Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much are extensions?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kdprincessjess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much are extensions?!
    Posted: March 22 2005 at 5:07pm
How much are extensions typically and is there a type of extension that will stay in the hair about a month? I wanted to get some for the summer for fun!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 5:12pm
It all depends on what method and kind of hair you want, and whether you want to DIY it or get it done by an extensionist. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 5:49pm
I want the kind that only lasts for like a few weeks...do you have to buy new hair or just get them reapplied? How much does getting it reapplied cost?
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 6:01pm
the type of application you get and your location will dictate prices.  If you have good quality hair you can reuse it a couple of times as long as you are taking care of it.

If for fun in the summer you want bright colored streaks then you are probably best off going with synth hair and you could get pinch braids or fusion or extendtubes/microrings or shrinkies.  You wouldn't need a full heads worth and synthetic hair is cheaper than human hair.

All the methods I listed last up to ~3 months.

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 6:02pm
Well, most extensions methods are designed to last for a few months, and clip-ins obviously are a different story altogether. Usually, glued-in wefts would last for a few weeks. Is that what you're thinking of? :)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 6:05pm
Oops--simulataneous post.

You might want to check out the Extensions 101 and the Bridget Your Question Is Here threads at the top of the page for an overview of the different types of methods.

:)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 7:08pm
i want natural hair. do you only have to get them fixed every 3 months? whats the best hair to get that i can add a little color to? approx. prices of EVERYTHING?
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 7:13pm
Listing the prices of everything could go on for years.  Do a bit of reading on the various methods of extensions, so you can tell us more accurately what you want.  The more info you can give us, the better responses we can craft for you.

By natural hair, do you mean human or just natural colors?  There are very realistic synthetics that are much cheaper than human hair (which ranges in quality from useless to tolerable).  What do you mean by add color?  Do you want to color your own extensions?  If so, why?
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 7:20pm
I'll assume that by natural you mean not only natural colored but human hair.

Lets say you have shoulder length hair now and you want to have brastrap length (I'd call that 18").  Word on the street is that you'd need  the equivalent of 2 wefts.

There are a lot of different quality options but since I don't use human hair I'll go with what many people here seem to like and that's bohyme hair.  From superhairfactory.com the hair is going to cost between $200 and $260 (lighter colors are more expensive).

Cost of installation is really something you'll have to invesitgate locally.
I do my own so I'm relatively clueless

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 7:52pm

Sorry to be so difficult. I know NOTHING about hair extensions so that's why I sound so stupid. Basically, my hair is several different colors of blonde and brown. I want to be able to buy a lighter set of extensions and lowlight it a little to match my brown. I put a picture at the bottom of this message of my hair. I also have VERY curly/wavy/frizzy hair (that I straighten with my chi every day) so I wanted something that I could straighten or curl a little with my curling iron to match my own hair...I didn't think you could do that with fake hair. What are the benefits of the clip ons? Can you wear your hair up in a pony tail, etc or are the extensions easy to see and might fall out? The other type of hair extensions that last a couple of months, what advantages do those have over clip ins?

Thanks guys!!!

ME:

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 8:06pm
Well, again, I think you should read the intro threads. There are so many different kinds of extensions and many, many possibilities with them. The advantage of non-clip-ins is simple: They're always in, usually for up to three months. The advantage of clip-ins is that they require less commitment, usually work out to be cheaper, and put less stress on the hair than virtually any method.

I would suggest posting a pic, or an Internet link, of what you'd like your hair to look like, and maybe we can point you in the right direction. The good news is, you have very nice hair, and a good amount of it, so you really have quite a few options.

With synth, it wouldn't really be advisable to flaitron it every day, although it's not out of the question given the new thermo fibers. Human is a good option too; it just costs more, really.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 8:27pm

haha...this is what I want my hair to look like...when I get my next touchup in 6 weeks I would like my eventual color to do this and then add the extensions for the summer:

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 8:53pm
Looks very possible to me, Jess. You're already more than halfway there. I think you can achieve this look with either clip-ins or a 3-month method. It's really up to you. The only thing is that you may have to layer your own hair every so slightly, because if the bottom is too blunt, it can be hard to "blend" the real hair with the extensions. Then again, this may not be necessary at all. I'm not a stylist, so I'll leave it to others to advise you on that.

I think the problem here is that you really have a lot of options to choose from. If you want human hair, that's fine. Whether you choose clip-ins or a 3-month method, it'll cost you between $250 and $500 (just for the hair) I'd say, for decent quality (hair that'll hold up for at least three months), but if you only want the hair to last for a few weeks, you could go with something cheaper. Some of the best quality are Glamourhair Remy, Bohyme, HisandHer Cuticle hair, and Extensions-Plus.

Anyway, as I said before, check out the "Bridget, Your Question Is Here" thread above; it'll give you an overview of the basic methods, and lists some of the advantages and disadvantages to each. Then, when you've narrowed your options, let us know, and we can point you in the right direction. If we know where you're located, we may even be able to give you some stylists' names, if you don't want to go the DIY route.

Good luck! :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 9:15pm
I'm located in Austin, TX and have a hair stylist but don't know anyone to do extensions!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 10:04pm
Ah...Austin! I used to live there, just south of the bridge, just east of Congress. I love that town.

Unfortunately, I didn't have extensions when I lived there, but if you're interested in pinchbraids, there are two HairPolice affiliates there. I have no firsthand knowledge of their work, but they may be worth a try:
Michelle Coleman
Micky Kibbe & Penny Boone
(You can get their contact info. on hairpolice.com)

One of our members, FinaFina, is from Dallas and recently had heat-seals done somewhere in Texas, but that technique is generally done with synthetic hair, so it may not be appropriate in this case. Nevertheless, she gave the stylist a great review, the price was very reasonable, and perhaps they do human-hair pinchbraids and other methods, too.

Again, Jess, there are a lot of methods for extensions, each with their own advantages and disadvantages, so I would recommend doing as much research as possible before you choose a method, a brand of hair, and a stylist.

Good luck! :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 4:32am
Is there anywhere in NYC that's really good but not like celebrity priced? I turn 21 in a couple of months and I'll be going there right before my birthday...it would be an early birthday present!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 4:39am
Well, I go to Cyberparlor, so I would recommend them. The guy's name is Isaac, and the website is http://cyberparlor.com/  A full head of human-hair pinchbraids will probably cost you around $700; for synth, it'd probably be more like $450 or $500.

Again, though, I would do some more research on the different methods before you make any decisions.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 9:00am

is that the kind that last several months?

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 9:30am
Yup--they should last you about three months. The hair could last even longer if it's good quality and you take good care of it, but the extensions will have grown too far from your roots and that point, so you'll need to have them "tightened" or removed (this is true of every extensions method, by the way). You can use either synth or human hair for it; it's your choice. :)
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 10:30am
As a warning, regardless of the type of hair or installtion method, if you wear your hair up much the bonds will start to show through faster when it is up compared with when it is down so you might not get a full three months if you need to be able to wear your hair up a lot.

That said with professional installation that should be less of a problem cause a pro should be able to place them in order to minimise this effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic