Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Synth Steaming Report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synth Steaming Report
    Posted: March 03 2005 at 8:12pm
Hey girls,

Got my hair steamed tonight, and it's so smooth and silky--it seriously feels brand-new (even after all the experimenting I've done). I also got the ends razored a bit. I would post pics, but I'm all out of batteries!

Of course, this process does result in pin-straight hair, so for those who want curls, you'd either have to reset the curl or perhaps you can steam with rollers in--not sure if that would work.

:)
Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 8:21pm
Jenny~ you went to Isaac's to steam? If you did, did ya get a name on that steamer? Sorry, to keep bugging you about that but if I'm going to do synth, I would love to get a top notch steamer.

Can't wait to see those pics!! I love the straighter hair myself.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 8:52pm
Hey SAS,

I didn't get the exact brand name (sorry...), because Isaac seemed to feel that they all would work about the same. His is a professional garment steamer, on casters, with a flexible hose and the nozzle thing, and he said he paid around $60 for it.

It looks a lot like these ones:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43514&item=4359238350&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43514&item=4361280843&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43514&item=4361379463&rd=1

Beyond that, it was just like a blowout, really--just using the steamer instead of a hairdryer.

Best of all, the steaming was free. Apparently, he gives a free steaming to all his synth clients, so it worked out quite well!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 9:14pm
Thanks Hun
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 10:16pm
Thanks Jenn, good to know that the steaming really helps! Cant wait to see pics!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 7:13am
Juliejetson~I was looking for steamers on the web and saw this one by Jiffy. Is this the Mac Daddy one you have girl?
http://www.goodmans.net/search.asp?c=wig
I swear I was searching for the top item only..(LOL)!!
Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 7:38am
I have the low-end jiffy steamer from goodmans. I like it a lot. It was like $80. You really only need a super powerful steamer if you are making dreads. Any old steamer will jazz up open-ended snyth..... in my four monthes of experience that is.
You can also use it for clothes......
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 11:51pm
Oh, I have one like that. No need to pay $90 for it, though- you can find one (most commonly the Conair Professional Garment Steamer) on eBay for $40ish.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 12:19am
Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 6:28am
I had one, there wasn't anything really wrong with it, but the resevoir wasn't big enough to do a whole head, which meant stopping and waiting for it to reheat.
That said, you could just do the top, or alternate.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 8:02am
Ah, OK. Good to know. :)
isaac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isaac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2005 at 3:44pm
The conair home pro thing is amazing.

Its cheep and does the trick very well.

The hand held runs out of water to fast.

The conair new is under 100.00

And you can not only do your hair but your clothes and curtis and everything else.

Its a true investment:)

Isaac

Http://www.cyberparlor.com
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2005 at 7:27pm
Hehe...just bought one!

Anyone else's apartment morphing into a hair salon? :)
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 1:31am
Well, mine...but that's obvious. The steamer's super-handy, though; I can do my own dry-cleaning. :)

-Rae
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 9:52am
What do you think about adding some fab. softener in the water part of the steamer?
It is what it is...
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 12:29pm
I vote that we all take a picture of our bathroom counters on a "typical" day (i.e getting ready, hmmm. looks like I could use *just a bit here*, whoa, didn't notice how *bad* that looked over there, hmm, didn't I have some of those old hot rollers somewhere? etc etc.)

OK I'm adding a steamer to the mix. . .my hair seems to have reached "critical mass" -- it's kinda yucky right now. . .maybe I've overdone the fabric softener, and the curling iron. Can I steam it WITH ROLLERS IN IT so it doesn't go stick straight???

Fina
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 1:07pm
[QUOTE=Jenny_RR] Anyone else's apartment morphing into a hair salon? :)

Absolutley... I bought an extra ironing board for my work bench. Sometimes I'll be in the basement working on hair and my man is in his(sacred) work room fixing RC cars or whatever else hes piddling with! Awe!!!Aren't we cute?!!!!
Anyone have suggestions for containers to keep hair organized? Mines in a hat box...but its not very tidy! That may be an interesting thread to start?!
Miss Fina...You mailed that WAWA yet? (Sorry, I'm geekin!) I have a shark hand held with upholstry/garment attachment. Hope that works...I'll find out soon!
Gna

I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a White Boxer
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by FinaFina FinaFina wrote:

my hair seems to have reached "critical mass" -- it's kinda yucky right now. . .maybe I've overdone the fabric softener, and the curling iron. Can I steam it WITH ROLLERS IN IT so it doesn't go stick straight???
Fina

OK, I assume you're having the same thing as Mer and I experienced--the hair gets bunchy, stiff, it's hard to get a brush through it.... Frankly, I'm surprised yours has lasted this long without bunching; mine was like that after less than a week, I think.

I actually don't think the hair's like that because you overdid it with the iron (I hadn't even used one at that point, and I don't think Mer had either) or the fabric softener (ditto the first point). I just think synth--no matter how well you take care of it--gets like that after awhile (simply because of daily wear--exposure to water, heat, wind, brushing, etc.). My feeling is that it's unavoidable, frankly.

If you can get a brush or comb through the bunches (and keep in mind that they're not really tangles so much as big bunches, so if you go section by section, the hair will separate), you may be able to curl those sections in rollers and then steam. I don't know if this will be enough to revert the hair to a smooth state, but it's worth a try.

Otherwise, you'll need to blow it out or steam it out with a brush, both of which will make the hair pin-straight. At that point, you'll need to reset the curl. If you decide to blow it straight, it can be helpful to mount the dryer on something so you have a hand free to hold the hair, while your other will be holding the brush. If you keep the blow-dryer moving, you shouldn't singe it.

It's possible that the PH 28mm can withstand this process without straightening out, but I highly doubt it. And this is also why I'm doubtful that never steaming or heat-styling synth hair is a possibility; I just don't see how you can get rid of the bunchiness without doing that, and the bunchiness happens pretty quickly--for you about 10 days, for me and Mer less than a week, I think. I believe Kalika was blowing the ends almost immediately. I just can't imagine that you can only fingercomb this stuff for 2 or 3 months with success, although I may be missing something.

Perhaps someone else should chime in here, since these are only my best guesses based on 3 1/2 weeks of wear.... Perhaps some of the synth vets know of another solution. :)
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 12:30pm
Hi Jenny
By "yucky" actually I'm *not* having problems with it bunching. . .when I brush it, it's very smooth and silky; the ends are just kinda weird. . frizzy I suppose is the best way to describe them.

This morning I put in hot rollers when the hair was wet - and BINGO - it responded beautifully. Just have that problem of getting all those ends correctly placed in the rollers (it is IMPOSSIBLE with all these layers).

I just think that this hair wants/needs (notice how it has a personality now) to be treated the very old-fashioned way. . .rollers, let the hair dry in the rollers.

I bought a hand-held steamer today (the $19.99 ConAir one). I'm going to put rollers in and steam it with them in.

Will advise, with pics, later on.

Fina
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 8:06pm
Whew! I spoke too soon.

I'm starting to think the bunching is more of a problem with longer lengths.

Anyway, if it's only the ends, I would think your rolling-steaming technique would work well.

Can't wait to see pics. You're an inspiration, Fina!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic