Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Razor Scissor Disaster!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dmjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Razor Scissor Disaster!!
    Posted: October 17 2004 at 1:58am
I had my hair cut about month ago. My hair was perfectly fine. About bra-length and medium thick. I only went in for a cut in the front...side bangs. Well this guy decided not to tell me about razor scissors and I thought they were the same as regular scissors only faster. I didn't really realize what he was doing. By the time, I realized what he'd done he completely thinned my hair! Now it's ugly, kinda frayed, and way thinner then I had it. Plus my hair has gotten a bit oilier than it was before. It's so horrible that I can't go a day without dreading to look in the mirror. I wish someone had time machine. Help!

Can anyone give me some information on razor scissors(hair thinning)? Like what is exactly done to the root and if it completely alters the hair texture forever? Will my hair ever get back to being somewhat as thick as it was before or should I consider going bald and wearing a wig till it grows back to normal? Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have gotten your hair thinned tell me your story. I'd liked to learn more about this. Thanks.

Totally destroyed,
JEN
ConanOBrien View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConanOBrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2004 at 3:25am
Why Jen, I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal.
To answer your questions. Razor cutting doesnt change the hair a the root at all. but because your hair is shorter it appears different in texture. Which it is really. Thinning is thinning the shafts at different lengths. but its not razored at the root. However because it is shorter now, shorter hair tends to get oiler much quicker.
I'd advice agaisnt a wig though. If you have a full head of hair, wearing a wig while might amke you feel better is going to get uncomfortable not to mention your hair and scalp will feel like it's not breathing or getting air.
My only advice and this is pending how short this guy cut it is wait a fe weeks and if at all possible get it cut to all one length.
Say it's chin length and the razored layers are beneath that.
Whatever your lenght is get it cut all one length to get rtid of the layors.
But i cant say that without knowing how short it is now and how high the razored cutting went

hope this helps a little. And when depressed watch my show on NBC at 12:30am weeknights.

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 11:34am
This is apparently becoming more common...I frequently hear of thick haired people going to salons and getting razored and half destroyed. I guess it's because layers and chopped styles are more in style these days, but if someone did that to me without telling me exactly what they were about to do, I'd report them to the manager.

You're in style, even if you don't like it, I'd try to wait it out before getting it all cut off. Experiment with it....while you have it you may as well make the most of it, and see if there's something you can do with it that makes it fun. (I have worn wigs in the past and let me tell you they can be itchy!)

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Dmjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2004 at 3:54am
Thank you to the both of you. And to Conan, to answer your question, the razor cutting went up to my the back of my neck almost. My hair is about bra-length still.

I'm just made it a habit to keep it in a ponytail till it grows out enough so that I can get it cut all in one length. lI'm also thinking about taking some horsetail pills to help my hair grow stronger.

Thanks again, your replys made me feel better. =)

Sandi_lea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandi_lea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2004 at 5:29pm
Hi,

I''m a hairstylist, and I had to do a search on razor scissors because I have never heard of them, it''s just a fancy name for thinning shears. Basically the guy thinned your hair he didn''t cut it at all. But don''t confuse razor scissors with a straight razor, like a razor cut - a technique of cutting hair using the blade of a razor instead of scissors. When hair is cut with a razor, each end is tapered, as opposed to being blunt cut. Also if you are going to get a razor cut due your research on the stylist alot of them have no idea how to use one. Personally, I love doing razors cuts.

Being a hairstylist and hearing stories like this piss me off. I was taught old school, what they are teaching now is plain crap. The don''t even know the principles of hair cutting. To get a great haircut your hair needs to be sectioned. Anyway, sorry I just had to say that.

And it may take awhile for your hair to get back to one length. Have it slowly trimmed up like a 1/2 inch to a inch about every 2 months, what ever you think you can handle or won''t miss to much. That way you won''t have to go shorter all of a sudden. And in no time it will be even again.

Sorry this is so long.

Sandi
Jackie K View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackie K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2004 at 10:29am
I just had the exzact same thing happen to me....
i dont know what to do, i had bueatiful thick hair and all i wanted was it thinner at the ends but she ended up taking off half of my orginal hair. All i do is cry lol. But your post made it much easier for me to deal with my missing locks....thanks =)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic