Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S & C’s Help Please (aggrivated!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S & C’s Help Please (aggrivated!)
    Posted: June 27 2005 at 5:09pm

Hey all!!  I have gotten two great compliments in the past two days about how my hair has improved.  I was soooo excited.  Well, I'm running out of shampoo and I want something new.  I had been using Big Sexy.  ...It works great...I just always like to try new things...always looking for something even better!

So yesterday, I went to a hair salon in the mall in hopes to find a great new S & C.   -Totally Lost- I asked for help. As I'm sure you all know.... with sooo many  S & C's it can get quite overwhelming! I explained to her how my hair is very fine/thin/straight and how I wanted something for moisture because I use a flat iron as well as body because my hair is thin and lays flat.  The lady begins going around the store and suggests the matrix amplify.  I explained to her that I didn't want to try that because I heard it swelled up the root and could possibly dry out hair and break it.  I also told her I wasn't a fan of paul mitchell.  All the lady did was go around and  look for things that say for limp flat hair.  I seriously felt as if I knew more about shampoo and ingrediants than SHE did.  I picked up a Redken set (light moisture) because I figured it might be light enough for my hair considering it is so thin PLUS put a lil moisture in it.  She was like SURE.  Didn't hesitate at all...she was really no help at all. 

After aggrivating my boyfriend -- he had sat there for a good 20 mins -- I then just put everything I had in my hands down and said forget it.  I left so frusterated because I really wanted something good!  You would think hair dressers would KNOW what is good for fine and thin hair plus SOMETHING about ingredients and so on.

Anyways, I was hoping before I went to another place to try again if you all could recommend any good S & C for FINE and THIN hair.  I don't want anything that will weigh it down.... no cones preferably....something kinda of natural.  You know...the GOOD stuff for hair.  Something that leaves my hair soft!!  Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 6:52pm
It doesn't really matter what brand of shampoo you use. Here's the deal: there are three kinds of shampoo
  • Shampoos that don't clean well enough

• Shampoos that clean just right

• Shampoos that clean so well they strip the hair

As long as you've chosen one of the infinite number of shampoos that will get your hair clean enough, you're all set. It's the conditioner that makes the difference.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 9:05pm

Hi ekat....thanks for your reply....

I don't necessarily agree with you though.  For instance, with my hair....with biotin shampoo I have found it makes my hair kinda fly away even though I still use the same great conditioner. 

So shampoo is def very important ...at least for my hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 10:19pm
That particular shampoo may be one that cleans your hair too well, so well that the conditioner can't compensate for its stripping. I would class it in the third category.

AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 12:04am

Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

That particular shampoo may be one that cleans your hair too well, so well that the conditioner can't compensate for its stripping. I would class it in the third category.

hmm Makes sense...

tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 6:58am
Why not give the Condition-Only method a try?  Jennifer and I were very skeptical about trying it, but after not using shampoo now for about a month, we don't plan to start using it again any time soon.  Jennifer's hair is much softer now and looks better than when she was using shampoo.  Shampoo tended to dry her hair out and made it look and feel like straw at time.  Mayonaise would help it, but only for a few days.  The Condition-Only cleansing method has worked very well for her and we didn't make any kind of a progressive move towards it ... just quit using shampoo and didn't have any problems other than the dry scalp issue I posted about.  That was resolved with scrubbing the scalp better with the first conditioner application.  It might not work for you, but it can't hurt to give it a try for a couple weeks.  
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 7:04am
I can only share my own experience with you here.  You might like Avalon (my favorite!).  I pitch it so much here I'm afraid you all probably think I work for them, but I really don't! 

It doesn't have sulfates, and the conditioner is mostly soy protein and jojoba oil and is very lightweight.  In fact, for my hair, its even too lightweight.  I use it first, then use a heavier conditioner with a little cone in it afterwards to make my hair tangle less.  I also dilute the shampoo to avoid overcleaning.

I bought some recently through the mail and I wound up with a bottle that has mica in it, and that I'm unsure about (never tried before - seems like it would be scratchy - I'll see).  But I've bought before the Thyme - Mint one, the Lavendar, and the Rosemary, all of which never had mica before, and I was very pleased with the natural ingredient list (and I use the Lemon Verbena flavor as my clarifyer).  You can get it online, or sometimes at the GNC store (and probably other organic type stores too).

Nature's Gate is another I've tried that is lightweight.  It has a lot more chemicals in the ingredients than Avalon, but nothing bad. I found the two brand's conditioners feel pretty equal on my hair (and I use a heavier one after both).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Fallyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 9:45am
Hello Amber
I have very fine, fly away hair as well, blond and broken! I use C-Systems by MOP (Modern Organic Products) I use the one for dry hair. It is organic and smells great. The first ingredient is water and goes on to list a great list of good stuff.. for example Mixed Vegetables, Coconut Oil, Coconut/Palm Oil, Papaya Fruit Extract, Grapefruit seed oil, Madarin Orange peel Extract......the list goes on. It is a great shampoo and conditioner.
Now if i need just a little bit of a more intense conditioner, which i usually do I choose the one and only
TERAX CREMA, you can find it on Sephora, it will tell you all about it because I am not sure the indredients in it, I just know it makes my hair feel like No other conditioner I have ever used, i leave it in my hair for a couple of minutes. I can feel it reconstructing my The moment I put it in my hair. It is fantastic
I hope this helps.
GOOD LUCK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 10:36am
By the way, here's my CO routine, with products:
  1. I wet my hair by pouring over 1/2 cup of vinegar mixed with 1 quart of water. I don't do this every time, but at least once a week.

2. Completely saturate with Suave Daily Clarifying Conditioner. Scrub the scalp really well.

3. Repeat step 2, this time only saturating the scalp, not the length.

4. Squeeze out my hair and apply Suave Humectant which I have mixed with fractionated coconut oil (you could probably use almond oil) and jojoba at a rate of 1 tablespoon each per bottle of conditioner.

5. Leave this on for 5 minutes.

6. I apply Pantene or Fructis Long and Strong for gloss and combability.

I've never had any problem with silicone buildup, even though my last conditioner is always a strong conditioner. I figure this is a result of regularly clarifying, and only applying the silicone conditioner to previously conditioned hair.

AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 5:12pm
I def want to try the co wash...I'm just a lil scared how my hair will react to it.  My hair is the kind you must wash every day or its very oily.
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 5:14pm

Originally posted by Fallyne Fallyne wrote:

Hello Amber
I have very fine, fly away hair as well, blond and broken! I use C-Systems by MOP (Modern Organic Products) I use the one for dry hair. It is organic and smells great. The first ingredient is water and goes on to list a great list of good stuff.. for example Mixed Vegetables, Coconut Oil, Coconut/Palm Oil, Papaya Fruit Extract, Grapefruit seed oil, Madarin Orange peel Extract......the list goes on. It is a great shampoo and conditioner.
Now if i need just a little bit of a more intense conditioner, which i usually do I choose the one and only
TERAX CREMA, you can find it on Sephora, it will tell you all about it because I am not sure the indredients in it, I just know it makes my hair feel like No other conditioner I have ever used, i leave it in my hair for a couple of minutes. I can feel it reconstructing my The moment I put it in my hair. It is fantastic
I hope this helps.
GOOD LUCK

Hi...and thanks for your reply...where can I find this c-systems at??

Fallyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 9:13am
Hi amber,
I am not sure....I would try just phoning some beauty supply stores and asking if they supply this brand.... I know the company is called Modern Organic Products, try to search it out on the net, and get some distribution info from the site?
Im sorry I can not help more with locating it for you!
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by AmberJune AmberJune wrote:

I seriously felt as if I knew more about shampoo and ingrediants than SHE did. 

I seriously think - you probably do. 

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 1:14pm

I don't quite have time to try the CO wash yet because of work and all.  I need a time when I have a month and nothing to do.

Any suggestions for a good Shampoo and Condition for fine/thin hair?

AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 12:13pm

I tried the CO last night...it was horrible ...  I don't really have the time to wait this out right now due to work .

Will someone please suggest a good shampoo and Conditioner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 12:33pm
Horrible? In what way?

What products did you use to CO with?

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 1:33pm
It takes a loooong time to adjust to CO, or CCOWC either for that matter.
my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

It takes a loooong time to adjust to CO, or CCOWC either for that matter.

The first time I did it I used an unsuitable conditioner, one that I happened to have at home, and my hair was simultaneously greasy and dry. For the second time I went out and purchased one of the conditioners that was recommended, it was successful and I've never looked back.

So there are conditioners that are absolutely unsuitable, and then there are those that will work only for some people. Plus, I suppose there's an adjustment period for some people, too. I just didn't experience that.

AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 3:55pm

no one is really listening to my question

Can ANYONE recommend a good shampoo or conditioner for fine/thin hair with natural stuff in it...preferable no cones?

AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2005 at 12:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic