Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greying and growing long hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2005 at 1:01pm
"Dust" is a term used to describe the remains of a session (duration of your choosing) of sifting through your strands in search of split-ends which you carefully trim off (strand-by-strand) with a sharp pair of scissors.
deeanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2005 at 7:31am

Thanks -- will have to study dusting.... I am definitely going to give the hair trimming a rest for awhile --

We have really hard water where I live -- I went out yesterday and got stuff to make it softer (after reading elsewhere in Long Hair Support about negative effects of hard water).

At some point I'll get a real photo instead of my sketch -- I love the way people 'document' hair lengths, styles, conditions by using photos...

Will start a new topic about conditioner, too...

Deeanne --************If this is what over the hill is like, , I wish I'd started out here...
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2005 at 11:21am
My hair has endured fairly hard water (Florida).  Using a diluted vinegar rinse (about 1 tablespoon in 20 ounces of water) helps rinse away the minerals and leaves hair feeling softer.
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2005 at 7:15pm

Originally posted by deeanne deeanne wrote:

Hairdresser greated me with "I don't like you with greying hair" and I said "I do..."  remembering a post about hairdressers and their need to sell something.  Looked around and everyone there has colored hair, women in their 60's and 70's - good for them, but not for me. I am so much happier with my long greying locks, it fits who I am much better.

Well, I´m certainly happy I´m not in a profession where selling my craft and my services means having opinions about other people´s appearances and perhaps deflating their self-esteem!

Edited by Viktoria
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Amazing Grace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 1:49pm
I have hard water where I live and started using a vinegar rinse - 2 Tbls vinegar in 2 Cups of water. It has made a definite difference in the softness and managability of my hair.

My husband thinks it's absolutely ridiculous (but he's mostly bald, so what does he know about hair. *grin*), so I only do this about every two or three weeks when he's not around.
deeanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deeanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 1:59pm

I put water softener pellets in the water softener equipment (novel idea!) and noticed a big difference in my hair (and the dishes in the dishwasher).   I know its silly to run out, but I often do...

Nobody sells the pellets here in the village I live in, which seems ridiculous, so I have to load up when I can...I now have 200 lbs in storage, so I shouldn't run out again.

Deeanne --************If this is what over the hill is like, , I wish I'd started out here...
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 7:47pm
I don't know why I didn't think to mention this before... but you may also want to get a showerhead filter.  I've heard great things about them and they're inexpensive (about $20) and can be easily installed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic