Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tangles!!!! HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tangles!!!! HELP!
    Posted: April 28 2005 at 7:26pm
I have been using the same hair growth friendly, no cone/sulfate shampoo/conditionar for a while now and I have been happy with the results. But earlier this month i just it and it gave me the worst tangles I have ever had. I ended up ripping tons of hair out just trying to comb through it all - and I had even combed my hair before washing!
I am now afraid to use this again and have been using the same shampoo but with a Pantene (ultra damaging) conditionar that I know wont tangle my hair.
Is this normal? Should I finish off my shampoo/conditionar??
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2005 at 7:58pm
Is this shampoo/conditioner a two-in-one, or is it a pair of separate bottles intended to be used together?

The two-in-one type doesn't have enough conditioning properties to be longhair friendly. You'll need to use a separate conditioner, in the very least.

If Pantene makes it tolerable, then go ahead and use it up.

I used to give shampoo or conditioner I don't want to a starving college student I was related to.
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 10:52am
What do u mean 'u just it?' Sorry, but I don't understand. 
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 11:05am
Looks like there's a missing word there.

Also, don't rip out your tangles. Doing so causes the hair to become stretched and damaged, which will cause tangles in the future until you trim the damaged part off. Detangling should be done from the bottom up. It's safer to clip a tangle than rip it, but it's not much of an improvement.

Did you shampoo your hair down, or did you pile the hair on your head? Did you wash it upside-down? Do you towel-dry by scrubbing your hair with a towel?

Do you comb conditioner through your hair while rinsing it out?

I think you're going to need a trim to get rid of some of the damage.

Edited by eKatherine

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 2:44pm
Also a good idea I find is to use one of those turbans. I can't remember what they're called, but they're like shaped towels with an elastic bit on and you wrap it round your head and your hair stays nice and protected and doesn't get tangled like it does if you 'squeeze' it dry. 
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 6:58pm
Goldielocks,

Please describe for us the method you use to wash your hair.  Maybe we can offer some suggestions that will help reduce the tangles during the process.

GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 8:28pm
Well they're two seperate shampoo/conditionars and are not the same type (ie; not a pair to be used together specially). My method before was CSC (condition, shampoo, condition) with my original products I had just described, my current routine is CSC, the first C and S with my original products and the last C with Pantene.

I don't pile my hair on top of my head when washing, I was right-side up, and I didn't really scrub with the towel, I just sort of pat dried. I didn't use a comb in the shower when rinsing. I do have to say though, I just pulled the tangles out. Since then my hair has been fine except the fact that I'm now using Pantene.
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 10:24am
I don't believe the shampoo and conditioner need to match.  If a mix-n-match combo works well, there is no reason not to use it.

It sounds like your routine should not induce bad tangles.  If you remember that day, do you think you can pinpoint something in the process which varied from normal that might have caused the tangles?  Maybe it was just an isolated incident.

Whenever I get bad tangles, I pick them apart with my fingers.  Even a wide-tooth comb just won't do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic