Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Microlinks and Extentubes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Microlinks and Extentubes
    Posted: February 24 2005 at 9:00pm
Between microlinks and extentubes, I've heard the preference to be extentubes, so that is what I plan to give a shot...

my question is about the technique, you close the extentube with the pliers and then crack it open with the opener when your ready to take them out?

Is the plastic flexible then? Has anyone had any bad expirences with extentubes?

Thanks in advance chickies...
It is what it is...
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 9:17pm
microrings or extenstubes are not plastic, they are metal. I cant remember for sure what kind of metal, maybe nickel, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

You pinch them shut with the smooth pliers then to reopen them you are basically just pinching them back open. You use a ridged pair of pliers to pinch them back open. I tend to use too much pressure reopening them with pliers and end up ruining the ring. I personally would suggest buying one of the tube openers that has the little groove/slot in it to hold the micro-ring in the correct position to open them back up.
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 9:21pm
aaahhhh....... I see. So is the metal bad for your hair like the copper and what ever is in the hairlocs and eurolocs techniques is?
It is what it is...
juliejetson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliejetson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 9:26pm
They are nickel, the micro links. You would only have a problem if you are allergic to nickel.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 9:27pm
I think the extendtubes are primarily aluminum with a nickle component (don't quote me on this, though).

It's hard to say for sure whether or not the extendtubes cause any damage, but I've never heard of the same complaints that I've heard of with Hairlocs and Eurolocs. They certainly won't turn your hair green, which is a plus. The only downside I've heard about extentubes is that 1) they can slip sometimes (although other people don't seem to have slippage); this is fairly easily remedied if you're doing it yourself, though, and 2) the removal can be a little tricky (you just need to be patient, though, and make sure you open the ring without clamping it back down on itself again). I hope this makes sense.

:)
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 9:37pm
I see, thanks.

So if I clamp it shut, and I can't get it open again, basically I'm screwed!
It is what it is...
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 9:39pm
Eh, you'll be fine--used the smooth ones to close, the ridged ones to open. And try to practice a bit on a wig or test hair first. With all methods, I think practicing a bit in advance is key. :)
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 9:48pm
One thing I learned from trial and error on reopening the rings.....when you apply pressure to open them go slow, as soon as you feel the 'give' in the ring let off on your pressure right then or you can pinch the ring right back and somtimes makes it fold in half and then its a pain to get out. I havent used the tube opener that you can buy but Ive heard alot of people say it helps alot.
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 1:01am
If you've folded over a ring, and you have a pair of big metal snips, you can cut the side off a link and slide the hair out. :) But yeah, otherwise, it's stuck in your hair. I suggest getting the RingX openers from HisandHer- they're only $12 right now, and work for the reular-sized rings.

-Rae
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 7:48am
I was going to purchase the extentube kit, which include the openers, but if there's a better opener I'm all ears.

Is the regular-sized rings the 'medium' ones?
It is what it is...
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 12:15pm
They're probably the same pliers, or similar ones, so if the kit is a better price for the whole set then just get that, certainly. And yeah Doc's regular-size rings=medium extentubes. There's like a 1mm difference in size, but that's not enough to mke a difference.

-Rae
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic