Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which shampoo’s & conditioners?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rainfrogg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainfrogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which shampoo’s & conditioners?
    Posted: June 25 2005 at 6:12pm

It seems really overwhelming when choosing the right stuff. I know everyone is different and reacts different to products, but I want to try and go as 'natural' with my products as I can. I am recovering my hair from unbelieveable damage from over dying(meaning, cutting it off and trying to grow it as healthy as possible). I know that SLS is very bad for hair, and thats about all I know. I've got everything covered nutritionally but need help with the products. Thank you!

Tracy

LRM1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRM1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 5:21pm

Hello Tracy,

I have also been checking and reading labels, but just started.  I found KMS Silken.  It seems to have a healthy ingredient list.  I haven't started using it yet, am trying to finish my other stuff first.  I found it at the Hair shop in our Super Wal-Mart here.

Good Luck... Lisa

Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 12:29pm

Oooh, if you want to go natural with your ingredients try Organic Root Stimulator hair mayonnaise.  It's for deep conditioning and it's got some great hair ingredients.  This product is also fairly cheap- I got it at a drugstore for only $10 and it works great on my hair (which has also been damaged by chemical treatments).

Here's the website where you can have a look at the product and the ingredients:

http://www.organicrootstimulator.com/products/mayo.htm

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
Fallyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 1:48pm
There is a new line from AG, called IV! It is sold in Canada, and I believe most of the states as well. It is a VERY good line for the hair. There is only about 6 products in all:
1- Shampoo
2- Conditioner
3- Smoothing Creame
4- Flat Iron Spray
5- Shiner Gel

The last one I forget. But, the line is great on the hair, each product has a special ingredient that does something a little different to the hair. For example, the Shampoo contains an ingredient that helps to nourish the hair more than regular shampoos...ect! The line is very natural, the first 6 ingredients on the list are all plant extracts, the whole is fantastic, it feels great in the hair and I do not think I have enough space to rant any more. Try to find it or possable check out AG's website!
Good Luck
rainfrogg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainfrogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 8:35pm

Wow, thank you very much for all the suggestions! I will definitely give them both a shot. I just want to treat my hair so it will last you know? Before I kinda took it for granted . I come here everyday for motivation from you guys. Thanks again.

Tracy

Suers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 11:33am
natural oils such as jojoba oil and shea butter are great for dry hair.   I put shea butter on my hand to melt (walnut size bit) and then spread through my hair and shampoo. Jojoba oil is good to use on wet hair after shampooing and conditioning. Just a bit through the ends and air dry. It can also be used on dry hair and brushed through at night. It seems to disappear otherwise use it the night before shampooing.

A small bottle or jar of either seems expensive but they will last a long long time because a small amount is used everytime.

I have a hard time finding a conditioner that will work for my dry hair and also detangle well. Often I use two at a time (one expensive and one cheap) and a bit of leave-in (Paul Mitchell Le conditioner, huge bottle, had it a long time).
Fallyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 1:33pm
yes, Jojoba oil is great. It is really exspensive because it is actually a natural replica of the sebum your scalp produces. It is also a great cure for itchy or dry scalp. Dont use to much of it tho, it will build up on your hair and scalp.
Good thought Suers....I forgot about Jojoba!
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 9:15am
umm...how can jojoba buildup on your scalp when it actually helps to break down buildup on the scalp?
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 9:21am
I've never found jojoba to build up, except if I use too much of any oil my hair gets stringy.

My scalp has plenty of oil naturally, but since I only apply jojoba to my ends, that's not an issue. Once in a while, if my scalp is irritated I apply a mixture of jojoba, rosemary oil, and tea tree oil and wait 30 minutes before washing.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic