Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slightly OT - cosmetology school

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slightly OT - cosmetology school
    Posted: March 12 2005 at 11:04pm
A somewhat random question, but I've always entertained the idea of going to cosmetology school. Even if I didn't actually get a license, I could learn a lot. However, only one of the many schools in the Bay Area even have websites ("Silicon Valley" and they can't even get a webpage?). The only one who does is a community college, and they say you have to be enrolled 40 hours a week.

Isn't there such a thing as cosmetology night school or something? I would think most people would still need time during the day to earn an income. Am I crazy, or is this one school I found info on not the norm?
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 11:37pm
I think some cosmetology programs do offer night or weekend classes. You would just have to call around to find out.
In CA, you need to have 1600 hours of instruction to qualify to take the state board exam.
Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:29am
Leia~Most schools offer a night class program that I have seen.

I only saw this one in your area http://www.beautyschoolsdirectory.com/schools/elite_sac/

You could make some nice money Leia with a license and especially doing hair extensions. Cosmetology is extremely basic and really you won't learn much than you probably already know. You just need to do it to get that license to practice and make money.

I may have to end up going back to school for another 600 hour. I'm not happy about that!! I spent 2 years in college in Scotland getting qualified back in 1987, then spent 6 years in salons in Scotland, England, South Africa......then went to New York, where they would not accept my overseas qualifications. I had to go back to Cosmetology school for 1000 hours there......hated it!! Now we have moved to CA....they are saying I have to go back for another 600 hours . I managed to get someone who said they would get me a test date for CA State Board without having to go back to school because they agreed I was way qualified. Now, I have heard nothing back from State Board since November,04. So it looks like I may have to go back to school again!!
I told my husband......I'm not moving again!! No more school!!
He wants to move to Vegas now and it's about 1800 hours I think!! NO WAY!!
I feel like a grandmother next to all these young girls who attend cosmetology school. I am dreading going back and they want $4000+ for the extra 600 hours in CA. I already spent $9,500 for my New York license!!
jenn c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenn c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 6:26am
cosmetology school really only prepars u for the exam color and all that is not really heavily taught, i went to one of the top schools in az and got a good color base but most teach only ythe basics to past the test the rest is taught at a salon with training classes.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 7:29am
SAS:

That must be one of the most insane stories I've ever heard. What a bunch of bureaucratic crap! I certainly hope the state will honor your license and experience. It would be absurd for you to have to go back to beauty school....

:)
MERGUTHRIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 7:44am
leia,

i have also been contemplating going to cosmetology school. (looking at them now for after july when we get back from our honeymoon but I want to finish my NEtwork Admin Asst Cert at tthe local Comm Coll first to maybe pay off the cosm. school.)

My bf REALLY wants me to, he thinks I am a hair geek bc of extensions. My sister thinks I am a geek since I have been coloring my hair since 13 (and know all about colors.)

I have a CT License in Insurance... but... I don't like Insurance HAHAHAHAHA, and who gets to have pink hair selling insurance? And conservative Tim (my lawyer/ on town committee stuff/politician dabbler/ bf/fiance) says pink hair is ok if your job is a hair dresser BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mer
i love plastikhaar
Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 7:54am
I wish Jenny~ I told them I had been working in a salon since I was 16 years old. I'm now 36......and they want me to go back to school for 600 hours!! I have tried everything to get out of it, and I can't get a break. I applied last August for CA State Board and have not been accepted to take the exam yet. I'm really bummed out......!! Almost makes me thinking of packing in this for good!! I also don't have $4000 laying around either to spent on doing stupid granny sets, pin curls and fingerwaves!! It's a real joke!!
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 11:40pm
Ha- I've been thinking about it too, once I finish my BA. Have you thought about community colleges? They often have programs that qualify you for the state board exams, and are usually cheaper than private cosme schools.

-Rae
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 10:53am
Rae, the comm. college in my area only offers CEU hours and not the actual course.

My school only taught us the basics (as someone else stated above) for state board. Pin curls after pin curls and roller sets out the a$$. I wish I learned how to give a decent hair cut!
They really need to revise the state board exam, imo.
It is what it is...
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 11:19am
SAS, that is so crazy. It's one thing when they do that sort of thing to doctors with all the requalification, but I doubt you can kill someone if their haircolor comes out a little off!

Thanks everyone for all your responses. It's the kind of thing that might be fun to do some day, just to get some formal training. (Although I'd be way ahead of my classmates on color.)

Anyway, that's definitely waiting for a while because (as I go OT) I got a new job! Finally, almost three years after college, I got an actual full-time job in my field (communication). The only drawback is that it's contract, so I may be unemployed in five months. But now I can afford more hair toys. =)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic