Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Glue Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Glue Advice
    Posted: March 08 2005 at 8:12pm
OK, I've only used Liquid Glue/nail glue to pretip up to now. What would be the advantages of using Keratin or latex? How do they differ in look, feel, and hold? Basically, I need the beginner's 101 to glue here. Thanks :)
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 9:15pm
Jenny
Let me just say I f*#kin hate LG. It's messy and time consuming for pretipping.
I've experimented with latex a bit. It's more convenient and more flexible...but didn't keep em in long enough to judge whether they shed excessivly. Bridget seems to be on point with this technique.
I'm lovin the keratin method I posted. It's quick, consistant, and the tips are flexible. However Can't be used with shrinkies, unless I reinforce with nail glue.(I conducted a few experiments-inconsistent results. I think you'd run the risk of getting the keratin in your hair. I'll keep workin though!)
My problem with nail glue is that my tips are too hard and uncomfortable. Which reminds me someone posted using clear nail polish...I'll try that.
I'm open for suggestions, too.
I think this is a great thread for comparison!
Gna
I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a White Boxer
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 9:41pm
Like Gina I like tipping with keratin, its really quick! I tipped a whole pack of bulk ebonyline thermal using keratin, latex and LG. I put in about 30 strands, some of each glue type about a week and a half ago. I did not use any nail glue on the tips. Im sure that the tips will not stay intact when removed, but thats ok. I dont intend to reuse them. I did lose a couple because of my shrinkie application and didnt like a few of them so I removed and re-applied new shrinkies. I really didnt find much difference in the amount of glue left in my hair from one glue type to another. They all melt/adhere to your hair to some extent under the heat of the wand. My keratin tips have no more glue in them than the LG or the latex. Of course you have alot more glue in your hair with keratin fusion than you would have by using keratin to pretip with. So I dont think you would have the same issues as fusion bonds.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 9:46pm
Thanks, Gina. That's very helpful. I like the LG, but I agree it's messy. Plus, it gets stringy so fast, even if you put the cap right back on.

I'm actually planning to use the tips with extendtubes, not shrinkies, so maybe keratin would be an option then? I assume the keratin wouldn't melt in my hair unless it was applied with heat.

I like the way you tipped that whole weft with keratin, then heated and rolled the individual tips off of the weft using the fusion wand. I'd like to try that technique with bulk hair, actually.

I'd be using PH or Dome, which come in those big loose spirals, which can get real messy if you try to separate them. I was thinking that if I just kept it all together and saturated a whole section of one end in glue, then I could separate the strands without disturbing the spiral (is this making sense? I know it's sort of vague).

My major concern is that the synth would melt with the heat of the wand. But then again, people use synth with shrinkies and that seems to work. And maybe if it did melt a bit at the tip, that wouldn't be a bad thing. Of course, it's hard to envision how these things will turn out in advance....

:)

Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:26pm
Hey Jenny
I think youre gonna loose hair whether its bulk or wefted. I'm willing to make that sacrafice for time's sake.You're right it might not be a bad thing using the heat wand...maybe it would singe/melt,thus enforcing the tip?
Sherrie... so youv'e tried keratin pretips with shrinkies? Did you have to use acetone during the take down?
If not...then this could be a beautiful thing!
Gna
I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a White Boxer
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:28pm
Question here....whats the difference between keratin melting onto your hair, or the LG or latex? From my experience (without the nail glue on the tips) that no matter which glue you use to pretip they all adhere/melt to some extent under the heat of the wand. But there is such a small amount of glue in these tips they dont actually fuse into the hair like it does using the fusion method.
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:30pm
Gina, I have not tried any other type of removal, other than acetone. Ive used it for so long that its the first thing I grab. But I will try just using oil and see what happens.
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:40pm
Ok Sherrie
I'm not sure I can answer your questions...but I was under the impression that once keratin mixed with your hair-acetone was your only way out.
I do understand what you are trying to say regarding fusing and pretippng, bc more keratin is used in fusion.
So I guess what I'm asking...will veggie oil work, on keratin pretips used with shrinkies, the same as all takedowns involving heat?(With the exception of fusion)
Sorry for drillin ya Serrie
LOL
Gna
I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a White Boxer
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:41pm
You read my mind Sherrie
Amazing
Gna
I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a White Boxer
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:46pm
I feel another experiment coming on......the only way to know for sure is to try it, right?
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 11:09pm
Thanks girls, I'm glue-clueless!

I don't mind losing some bulk hair in the process, either--as long as I don't lose the whole thing (which can easily happen when you unravel those spirals).

I have to give it a try now!

:)
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 1:10am
I'm chiming in a little late, but I used latex glue on my pre-tips and then painted them with some nail glue the next day. I thought the latex was really easy to work with, and I found shedding comparable to the pretipped hair I'd bought from Doc Locks and Kristin. I think latex makes for a more flexible tip. Also, I used it on human hair, not synth, so it may bond differently to plastic.

Yay! Experiment time.
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 1:25am
I bonded human a few times with latex, and I didn't like it- it got gooey after a few days and I think it made the rings more slippy. So if you try latex, definitely try the nail-glue coating thing that Leia suggested- that might make it solid enough.

-Rae
Amanda8beech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 4:47am
Hi there guys. I've done at least 20 clients with latex tips and nail glue. I always work the nail glue completely over the tip and including where the latex and hair meet. I have practically zero shedding. I squirt a big blob of latex on the surface, cut the hair from the weft, get rid of the stray hairs, dip the end of the hair and then saturate the latex through the end with the nozzle, then I coat with nail glue. It takes me and my bfriend about 11/2 to do a full 4oz weft including latexing and gluing xx
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 6:08am
I'm a latex/nail glue fan myself.
It is what it is...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic