Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My ProHair arrived

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My ProHair arrived
    Posted: June 21 2005 at 10:39pm
I wish I had time to take photos of it today although I could probably just refer you to any Plastikhaar photos and you'd get the same idea.

I ordered from here http://afrocare.com/cgi-local/afro/getsynhair.cgi?id=156&T=S on 6/11 so it took 10 days to arrive.

A little test I did: I took Plastikhaar and ProHair (each in light blonde) and held a bundle in each hand and had the hubby feel each bundle with his eyes closed. He picked ProHair as the softest two times. I brought the hair to work and 3 coworkers all picked the ProHair as the softest.

I think the softness is there but it really takes a long time and a lot of feeling to pick up the difference.

ProHair cost/6 100gr packages: $167.22
Plastikhaar cost/6 100gr packages: $80.08

ProHair cost shipping: $56.00
Plastikhaar cost priority shipping: $27.00

ProHair length/30"
Plastikhaar length/54"

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that info out here.

Edited by amm
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 10:45pm
Interesting!

I'm wearing some ProHair right now, and while it's behaving better than some of the other synth (Trimco, f'r example), it feels about the same.

-Rae
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 10:52pm
Well, I can barely pick up the difference and only when I really rub it between my fingers. It makes less of a crunchy sound if that makes any sense.

The hair's texture is not that big of a difference to me to where I'm going to pay that much more for it. I guess if you're a real ProHair fan, not licensed and have no connections, this is a godsend.
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 11:47pm

I think the Prohair is much softer and I prefer it over Plastik Haar.  I feel it also wears better too.

I have 2 installs lined up for this week where I ordered the Prohair in what they call the extra long length (48").  It only comes in the straight texture.  The 48" hair also feels very soft and silky.   As an experiment, I put hot rollers in the 48" hair and got a very nice, lose body wave out of it.

Because I am licenced and took the class, I have the luxury of ordering from their headquarters in Atlanta, so I don't have to pay high shipping costs.

If I wasn't licensed, I would probably say that paying the higher shipping cost is probably worth getting hair in the better quality, but that's just my opinion.

Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 3:32am
I was talking to my hairdresser last night who I gave all my PH to and I mentioned that Afrocare was selling Prohair.  She said that it wasn't actually the proper Prohair that they were selling x
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 7:26am
My big issue witht he ProHair Plastikhaar debate is that I don't think anyone is lying.  I think Sara is telling the truth that she gets her hair from the same manufacturers (though different processors).  And I think that all of you who can feel the diffrence are also telling the truth.  So what gives?  How does someone change the hair by packaging it?  I understand if one of the processors has a gentler curlilng method.  But straight is straight...
I however have never tried the more expensive stuff.  And since I'm not going for the natural look very often I doubt I ever will.  PH suits me just dandy for all the crazy color selection. 
But it irks me every time.  No one has a reason to lie.  So what is the magical difference?
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 11:04am

Just because they're  processed at the same factory doesn't mean that they both undergo the same processing.  The Prohair instructor said something vague about 'special processing' to their hair.  Maybe they do something slightly different with the Prohair.

I have to place an order today with Prohair, so I'll ask them to explain to me this 'special processing', and see what they say.

I don't mean to dis Sara or her product, God knows she and the plastik haar is wonderful, but when I'm charging someone $500 to put this stuff on their head, I want to go with the best stuff available.

Edited by metalgirl
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 11:15am
There are many types of Kanekalon fibers - I called the company's NY headquarters and they sent me a glossy brochure all about Kanekalon with technical specs and everything. It's true that the fiber itself is only manufactured in Japan, but there are many MANY companies all over Asia who fabricate hair goods using Kanekalon. And again, there are about 10 different types for all kinds of applications - wigs, etc.

As I have come to discover recently, there are also synthetic hair fibers out there that are NOT Kanekalon but are 'similar'...similar yes in that they're hair shaped and colored, but there the similarity ends.

Mochachip's right: no one is 'lying,' but the hairgoods business is huge and the varieties are as numerous as the processors out there. So it makes sense that there will be variation between the different brands.

Edited by Syren123
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 11:16am
I wonder if after they leave the manufacturere if the ProHair processor puts essentially a silicone coating on it?  I mean we know HH processors do that.  It's just one of those things.  If any of us could find out or figure out what it is I'm sure Sara would be willing tohave her processor do it as well.  I mean for the love of god she's getting the PH pretipped since we all whined about it.

And I don't think it's silicone per se, but a bath of some sort similar in concept.

And I totally undertand your point about giving your clients top notch stuff metalgirl.  I however am client free (well almost, and I'm not seeking anyone its more like favors for aquaintances) and ridiculously curious.
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 11:24am

ok, I just called Prohair to place an order and asked them about this special processing.

As with most manufacturers, the response was kind of vague, but she said that Prohair has it's own special 'receipe' for the monofiber and then after it's made, they do a special 'texurizing/finishing' process to the hair before it's packaged.  So it sounds to me that Prohair is adding something else to their process.

I was also thinking that the hair feels coated with something to make it feel so silky.  It feels silky, but not heavy, so I don't know what it could be.

plastikhaar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plastikhaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 4:01pm
hi girls

no no noones lying : )

actually when my supplier buys the hair its finished!
they wont and cant do any cover or anthing to it.
BUT there are many manufacturars...my supplier has arround
50 different colour rings in natural shades.
so it can be that its NOT VERY PRECISLY the same as prohair...
my supplier told me as i was there myself that prohair seems to have
several suppliers. for ex. my supplier doenst curl the prohair.
so maybe the comany whos doing that does a special cover?

but to be honest with you. i dont care about that "cover"
its proofed the hair is almost the same and im very happy with my
supplier,
my principals are to find great quality hair for a good price
as most of my customers can not affort a much higher price,

but still MOST IMPORTANT for me are the colours!
as i dont wanna have my own hair look natural and most of my sold hair
is all fancy colours here in europe. so thats just my thing.
and thats what im very strong in, colours! : )

so no hard feelings about anything...

sara
need some great hair?
plastikhaar hair.supply
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 4:08pm
hee hee colors

I'm almost done with my current install sara.  Natural is umm not how I would describe it.  All thanks to you!
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 4:53pm
That's cool, Sara. And you do a heck of a job with colors, that's for sure. I like to play with my fancy color ring sometimes just cuz it's so neat to look at.
CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 5:09pm

Hi all-

I just have to say I've been doing Prohair since May 2003.  Looks great the first install.  I give Holly {my client} the 'Natural Body' 30". But when she comes back for a root touch up in about 6 weeks, the hair looks, in my opinion, ickk... {the ends are split and dry and the 'curl' has relaxed to straight}

Anyway, Holly is very happy with my job that she never complains!  When Holly comes for a new install, I will mention the 'steam' maintenance {learned that from Doc's tutorial-Amen!}.

Overall, I do think that the Prohair is nicer and silkier at first .  However, that 'silk' is temporary.

-Charlene

metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 11:14pm

I think any synth hair needs to be blown out or steamed periodically and reset to remain silky.

Edited by Administrator
CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 11:15pm

Originally posted by Amanda8Beechwoo Amanda8Beechwoo wrote:

I was talking to my hairdresser last night who I gave all my PH to and I mentioned that Afrocare was selling Prohair.  She said that it wasn't actually the proper Prohair that they were selling x

By Amm's pics, they sure look like Prohair to me.  I will tell you a story since I've been in this hair extensions business for over 16 years and counting... 

About 5 years ago, ProStyles sold their hair to the public {I know this cause a girl, I chatted with alot online did some really cool Prohair and she claimed to own a nail and tanning salon.  And I also bought their hair before committing to their kit.  From what I'm reading, they're not selling to the public anymore, huh?}

From my understanding, the inventors of ProStyles used to work for Dome- till one became a genius and branched off to start his own {reminds me when Pepe, the HairLocs genius, was a former distributor for EuroLocs}.

Anyway, Dome sells to the public.  I guess in Europe, hair extensions is commonly sold to the public.

Heck, if I can perfect one method and be a genius, you'd better believe that I will definitely RENAME that product!!!  Fortune 500 companies do it all the time.

-Charlene

PS. Anyway, I'm not what you'd call a 'hair maker' or 'hair inventor'.  I'm more of a 'hair designer'.  I LOVE creating the fantasy!

Edited by Administrator
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by CyberMane CyberMane wrote:

By Amm's pics, they sure look like Prohair to me. 

Cuz it is.

I don't know what was delivered to someone else but this is definitely Prohair.
CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 12:24am

In conclusion, if you're a professional like me and Lisa {metalgirl}- you must buy the ProStyles kit.  It is awesome!  They got videos, classes, resaleable hair products, etc...

I also love thier classes.  They offer you an Avant Garde course, Bridal course, also a Photo Shoot course!  The under $50 video shows how to create some funky styles!  They even have a personal ProStyles teacher who will come and stay at your shop for a week.  That's what Cindy did at her nail and tanning salon.

And what's more, they REFER clients to you!!!

hmmmm.  I wish I had more synth lovers, though.  Most of my clients are into spending thousands rather than hundreds.

Lisa, you are right- ProStyles is for the best of the best.  Good think they live up to their name- "PRO" for Professionals.  Though they charge more, they are worth it.

Charlene

PS. I am reading alot of people who want to save money.  That topic is often used.  So, have any of you tried this: http://www.hairpiece.com/product.asp?pf_id=APE501

$5 for 56 grams & 50", that's cheap, don't you think?

Edited by Administrator
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 4:58am
If you look on afrocare's website. It is the Prostyles 'prohair'. The pictures are from prostyles, the color chart is prostyles and the 'prohair' name is advertised.

Edited by Administrator
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 11:46am
Originally posted by CyberMane CyberMane wrote:

PS. I am reading alot of people who want to save money.  That topic is often used.  So, have any of you tried this: http://www.hairpiece.com/product.asp?pf_id=APE501

$5 for 56 grams & 50", that's cheap, don't you think?

Yes it's cheap. I've tried every synthetic hairpiece sells and each and every one is absolute garbage. After two days and without even washing the hair, the ends up to about 4" resembled those green scrubbie pads you use to scrub pots with.

Edited by Syren123
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic