Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Curly hair thats straightened---HELP!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ronda22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronda22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curly hair thats straightened---HELP!!!
    Posted: November 30 2004 at 9:09am
My 11 year old daughter has naturally curly hair, she has it cut in long layers to her shoulders. she straightens it with a ceramic straightneer every day. she doesnt use any product. when she is done straightening it, it looks very drab and lifeless, NO body whatsoever. now, me being form the 80's, i think it looks SO bad!!! after she gets it cut at the hairdresser, its full and shiny and looks great, but when she gets to it, it couldnt be more scraggly looking!

what advice do you have? i want to use products that will make it look straight, but that also have some body and shine to it at the same time.

right now we just use regular shampoo and cond, no styling products before or after she straightens.

does anyone have some advice???

i know the look these days is straight, but this is ridiculous!!!
dINGdONG View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dINGdONG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2004 at 6:57pm
Your 11 year old daughter is preoccupied about her hair???? Wow!!! That's amazing...LOL...
Well...there are many shampoos out there that add volume to the hair. John Frieda's is the best I can think of...there are some much more powerful ones only sold at stylists...Like Redken's volumising mousse or shampoo...those work VERY well!!! Although they are costly...from $30-$50...but they're worth it!!!
Good luck!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 12:31am
Well first, she is using way too much heat on her hair. Heat can be damaging, especially direct heat. So doing it everyday can cause breakage and drying.

Secondly, if she is going to use heat she needs to use a product to protect it, there are heat protectants out there, i don't use heat tho so i don't know which ones are best.

For conditioner she needs something for dry and damaged hair, hair repair or a reconstructioner. To bring back some moisture to her hair.

she needs to find a way to use heat less and get the same effect without using her technique so often.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Missj View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 9:39am
she could try blow dring her hair straight , when i blow dry my hair it has so much body, my hair is past my sholder and curly/wavy. You can try a straightening balm when u blow dry it
Unregistered Guest View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregistered Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2004 at 12:17am
She should definately blow dry it straight first with a blow out serum, then if there are any puffy pieces she can go over it with the straightener. Just make sure she uses products that protect her hair from the heat like Thermasilk shampoo and conditioner!
divinediva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divinediva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 12:11pm
This may seem a little harsh but hello she is 11 years old, why is she even worrying about her hair at that age?-she should be out having fun and not caring what her hair looks like. If your daughter continues str8ening her hair in a few years time all she'll have left is a dry, snapped and crispy mess......ban the str8ening irons until she's atleast 16 and replace them with an expensive deep conditioner-she'll thanx u 4 it one day!.
It doesn't have to be natural to be fabulous!!!/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic