Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Relaxers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mizzcathy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzcathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relaxers
    Posted: August 01 2005 at 8:48pm
Thank you AnaisSatin
Hair Goal- Shoulder length growing it bra length in one year for the 8th grade!!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 1:29am

WOW, Sounds like your family has really healthy hair genes.  There are always exceptions to the general rule, and looks like you're going to be one of them! Happy growing.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
mizzcathy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzcathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 6:36pm
Well I have cousins who have their hair relaxed and waist length all in one. My hair is growing at a good rate. It's just I need to wait and keep taking the best care

Edited by mizzcathy
Hair Goal- Shoulder length growing it bra length in one year for the 8th grade!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 1:00am

Oh deary,  I think there needs to be some changes in your haircare routine then, if you want to get to waist length. You'll likely have to say goodbye to one of the two: relaxers OR long hair.

but whatever decision you make, it doesn't look like you can go wrong though! It sounds like you have great hair at shoulder length as well.

Anais 

my LJ, 40 inches long
mizzcathy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzcathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2005 at 8:44pm

well I want my hair to grow to my waist but it's only shoulder-length so I know I won't get that length in a loong time!

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2005 at 12:18pm
Hi Misscathy,

What length do you want your hair to be?

As long as you are happy with the length and condition of your hair -- given the processes you perform on it -- then there is no "problem."
mizzcathy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzcathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2005 at 1:40am
Well I don't go in chorline anymore and if I do I wash my hair after and it's okay. I have been using relaxers for a long time and my hair doesn't break as much as it used to. As long as I am taking the best care of my hair I shouldn't worry about using a relaxer or not.

Edited by mizzcathy
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 12:06am
What's the longest your hair has been and at that time had it been relaxed before?
Was it in good condition when it was that long?
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 5:49pm
Ah, now that explains more.

Mizzcathy, (a lot of) oil in your hair will act as a repellant to the highly-chlorinated pool water... which will help reduce breakage.

And I'm in agreement with Anais on the relaxers.  Just say no.  They are horrible to your hair's health.  The combination of relaxers and highly-chlorinated water is distinctly hazardous to the health of your hair.
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2005 at 7:48am

what can help is to wet your hair down in the shower beforehand, and then put conditioner in it.  wring it out but dont towel dry, and tuck it under a swimming cap.

Afterwards, wash and dry as usual

mizzcathy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzcathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 6:17pm
um... I have been using relaxers since the 4th or 5th grade. In the 7th grade, I got a reallly good hair dresser and ever since I got him never have I experienced severe damage from any of the relaxers. At least it is less damaging than perms!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 5:58pm

If you are looking to take care of your hair well, and prevent damage, stay away from the relaxers. They make your hair nice for a short while, then the damage starts to show. If your hair got that damaged from the chlorine, think of what harsher chemicals (relaxers) can do.

Stearyl/Cetearyl/Cetyl alcohols aren't actually alcohols. They are humectants (moisture attractors) or conditioning agents.

Hope this helps

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
mizzcathy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzcathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 5:33pm

Can someone delete this topic?

Edited by mizzcathy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic