Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

white ppl with braids?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Dragooney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragooney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2002 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by G G wrote:

Sorry, but I have a real problem with white people taking on black hairstyles. Black people had been plaiting their hair for centuries then along comes Bo Derek with canerow in 10 and suddenly it's cool to have plaits in. The same with make up and a host of other things. White people hijack the best of a non white culture and take it as their own, giving no credit back to the original culture.
What really annoys me is the comments white people come out with about black hair and how sticky it is or by asking do you use Vaseline in your hair. Black hair is really difficult to deal with, these comments make my blood boil, and as for the grief with dreadlocks, not allowed to wear them to school and such, you trying living with black hair for a month and tell me how you want to style it. You don't try to understand you just make assumptions, not very fair is it?
I think you shoud stick to your wash and go hair.

Y`ALL ARE ACTING LIKE LITTLE CHILDREN!
HAIR Is mADE FOR EVERY BODY, DUH!
i mean there is no such thing of a black and white hair style, ake
I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our life.
Caramela View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caramela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2002 at 6:25pm
Right. I mean who`s to say that white people don`t look at those of us with relaxers and say we are trying to be white? I mean, I agree the last post, hair is hair and really it`s a personal preference. I just think that in this day in age, it`s pathetic to play the race card all the time. Sometimes it gets rather old.
Kellie22 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellie22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2002 at 1:18pm
Who cares if white people wear weaves or not. Its all hair. What if they talk about blacks who, have stoped alterning there hair structure and that have gone natural, what about that. I think its all hair and people should be able to do what they want And if i remember correctly BoyGeorge from the Culture Club was the first person(from England i might add who was white)that started wearing hair weaves and extentions, so i think you guys need to stop starting fight and get along its not black hair or white hair because if it was it would be on the package, but anyways people can do what they want
Jsalon View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 12:55pm
Hey there- I am a white hair dresser and have put cornrows in MANY white peoples hair.... there is nothing wrong with it. Its like saying black people can't straigten there hair because its a white hair style. Hair is a beautiful thing and we can do so mcuh with it .... so GO FOR IT!!! Don't let others talk you out of it. It doesn't mean you are trying to be black the same way as blacks are not trying to be white by straightening theres..... its all rediculous...

Have fun!!
soulman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soulman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2003 at 6:13pm
wooo this is crazy what iam reading i feel that whatever race u are`black`white`green`orange u can wear what u want to wear and if u feel comfortable with it then go for it its not a big deal. topic starter u did not even have to make this post cause it dont concern anybody and it does noe matter what black people think its all about u and what u want to do so take that and do ur braids.

holla.
k.liston
Cutie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2003 at 9:19pm
Do your thang Curious....who cares what anyone else thinks
;-)
Cass03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cass03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 1:45pm
you just need to just stop always trying to get up fights here. Who care what race does to there hair. Its theres.Cause you already know with this kind of topic that it will get a fight going. So why bring it up.
Cass
pat charles View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pat charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2003 at 12:28am
It is obvious that you must look to us to define yourself. As a person, you really should not care what anyone thinks. Is it really you? is the question. Everyone grows up somewhere either rich or poor, with black or white, Indian, Italian people around them. We learn in the communities that brings us up, and as a Black girl growig up in Brooklyn, I picked up the trends and fashion styles including hair styles, and worn them because it defineded who I was and where I was from. If you are also apart of that community then it only makes sense that you follow along or what ever your heart tells you is right or not. If you are not from that community or anything close to it, then do not pretend that you come from there. Now, if you enjoy our styles of fashion, hair or clothes, then do what you think is fun for you, but do not ask our permission to define yourself. It's tacky and uncomfortable to both races when we talk of Black and White. Good luck with your decision.
A Black Writer.
tb0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2003 at 2:38am
I must say that as a black female I find no problem with a white person getting their hair in braids as long as it is done right. I would have a problem if they looked crazy just like I would have a problem if a black girl had some crazy briads in her hair I think that if you look good do your thang do you!
'The Beautiful One'
zoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2003 at 2:48pm
i am not being racist or nothing but i think that white people look strange with cornrows in but it depends on who does it and what kind of hair you have . i am mixed race (black,white) and i used to have straight but thick hair but now it is frizzy,curly and thick and i have to have it pressed or cornrowed but i can leave it out in a bobble because it isnt like a real black persons hair
siammais View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siammais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2003 at 2:25pm
you could wear braids if you want. i have white friends and i always do their hair in cornrows and it looks good. nobody at my school takes offense to it and if they do**** them they should just mind their own business. obviously people still give credit to black people for braids if shes even asking this question, and thats the whole controversy wit rap to and why people don't like eminem, but black people still get credit for waht they brought to the white world.
keeku View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2003 at 1:01am
I am a black female who finds nothing wrong if a white person or any other race wants to wear braids. For years, everything about the black people/culture was basically looked down upon as being ugly so it's nice to see that other races finally appreciate and want our kinky hairstyles(saw a Japanese dude with dreadlocks), our curvaceous hips and booties, our full lips, our dark skin, our fashion, and our music. Anyway, anyone who stresses and rants over how a complete stranger wears their hair need to check their priorities. I could think of other social issues that are in dire need of being addressed other than white ppl with braids.
Cass03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cass03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2003 at 3:06pm
Who cares about white people with braid. If you dont like it dont look at it. Everyone has there own style. I dont see why you have to post something like this, to try and get something going.
Cass
Carlayaah View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlayaah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2004 at 3:29pm

First of all I would like to reply to the person who wants 2 wear braids and she is white. I say go for it..Now second 2 the person who brong up Bow D. Girl I am totally with cha. I also have a problem with someone of another race taking on someone elses culture as if it were there own. Lets be real, we all know who came out with baided styles. Just as we all know when the fad is over for everyone else we will still be sporting them with grace, beauty & style. I also have to be fair and say if you are sporting a Europian weave and you are black....support must be given by you to the white woman wo wants to wear braids. And now for that insane person who classified white woman and bi-racial woman as having kinky hair...PLEASE, I'm black and kinky is not the word we use. and it definately does not belong in the same sentence as someone with those type of hairs. Hell I'm going to be real with cha...I'm black and my hair is nappy as hell. And yes I relax it, because I don't have time to deal with it in it's natural state. Oh & trust me I am not trying 2 be white.

lynnicia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynnicia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2004 at 8:14pm
i think white people should NOT get their hair braided like black people. im 13 and can braid hair pretty good. white people hair is too...straight to braid, and the braid doesnt look right, to make a long story short. black people have thick hair which makes the braid tighter and stay in longer.You an also do cooler looking styles easier, like zigzags, with black people hair.
Real View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Real Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2004 at 2:56pm
I do not think white people should braid their hair unless we are talking about small white children. The hair does not look right braided. The hair when it is braided is very dirty looking and the braids are not smooth. I really believe that they should stick to shampooing their hair every day and blow drying on a daily basis. African American hair might be different textures but in the long run it turns out to be better overall. You can do so much with black hair.
Blah blah chick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blah blah chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2004 at 6:21pm
OMG! Black hair, white hair, tomato tomato...blah blah same thing! I have known several white people who went to mexico and got their braided-smoe cornrows some just small beads w/ braids....w/e anyway, I also know black people who have braids in their hair as well. These people aren't being "black" or "white" they are being themselves. isn't that all that matters? I was taught that people are people no matter what they look like or act like...if someone wants braids go for it....just wondering....if a black person were to have straight hair or unbraided hair would that mean they were "acting white"? NO! of course not! so why is it any different if a white person wants braids? I guess I just don't understand double standards in society and never will. God help me and bless me for it.
"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be
wonderful" -Annette Funicello
jennafer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennafer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 10:44am
I think it's alright to get them done. I am white, getting micro's, any day now. If you've got the attitude to hold it down, go for it. My whole town is white, and ****, they all got something to say. Braids are braids. Everyone wears extensions or just french braids in all sorts of ways. When cornrows are actually mini french braids, you know that the whole world has been using them forever. Good luck, tell us how it goes.
The_Airknight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Airknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 2:05pm
Alright..

a) No one can be "white," "black," "yellow," or "red." It's just ridiculous stupidity. Use common sense, people.

b) We should all try out different things from different cultures. Why? Because it's called CELEBRATING THE HUMAN RACE'S DIVERSE CULTURAL ENVIRONMENTS. Notice; the HUMAN RACE. There is only one race..the human race. A European-American getting cornrows is perfectly fine..or anyone else of European origin. Anyone of any origin should celebrate other cultures, respect other cultures, and represent other cultures. We all have one thing in common: being God's children. Now stop being ignorant, immoral, ethnicist, and ridiculous.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 7:36pm
Girl i can only speak for myself...wear your hair like you want and for that person who said stick with wash and go not all white peoples hair is like that

i know alot of white people who can grow fros better than some black people. You really need to calm down, every race has had braids in some way you need to learn your history... i agree loosen up

and we can't speak for all blacks just like you can't speak for all white people its an individual view. I hope you enjoy your hair
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic