Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OT:Faking it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OT:Faking it?
    Posted: June 03 2005 at 9:41pm
Okay for all of you with seriously long hair.I was just curious what everyones take is on faking long hair.With like clip ins,extensions,hair peices etc... Some of you have been growing your hair for years adn have the pictures to prove it.I was just wondering what you guys thought of this.You guys have worked really hard to get your hair looking so nice.?Does it bother anyone that it can be faked with sometimes flawless results.Instantly mimicking what took you years to get.i know it seems like a silly question.Most of you seem pretty levelheaded and openminded.But everyone has their vice.Forgive me if this is really stupid,I'm pregnant and crazy bored.
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2005 at 10:02pm

I try not to let it bother me, because it's an individual hair choice, but it does annoy me sometimes.  I mean, I can understand people who wear them while they're growing their hair out (cause I'd probably do that too if I could afford extensions).  But when people wear them purely as fashion accessories it ticks me off... especially when those people say it's their real hair.

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2005 at 11:12pm

thats a good point katja.I have met people who obviously were wearing extensions(you could see bonds)try to say it was their own hair.I agree I'm the type i could never let people think it was real.When I wore wigs people would give me compliments,but it would have felt phony if i didnt tell them the truth.It looked nice so I didnt feel like I had anything to hide.

And your hair is getting close katja.I saw your picture and you really dont have long til your goal.

Edited by Longhairdreams
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 4:37pm
I think hairpieces can be a wonderful thing to jazz up a hair-do. I have never tried it myself, but if I ever got professional help, I´d gladly try. I always wanted that do that Carrie Fischer has in "The empire strikes back", not the first one, but the second one with a high bun and two thick braids in loops reaching her neck. Very elegant, but I´ll never ever have that much real hair. I´ll fake that any day!
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 7:07am
I'm not offended that anyone would wear fake hair.  Maybe when mine is really long and it took me so many more years to get there I'll feel differently, who knows? 

I don't wear it because I can often tell when someone is wearing it because the color often doesn't match exactly (and I figure there'd be no way I could get anything to match - my hair looks different colors if I'm inside or outside and I don't really believe fake hair is capable of that).  I guess for me the whole point would be for it to look real (not that I would lie about it if someone asked, I'd say it was fake, but I would hope no one would ask - so I just don't bother). 

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 4:33pm
I guess the major problem is when the person claims it is their hair when it obviously isn't. There are benefits to wearing certain type of extensitions...less damage to your own hair. Such as wearing colored extensions instead of coloring your own hair  or getting a different texture instead of using heat to get that texture on your own hair. In some ways it can be  somewhat healthy...some people over do it at times tho.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 6:32pm
you all make good points.Susan i totally agree alot of times people fake it with awful results.I know most men are pretty oblivious to it.But most women can spot bad extensions.Plus I think the idea for adding extensions for highlights and texture is a good idea cause it will save your hair from the chemicals and heat you would have had to use to get them.I have short hair(which I hate)currently.i'm going to wear clip ins.I  think after hearing what people think It will make me more conscious to be honest with people.I just always hated when people would comment on hairpeices i wore.How my hair looked so healthy and pretty,and then when I would tell them it wasnt mine they would be like I thought so.Its like here's a compliment.And I'll have that back now,lol.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 6:37am
That IS kind of strange isn't it?  Like they complimented you just so you would tell them it was fake without them having to ask.  Or maybe they really did think it looked nice, and fake or not, they weren't concerned about it.  Hard to say.  I guess you'd have to decide by the tone of their voice if there was any cattiness in there or not.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
catt_grrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_grrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 7:48am
Nah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 4:45pm
yeah it was usually kind of catty.I would have rather them just said oh are you wearing extensions?Or What kind of extensions are those? Maybe your right though maybe they did think it looked nice  but didnt care about the fact it was extensions.Regardless, if they had my hair they would wear extensions too,lol  And susan w. I saw your hair site and your hair looks really pretty and healthy.I also like the first hair picture with the light blonde.I tried the blonde route but my hair never got longer than my shoulders.But i have gone cold turkey on chemicals and heat.Its only been a couple of weeks and the difference is amazing.I have also been using the CWC method.This board is awsome.I've learned so much about growing hair.Hairboutique has done wonders for my hair.

Edited by Longhairdreams
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 7:09am
Thanks for the compliment!  It's hard to give up the dye!  I know!  But I'm glad I did too.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic