Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Better of two evils?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better of two evils?
    Posted: July 25 2005 at 2:58pm
(Sorry, I posted this a few weeks ago but coulcn't get back on to check answers).......
I have found that shampoos and conditionars that don't have cones, sulfates, and other chemicals make my hair really tangled and rough. Whereas the infamous Pantene makes my hair silky smooth and easy to detangle. I know that there are tons of harmful ingediants in Pantene, but it has so far shown better results as far as looks go on my hair.
Is there a better of these two evils?
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 3:12pm

Yes... looks like your hair likes silicones. (e.g. Pantene, Fructis, L'Oreal, etc.) Silicones can be abused, or they can be used well. Silicone users should be clarifying every week or so (with ACV or a clarifying shampoo) to get rid of product buildup and other freaky shtuff. You'll also want to look for conditioners that have water soluble cones (cones that end in -conol)

As for sulfates, go for the gentlest one - sodium laureth sulfate.

Welcome back  HTH

Anais  

my LJ, 40 inches long
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 5:25pm
Hi Goldielocks,

Is your water hard?  That can ruin the results of even good quality products.  Anais' suggestion for an ACV or even White Vinegar Rinse helps to remove the hardness, and helps lower the pH slightly (to help close the cuticles and make the strands smoother and feeling softer).

PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 5:34pm
I agree with the others. If you are having success with whatever you are using then there's no need to stop using it unless you find out later that it's no longer working.

I've heard some others lately mention that they too are using Pantene. I think it was on another board though. Besides, Pantene has gone through a bunch of formula changes over the past few years. Even if they still have cones they might be better now? Or they could be worse? But if it's good for you then it's great :)

ACCOLADY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACCOLADY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 5:40pm

Hello Goldielocks,

Nothing evil about a product that works well for your hair. It sounds as if you're one of the lucky ladies!

As Anais mentioned (Hello, Anais! ) and worded quite well, the products generally on most no-no lists can be used properly or abused. Another thumbs up to her mention of Laureth as opposed to Lauryl. I used to have a hard time remembering which was which until I thought to myself "Lauryl=ill".  On the other hand, there are hair types which prefer the "ill".

Many people see these hair product 'criminals' mentioned on websites and thus they fear using them, sad but true, posting opinion as fact.

If a product works for you, by all means - use it, but do understand how to use it to your advantage. Products such as Pantene, which I personally love and use, generally need clarifying once in a while. Pantene has also come a very long way over the years, improving their lines and using more tolerable ingredients. Any time I have an event coming up, I always plan to use Pantene for about a week beforehand.

Switching from product to product, though not too close in switch time, is very useful as well.

Though I don't know your hair type for certain, it sounds as though your hair may be similiar to mine, or at least our hair's tolerance is similar.

Glad you posted, and come back soon!

Karen Marie

Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 10:01pm
Thanks for all of your replies.
Unfortunatly, I DO have a hard water system, so with using Pantene as well I will be sure to do an ACV rinse a whole lot more (geeze, I have only been doing every other month! arg!) Glad to know that Pantene won't kill me though, lol.

Thanks again!
GoldieLocks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 10:06pm
**By the way, Anais; just checked out your sock curling how-to, it's awesome!
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 11:25pm
Thanks GoldieLocks
my LJ, 40 inches long
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 8:51am
I use pantene sometimes too because my no cone conditioners don't give me slip.    Its got more cones in it than anything else I've ever bought, but as long as you clarify, it won't hurt your hair.  I have to say that the vinegar doesn't remove enough of the pantene cones from my hair (I can tell it doesn't feel as gum-free as the clarifying shampoo makes it feel, so I do have to use a clarifying shampoo to clarify - you will have to see what works for you though.

Sometimes I also use the pantene only on the last inch of my hair, and other times I use it on a lot of hair, but only twice between clarifying (which I do every 2 weeks).  Once right after clarifying, then again a week later.  Its conyness seems to stick around enough that I don't need more.  Again, you have to try stuff and see what your hair likes, but those are some more options.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic