good leave-in cream and wrapped my hair up in a bun, the smoke didn't settle in nearly as much as when I didn't use leave in. I guess the conditioner coats the hair and blocks out the yucky smells.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 6:48pm
Hi Hairbabe:

Great idea.

Susan
Susan
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 10:11am
Thanks for the advice,. I heard that because leave in conditioner kind of neutralised the dmell or something...? I don't smoke, but the toilets I have to use during the day are very smoky and it really sticks to my hair and makes it stink. Does any1 have any tips on getting it out quickly as it is really horrible and has nearly reduced me to tears before now when my hair stunk of smoke. 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 5:59pm
I'm assuming you mean that the air in the restrooms is very smoky... and even just a few minutes causes the cigarette smoke to stick?  Sounds like this place needs a smoking policy (no smoking in the restrooms).  Anyway, well-oiled hair will, to a certain extent, repel the smoke.  Work a few drops of jojoba (spread thinly on your palms) into your hair before you use the restroom.  This may help.
norskygrl21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 8:58am
I think hair can definitely hold odor, especially processed or porous hair. I went out a few weeks ago with some friends, one of whom had really long light blonde HH extensions. After a night out, my hair and another girl's hair smelled fine, but the friend with extension hair had such a strong smoke/ash smell to hers it was almost making us sick!! Surprisingly, my hair (which is also colored) did not smell but I really condition it good, so maybe that helped "repel" the odor.
2C-Fine-Normal, 23 inches wavy Base of ponytail circumference: 4 inches
Goal: BSL, Approximately 2 to 3 inches from current length
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 10:40am
There is a no smoking policy! Are restrooms the same as toilets? Thanks for the tip about the hair oil!
norskygrl21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 11:55am
Most areas in the Midwest (where I am from) still allow smoking in restaurants and bars, which really stinks (no pun intended)
2C-Fine-Normal, 23 inches wavy Base of ponytail circumference: 4 inches
Goal: BSL, Approximately 2 to 3 inches from current length
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2005 at 11:44pm
From June 1, that is, on Wednesday, smoking in restaurants and bars are prohibited in Sweden. Jippi, I say. And, says my hair and lungs.
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 7:23pm
Yippie, indeed Viktoria.   I don't recall commenting on your current avatar photo, but it's very nice (way cool with your hair waving in the wind).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic