Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi Everyone...My Update!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LongBraidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi Everyone...My Update!
    Posted: August 05 2005 at 6:12pm

Hi good people

it has been awhile since I stopped by...I missed you guys!!!! I just wanted to give everyone an update on my hair. My length is now almost an inch or two above my bra strap. That is actually fantastic for me being that I'am growing back from a G.I. Jane. I have learned to deal with the dreaded growing-out-layers. I just pull all of my hair up and clip it back and I don't pay anymore attention to it. I reward myself monthly with a new hair toy (clips, hair oils, shampoo, etc...) I avoid magazines with short haircuts and over opinated people that feel I should "go short". I made it through my daughter's graduation and other functions without a trip to the hairdresser. I have yet to even get a trim. I'am finding that it's not really hard to stay committed to growing my hair long again...it's just a matter of setting a goal and sticking to it.

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran~
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 1:42am

Welcome back, Longbraidz You've got the nerves for it, woman! I can hear you roar from all the way over here. Your commitment is inspiring... growing out from a G.I. Jane  (LOVE that movie)

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 6:48am
I haven't been here in a while, either, and I have to say, I'm very impressed by your progress! How long did that take? I remember seeing you here when you first began growing it from the G.I. Jane, so it couldn't have been much more than a year, am I correct?
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 7:46am

Hi AnaisSatin and Grace912,

Thank You for the wonderful compliment's AnaisSatin. Grace912, I picked up hair clippers on March 12th, 2004 and did as Demi Moore did...the total buzz cut.  It really took alot of courage for me to do that. I honestly had no choice at the time because my hair was so damaged and beyond repair. I now can actually smile and even laugh about it. I'am sure Demi got paid ALOT of money to do what she did but I was also compensated in the form of new found knowledge...and that is priceless to me. I have learned so much about better hair care since then and everyone here at the site is so encouraging! My hair grows in spurts. I sometimes get 3/4 of an inch monthly growth and sometimes even a whole inch a month. It has been 1 year and 5 months since my buzz cut. I will probably celebrate my 2 year growth with a good trim but NEVER a complete haircut and NEVER anything short!!!! My short term hair growth goal is to my bra strap...my next hair growth goal is to my butt...and my long term hair growth goal is to the back of my knees. These are just life's little hurdles to me and I can only jump them one at a time with the help of motivation, commitment, and patience. Avoiding chemicals and scissors also makes it a bit easier.

Edited by LongBraidz
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran~
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 9:24am
I think its really great how you have set goals and really stuck to them.Plus I'm sure its really rewarding to have so much growth after having it so short.And as far as the shaving your head.I have shaved my head before,it was one of the most liberating things I've ever done.From the time I was born I was force fed an idea how women should talk and act.But its like I broke through that with something as simple as shaving my head.It made me feel alot braver.Congratulations on your well deserved length.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 10:27am

Thank You Longhairdreams,

You had a shaved head too...wasn't it wild?! A shaved head definantly has it benefits:

1. I found that my scull was round and not lumpy.

2. I had no scalp scars.

3. I saved on shampoo and conditioners.

4. No use for combs, brushes, hair clips, ponytail holders etc...

5. People paid more attention to my face.

the list goes on and on but I'am not trying to "sell" the idea that a shaved head is best. I prefer long hair and always have. I shaved my head at a VERY bad time in my life. I was recovering from a hysterectomy so I had alot of feminity issues after my surgery. To make myself feel more "girlish" I focused on my hair. I chemically processed my hair twice and with those two combinations and unstable hormones my hair got completely fried so I did the buzz cut clear to the scalp. Afterwards I cried. I didn't feel liberated but oddly enough...stronger. I learned something from that part of my life that I will carry with me always and that is simply that a uterus and long hair dosen't make a woman complete. It's what is in a womans heart and soul is what makes her unique.

Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 11:32am

I am very pleased to hear your news, Longbraidz! I was just thinking about you the other day. DW never took THAT extreme measure when she had hair disasters years ago, (thankfully!), but I'm glad you emerged from the experience wiser.

The "empowerment" issue that *you* discuss, LHD, is a very sad commentary, in my view. So many women struggle with beauty issues. I wish young women would simply accept themselves as fully valued human beings, and enjoy being themselves. Hair has zero to do with a person's worth. *sigh* Blessings, Bob

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 3:45pm
Hi Longbraidz, and welcome back!  So good to hear you upbeat and positive (and making great progress toward your hair goals, too).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 6:05pm

hey DaveDecker,

it's good to see you buddy  I LOVE the new hair Pic!!!! Your Pic is such an inspiration and only motivates me even more to stick to my goals.

Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 10:48am

Great to see you, LongBraidz, and what an inspiration you are! I´m so happy that you are happy with your growth, and confident enough to get through formal occassions without rushing to the hair dresser!

Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

The "empowerment" issue that *you* discuss, LHD, is a very sad commentary, in my view. So many women struggle with beauty issues. I wish young women would simply accept themselves as fully valued human beings, and enjoy being themselves. Hair has zero to do with a person's worth. *sigh* Blessings, Bob

You are so right, Bob, unfortunately. Many women never get to this point however, and never experience the liberation from the beauty-angst. I wish everyone would. That´s what "girl power" should be all about...

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 1:36pm
I agree it is sad.Too many women have this idea of how they should look.I know myself I was taught early on ,long hair equals femenine,short hair eqauls man.So by shaving my head i proved i wasnt a slave to that close minded theory.My own story isnt sad. I was only 20 when I shaved my head.I think I am lucky to break away from those ideas earlier on rather than later.Your right hair doesnt symbolize a persons worth.Doing stuff with my hair is purely ornamental now.And I do feel like a valuable person.Shaving my head was a positive thing,I dont base hair on my self worth like so many others.
Tiramisu2c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiramisu2c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 10:29am
I totally admire you for your strength.  I also envy your ability to be comfortable in any hair style 
What's funny is that for as long as I can remember, I have HATED my hair.  It wasn't the wash-n-go type, and I remember SPECIFICALLY coming home in 1st grade numerous times crying to my mother about being the only one in class with curly hair aside from a boy in my class.  LOL, it was devastating to me to be "different." 
I'd say it wasn't until about my freshman year of college (which was 2 years ago) that I really started to love my curls.  I'd leave it down rather than ALWAYS put it up, and I actually LIKED looking different from all of the girls who flat-ironed their hair.  However, it took me a long time to get used to the feeling of hair on my neck as I had always worn it up.  At times I was uncomfortable of how voluminous it was, or how much attention it may have been attracting, so I always carried an extra elastic with me, lol. 
My point is, I probably would not be comfortable ever shaving my head...not that I wouldn't like to empower myself, but somehow I feel that growing my hair out long would do just that.  I have never ever had hair longer than an inch or two past my shoulders, lol.  My hair is just so heavy and wavy that I always cut it or something to get it off my neck.  But I am gonna do it this time.  Not necessarily to be more feminine but to resist indulging in my every urge to change my appearance. 
I commend you!

"Long Hair Wishes and Frizz-Free Dreams!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 11:23am
Thank you so much.I am glad that someone saw that it was a positive thing for me.And I completely understand about not being satisfied with your hair.I have stick straight hair,and I always wished it was curly,go figure.And I agree growing hair long can also be very liberating.It takes alot of time,patience,and maturity to grow your hair long and healthy.A true show of character IMHO.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic