Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boar brissle brush

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boar brissle brush
    Posted: March 02 2005 at 11:18pm
I just got a boar brissle brush because I read somewhere they are the best. How often should you brush your hair, because I usually just comb it out when it is damp and rarely ever brush it. What are some of the benefits of brushing, does it really make hair healthier?

Thanks
TLSF
1b-M-ii type, 29.5 inches long as of 07/11/06, goal for now waist
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 5:02pm
It really depends on hair type whether a BBB will benefit you. Wavies and curlies usually do not benefit from BBB, as it will break the curl/wave pattern or cause crazy poofy volume. I have straight hair and rarely use a BBB. the point of a BBB is to distribute scalp oils throughout the hair, to keep it moisturized. A person would touch the bristles to the scalp to "scrape off" some oils, then run the brush all the way to the ends (a BBB is for AFTER detangling with a comb first)

But a BBB may not be necessary if you

(a) oil your hair with your hands (which makes it unnecessary to distribute scalp oils)
(b) detangle with a wooden comb (because wooden combs distribute oil also)

HTH :)
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 5:15pm
Hi TLSF,

Is your hair straight, wavy, or curly?

AnaisSatin has provided a comprehensive and thorough answer to your question. Since her conclusion is that it isn't necessary, I might only add that using a BBB for its intended purpose may put more stress on the hair from all the friction of the brushing, and that might induce a slight degree of damage. I'm generally in favor of less fussing for better hair health.
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 5:39pm
Thanks guys my hair is straight and pretty long. I feel happy with the results of just coming it out it seems to look fine. I had seemed to think it was damaging and would cause more fallout to brush with the bbb. Thanks for the advice Anais Satin and Dave.

1b-M-ii type, 29.5 inches long as of 07/11/06, goal for now waist
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 7:29am
I don't own one, so I just wanted to add to this that I heard of people using the BBB with jojoba oil....first they put the oil in their hair as usual (not too much) then they use the bbb to distribute it evenly and give it "polish".
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic