Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet Rollers: My New Love Also!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet Rollers: My New Love Also!
    Posted: March 13 2005 at 11:48am
OK Jenny,
Thanks for turning me on to your new love. I had to try this myself (just call me mini-me). Rolled 'em last night in 1-3/4" Conair velvet-covered rollers (the quick heat kind - they're ready in 2 minutes). Left them in about 10 minutes and VA VA VOOOOM!!

Just like you said - good as new! I'm wondering now, since we know this will curl, if I should get the 50mm since I don't want so much curl, just a bit of wave. . .or do you think it's all the same once you start rolling it?

P.S. Keeping my eyes open for your mammoth rollers. . .

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 1:05pm
Looks amazing, Fina! Va-va-voom indeed. I think you'll find the hot-roller curl to be pretty resilient, too. Mine wouldn't budge at all until washing; it loosened somewhat after showering, but less than I expected. The hair has much more memory in that sense than human, for sure.

I think all the monofiber will respond the same way to the rollers; my hair, for example, was pin-straight before I rolled. So yeah, you might as well order the wave you want from the onset, keeping in mind that the 50mm will drop sooner than the 28mm (but hey, as long as you can reset it, it's all good).

I feel like we've really mastered this hair, girl....whew! My only remaining issues are how to combat the slight frizziness on the ends, beyond blow-drying or steaming (and this may just mean trimming occasionally), and how to make the curls/waves supersized. These are pretty minor issues, though. Do you have any concerns about the hair, or is it holding up as well as it looks like it is?

:)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 1:09pm
Oh yeah, and how did the shrinkies work out for the top and sides? Did you end up using WaWa for the front pieces or human? And how many did you use? It looks so natural, I can't tell what you've done, lol! I am thinking of doing something similar with the small extendtubes on the top/sides, although I may just use the same Dome/PH monofiber for it. :)
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 3:20pm
Yes we've come a long way baby!

This hot roller thing was really the key, though, for me. Next time I'm getting a looser wave and keeping the hair a bit longer. I feel *much* more confident about "wearing it" knowing that there is *some* way to control it. I think the key to the ends is in the wrapping around the roller.

So now that I no longer have the styling problem, I'm not going to need to put any HH in the front for a while. In fact, I have a few GL strands (that I saved when they came out a while ago) in the front but they don't curl the same. I think the biggest "risk" with mixing hair types is the inconsistent results in the different hairs from styling.

I have quite a few shrinkies in my hair, but I was having a problem with even them being too "big". So I did a little thinking/reading/etc and decided to just dive off the deep end and do something probably risky but the results are *fabulous*:

I pretipped small sections of PH with LG (I had quite a few on hand that I handn't yet then gone over with Nail Glue). I applied these *directly* to my hair like I would with any other pretipped hair.

I know that some people have done this. . .I made the tips *very* small, and I didn't need to leave the heat on them for more than about 4 seconds. The LG softened, I rolled it into my hair, and the attachments are, I'm not kidding, just about *undetectable*. They've hardened a bit but still feel quite secure.

I put these strands on the crown and around my part - it was so fun - it was like I was "highlighting" my hair!!

Anyway didn't mean to write a novel. I'll take some more detailed pics of my hair where I did the additional strands and you'll be able to see how fabulous the blending is. . .

Fina
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by FinaFina FinaFina wrote:

I pretipped small sections of PH with LG (I had quite a few on hand that I handn't yet then gone over with Nail Glue). I applied these *directly* to my hair like I would with any other pretipped hair.

I know that some people have done this. . .I made the tips *very* small, and I didn't need to leave the heat on them for more than about 4 seconds. The LG softened, I rolled it into my hair, and the attachments are, I'm not kidding, just about *undetectable*. They've hardened a bit but still feel quite secure.

Interesting--like hand fusion with Liquid Glue, but it sounds like less glue than traditional fusion because of the way you're doing it. I wonder how long the LG lasts like that; maybe Sherrie would know.

Can't wait to see the pics! :)
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 5:59pm
Oh the hair looks marvelous Fina! Thats very encouraging for me cause thats the kind of curl that I normally wear. And my biggest concern and reason that I had not used the PH that I already have is that I didnt know if I could create the kind of style that I like to wear. I now know that its possible! Ive also found with the ebonyline thermal it curls differently than my human hair extensions that it is mixed in with. So I agree with you that mixing different types of hair gives different results with styling.

I am impressed with your experiment with the LG pretips and just heating them in and surprised (and delighted) that it worked! I wish I knew how long they will last but since Ive never tried it I have no idea at all, but I guess you'll let us know huh Fina!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 8:54pm
By the way, I think I've figured out how to create a looser, 50mm-type wave (with the very long lengths, at least):

1. Starting with pin-straight, dry hair, roll the bottom 2 inches or so in jumbo rollers (as little hair as you can, just to create a bend on the ends); use fairly large sections, which should take 7 rollers or so. Leave 'em in for 5 minutes; remove. Let cool for a few minutes.

2. Roll medium sections of the entire head of hair with large-size rollers, but in reverse: starting at the roots and ending with the ends, which should take about 10 rollers. Leave 'em in for about 15 minutes, or until cool; remove.

The hair should have a fairly consistent loose wave from top to bottom. If it's wavier than desired on top, try using the jumbos for stop 2 instead. Of course, I'm sure the results will be different depending onthe length, thickness, and whether you have layers or not, but this is the closest I've come to re-creating the loose, 50mm wave. I'll play around with the techinque for a few days and post pics when I (hopefully) perfect it some more in the next few days.

Big props to Gina, who recommended rolling the hair from roots to ends the other day. Thank you, Gina--it worked wonderfully!

:)
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 6:19am
Sherrie:

I lost an LG pretip last night -- it pulled my own hair out right along with it. . . grrrr. . .

So I went ahead and took out the small ones in the front -- the last thing I need is more bald spots in my already extremely fine & thin hair around my face.

To remove the LG tips I used an almond/sesame oil mix. The oil doesn't really dissolve the LG tip; it seems to just help remove it from the human hair. I am going to order some LG remover today.

Oh yeah - I decided to remove a shrinkie also, which had a naked (no nail glue) LG Pretip underneath it. So first I oiled it, then I heated it, and voila! My bathroom smelled like a Chinese restaurant !

On the LG web site, they recommend for pretips, to keep the tip "flat" (just as it would look, e.g., when you got any other pretips). Then roll it around your hair when you heat it up (exactly the same way you'd do any other pretipped fusion). The only problem with an LG-only tip with PH is that PH *will* melt if heated for too long with the tool. Literally, I only had to heat that LG tip enough to soften it which is about 3 seconds.

-Fina

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 6:25am
Fina the LG remover is mainly just mineral oil so if you have any mineral oil it'll do the same thing as the remover. Bummer about the strand pulling your own hair out along with it...was hoping the LG petips bonded with heat might work out.
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 10:03am
I really think they might work out. . .but. . .like all things there seems to be a bit of trial and error!

Also - bear in mind - this is the ONLY mishap I've had!!

Fina
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic