Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CurlyKeri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CurlyKeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Here
    Posted: May 11 2005 at 8:23pm

Hi everyone!  I just joined the boards, and joined in the craze of growing out your hair.

My hair is pretty short in the back, but long in the front, and is driving me nuts.  Thank goodness my hair grows pretty fast, and I have a wonderful hairstylist.  He told me that I should wait for my next cut for another 2-3 months...does that sound right? 

I do have to say that I color my hair (it makes it look healthier than my normal red). 

Any advice at this point in the game...ways to style, etc?  Also, i'll see if I can get some pictures on here of my hair right now this weekend.

Hope to get great advice from everyone!  With curly hair, I hope it isn't much harder than straight hair!

Keri

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 8:40pm

Hey Keri...

Welcome!

I think you'll find that natural curly hair (left to its own curl) is a lot LESS work than straight hair. When you're curly, you have a higher chance of success with the gentle hairwashing routines.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
CurlyKeri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CurlyKeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 8:44pm

Hi Anais!  Thanks for the reply.  I use Pantene for color treated hair...is there another shampoo that you recommend I use while I grow it out?  Also how often do you wash your hair?  I usually wash my hair every other day (my body everyday though lol).  Thanks also for replying so fast!

~Keri~

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 12:07am

Hey there Keri,

A gentler substitute for your Pantene shampoo can be Tresemme for color treated hair, Suave Professionals for color treated hair, or even L'Oreal Kids (all of these are gentler than that variety of Pantene)

I do a Conditioner-Only wash every 5-6 days. This is detailed at the bottom of "Cleansing Methods" in Medusa. The longest I've gone is 9 days in between washes. The following are things you can do to stretch that time in between washes. There are many possibilities:

- dilute your "dose" of shampoo in 4-6 ounces of water before you apply it.

- C-COW-C method (in the Hair Journals board)

- quitting shampoo cold turkey and doing CO (this takes adjustment time)

- mixing your shampoo with conditioner

- mixing your shampoo with some jojoba oil or honey (I haven't tried this personally)

Using gentler cleansing techniques will decrease your need for hairwashing.

HTH

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 7:54am
Hi CurlyKeri!  I don't think waiting 2-3 months is a problem.  Some people can wait a very long time between trims (over a year).  It just depends on what you want for your hair.  Hair only grows 1/2 inch a month, so it's possible he's telling you to wait so that he won't make your hair shorter in evening it out (which if you told him you wanted it longer is very considerate of him!).

Coloring your hair once or twice probably isn't going to hurt its health too much, as long as you don't pull the dye through all of your hair every time you have your roots done, damage shouldn't accumulate.  You say you need to dye it to make it shiny?  It's possible you would get very shiny hair naturally if you began to clarify once in awhile - since you are using heavy silicone conditioner, the buildup may be covering your hair's natural shine.  (Anais has some nice pictures to prove it!)

Edited to say:  I don't know what clarifying would do to your dye job though, it may not be so good for dyed hair...I don't have experience with clarifying dyed hair.

Edited by Susan W
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
CurlyKeri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CurlyKeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 9:22am

Hi Susan and Anais...

Thanks for all the great advice...I plan on looking at the Medusa section whenever I can find the time...i'm graduating college tomorrow and have family coming in today so have to clean my house pretty good lol.  At least i'll burn some calories! 

I dunno if I can do the CO method just yet, maybe when my hair gets longer I will do it.  I do plan on going to Walgreens this weekend though and getting some Tresemme for color treated hair, and I was also reading on another thread about Potion #9 by Sebastian and thought I would try that out as well and see which one I like better.

Again, thanks for the great advice, and Susan, yep, I have a wonderful hairstylist!  I always give him a big tip...he even takes the time before each cut to discuss styles that you want and never rushes through them.  My first one with him lasted about 20 minutes.

Well, gotta get to cleaning ...talk to you all soon!!

~~Keri~~

laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 6:45pm
Welcome Keri,

good luck curly hair is pretty,  let us know how the potion #9 works I was also thinking of getting some.

take care
Starfighter
CurlyKeri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CurlyKeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 9:46pm

Hi Starfighter!  Thanks for the compliment.  Right now my curly hair is more of a bush that won't cooperate , but i'm hoping once it gets longer it will look much better. 

I'll let you know how the Potion #9 is...plan on going tomorrow after my coloring appt (getting my hair re-colored and highlighted for my cruise in 2 weeks).

~~Keri~~    PS-i'll post pictures hopefully next week from my graduation so you can see how long my hair is now (or rather, how short lol)

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 10:25am
CurlyKei, Have you read the book CurlyGirl? It gives routines on how to care for curly hair and lower frizz and dullness.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

CurlyKeri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CurlyKeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 1:52pm

Hi cmesweet! 

My hairstylist actually recommended that book to me and said I could get it at Barnes and Noble.  I plan on stopping there right before my trip to pick up reading material for the plane rides, so i'll be sure to pick up that book!    Thanks for reminding me!

~Keri~

oskana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 3:27pm
u can also go on naturallycurly.com i have not joined but i have beeen a lurker.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 8:12pm
Welcome CurlyKeri!  You may want to check out the Curly board right here at the hairboutique.  Looking forward to seeing your pics. 
CurlyKeri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CurlyKeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 10:32pm

I have my pictures, just need to scan them which I will do this weekend.  They were before I got my hair re-colored, but hopefully you'll be able to get an idea.  Thanks for the great welcome everyone!

Keri...9 days until my 1st trip to Europe!

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 6:56am
Oooo!  Where you going?
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2005 at 1:04pm
Ooh, indeed.  I'm jealous. (I need a vacation.) Anyway... Have fun!
CurlyKeri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CurlyKeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2005 at 3:10pm

Hi all, i'm first going to London for 2 days, then boarding the cruise ship Golden Princess and going to Norway, Holland, Germany, France, Netherlands, and i'm sure i'm forgetting something else lol...we're visiting 6 different countries.  I'm so ready, already packed, now just have to wait!  Also doing last minute tour reservations for Stonehenge/Bath/Windsor castle for our first day in London. :)  Going to hire a private car/guide if he has the day available (we are using him for the next day as well for a London tour) so cross your fingers that he is!

~Keri~  7 days to go!!  WOOHOO!

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 6:51am
Wow, you're going all over the place!  Have a GREAT time!  
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 7:06am
Sorry for the delay in my reply, but welcome! I'm so glad to see another curly girl here! (well, I'm a curlyish 2b/3a mix, but you know )
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic