Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie....Intro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
16Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie....Intro
    Posted: June 23 2005 at 11:29am

Hello Everyone!

Just want to take a minute and thank ALL of your for your tips and encouragement.  I've learned so much from this board in the short time I've been reading.  Right now my hair is about 1" to 1 1/2" long.....and this is 3 weeks after last cut and clip...yep, I went to a barber and had it clipped in back and on sides.  Well, I am 53 (okay...almost 54!) years old and have decided that I am going to grow it out.  After listening to all of your wisdom here is my plan....no cutting by hairstylists.  Vinegar rinse and deep conditioner once a week.  No more color (I have silver coming in my naturally brownish black hair...quite nice actually).  No brushing.  No harsh shampoo or conditioner.  I did buy an ION blowdryer for desperate days...but will use it on cool setting.  Told two co-workers with long lovely locks I wanted to grow it out and asked them to be there for me on bad hair days!  Ha Ha!  My hair is fine and medium thin so I am going for mid back length at most...but reserve right to change mind at any time. 

Please know that all of you really do teach and encourage all of us!  Thanks again!  Will keep you posted.

eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 2:34pm

AWE, I love your name, 16paws.  I'm a total animal lover too!

Goodluck with your growing out of your hair.  And I like your statement that "I reserve the right to change my mind at any time"!!

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 7:16am
Congrats on your decision!  And 16paws, wow, that's a lot of little feet!

I would like to add that brushing is, to some extent, not terribly evil for hair.  For detangling, a wide toothed seamless comb is the best for many reasons, but brushing after detangling (with a good brush - good in the sense that its good for your hair - no hair-tearing parts etc.) does offer some benefit in that it stimulates the scalp's blood flow.  (Of course if you don't want to brush, a good massage with fingers while washing is just as good!).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
16Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 8:06am
Thanks for the support!  Yes 16 paws is a lot of little paws...I have 4 mini dachshunds.  My hubby says NO MORE DOGS!!! But he spoils them as much as I do :-)  Susan, I will take your advice about the brush....I'm assuming you mean a natural bristle brush right?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 10:17am

Any brush that doesn't have any catchy parts is fine as long as you already detangled your hair before you use it.  The ones with the little plastic ball on the end of each bristle are bad because after awhile the plastic starts to peel off and it can pull and tear your hair.  Mine is a cheap plastic goody brush though, with no seams on the bristles and no ball on the ends of them and it's fine because there's nothing on it to tear hair.  Natural bristle brushes (like a boar bristle brush) is very commonly used by long haired people to distribute a small amount of jojoba oil through the hair (again, used after already detangled because they aren't very efficient detanglers).

Come to think of it, I have 16 paws in my house too, 2 cats and 2 guinea pigs!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 11:47am

Great project, 16paws! I love the idea of that silver streak you have in your hair (envy!). I hope you will enjoy your long hair journey as much as I have done. And this board, and any really good friends, are what gets you through the bad hair days, for sure. But believe me, bad hair days will get fewer and fewer...

Good luck!

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 12:07pm

16Paws, welcome to the board and good luck with your hair!  I really admire that you're growing your hair long at an age where society tells you you're too old and it's time to go short.  I say it's never too late to have long, beautiful hair. 

I also love your name.  Your dogs sound adorable.  I myself have twelve paws in my house (3 cats) and four talons (2 birds).  Hooray for animals!

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
goddess_mels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goddess_mels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 11:15pm
Hi, Paws. I'm growing out, too. I'm almost 38. My hair is just to my shoulders now. I just cut off some layers, which I loved in the beginning but after just a few days realized looked awful. My hair is just too thin to carry it off. So now I'm starting from scratch. Keep me updated on your progress & I'll keep you updated on mine! Good luck!
Mels
16Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 8:53am

Thanks all of you....I feel as though I've found new sisters!    Yep, I've always been a bit of a rebel even at my age and figure..heck with society, if I want long hair I will just grow it. 

Susan...thanks for the lesson on brushes!

Goddess Mels...we will definitely be there for each other.

Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 12:13pm

16Paws, when I read your posting, I was thinking, "Wow, EIGHT animals, incredible." Oops! (lol)

Hopefully, on a more intelligent note, I was just in line at the tax office for about 20 minutes, and I noticed that there were five 50ish women both in line and working, all with short cuts. These women were quite attractive and all had *potentially* beautiful lengthy locks. Now, I don't feel this way about every woman, (and a few ladies do look better with short hair,) but this group would make their friends and relatives faint with shock if they spent a year or two growing their hair. There is nothing any of them could do to more magnificently transform themselves, IMO.  

I'm glad you're joining the long hair crowd. One is never too old, you know!  Bob

Edited by Bob S
Sgt.Pepper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt.Pepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 8:10pm
Best of luck with your hair growth journey 16Paws!

I've one question for you:

What do you mean by no brushing? Are you going to use a comb or just finger-detangle?
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2005 at 3:30pm
Well done. Go for it.  I grew out layers recently so that my hair is now all one length to my shoulders.  This was from a very short style.  Unfortunately, I made the mistake of carrying on with the hair dye.  Now I'm leaving it to go naturally white and realise I have the worst hairstyle possible.  I'm not going to cut it, so will have to live with the white and brown effect for a couple more years.  When all the brown has gone, I'm also thinking of growing it down my back.  I know a lady with long white hair and it is stunning.  Money can't buy that look.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2005 at 6:26pm
Hi 16Paws, and belated welcome to the forum! 

It's good to hear you have recently been inspired to grow your hair long (and of course i'ts your prerogative to change your mind).

P.S. Friends foster Min Pin's.  They usually have anywhere from 12 to 24 little paws running 'round their home.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic