Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does anyone else straighten?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
evovian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evovian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anyone else straighten?
    Posted: June 18 2005 at 4:21am

I dislike my wavy hair and If I didn't straighten it Id look bad.  Just wondered if anyone else straightens their hair here and if sometimes it just doesnt straighten, no matter how much I try now adays it just keeps kicking out and going all frizzy and crappy looking. Why is this :(

Also how annoying is it for people to have naturally straight hair, and people who wash, dry, straighten their hair everyday yet it's still beautifull and shiny... I just want to beat them up.

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 2:28pm
Wow, what a cheerful post. You hate your hair so much, you want to beat everybody else up.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 7:09pm
Well first of all everyone looks just fine with their natural hair pattern/texture. No reason to beat people up because they have something that you don't have.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

evovian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evovian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 5:07am
I'm sorry I was just joking, I appologise if I offended you both
Kristine391 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristine391 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 11:53am
There are expensive ceramic irons you can buy that are supposed to straighten your hair until next wash, if you dislike wavy hair so much.  I straighten my hair on occasion (rarely), and do have naturally wavy, curly at the ends hair.  I've come to terms with it, though, and work with it rather than against it.  I've found when working against it, there is breakage, damage and fallout.  IME!  Oh, and I think a variety of hair is beautiful - anything from super curly to straight.  :)

Kris
ChelseaB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChelseaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 1:41pm
I have natural straight hair, and it is not a joy...my hair is flat and has no body. Takes FOREVER to get a curl or wave and have it hold. I cant really modify my hair like have it straight one day, and the next day all pretty and wavy. It pretty mcuh stays straight unless I have like 2 hours to work on it.  So I would be happy with wavy hair, I think that you should find a product that minimizes frizz (John Frida's serum works) yet still lets you have waves. Then you can straighten one day and have beauitful waves the next.
Chelsea~*
www.myspace.com/chelsea_nicole_boyd
Hair Type: 1a/1b-N-ii
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 2:51pm
I don't have straight hair I have tightly coiled/kinky hair. But straightening your hair can be more damage than good. I wasn't offended just trying to help you realize that you look good either way
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 6:04pm
I would love to have wavy hair, but I have learned to accept my straight and flat one and make the most of it. Sounds like you need to work with you gifts instead of against them.
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 11:27am

I agree with what everyone else said.  I have somewhat wavy hair like you and it used to frustrate the hell out of me (still does sometimes) because I could never get it perfectly straight even with a straightening iron.  All an iron will do is damage the hair (I know people who straighten every single day and their hair, for the most part, looks awful and really unhealthy), and I know it seems like some people do everything to their hair and it still looks beautiful.  But the reality with about 99% of those people is that they're only putting gunky coned-up products in their hair to make it look wonderful and healthy.

You really just have to accept your hair the way it is, especially if you want to grow it longer.  Like ChelseaB said, consider an anti-frizz product.  Also, if you still want straight hair, there are other ways to get it besides an iron.  I use Paul Mitchell Straight Works gel sometimes on my hair when it's slightly damp- you only need a very small amount (about the size of a pea) and your hair will dry pretty straight.  And as long as you clarify regularly you should have no problem with build-up.

Oh, and one more thing: instead of trying to get it straight, why not try enhancing your waves?  Ever since I stopped fighting with my hair to be straight, I've experimented with different braids and sock-curls and it always comes out beautiful.

HTH,
Katja

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic