Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slip-N-Slide Install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slip-N-Slide Install
    Posted: August 06 2005 at 6:00pm

So,  I'm thinking maybe Syren had this issue, but I'm on the delivering end.    I did a great pinchbraid install on a girl, maybe 110 braids, all tiny really good looking, seemingly tight.  I was bragging that it was my best install ever. 

So, anyway,  she has this super healthy strong straight asian style hair.  Thirty or more of those strands slid out in less than a week.  I just don't know.   She brought me a braid to see how it slipped out and the suckers were still tight... just not attached to her hair.

I just can't figure it out.  It was a friendship install, so there are no hard feelings, but I'm reeling from feelings of incompetency and confusion.  It occurs to me that perhaps I shouldn't install on people with super healthy hair.  Any thoughts?

metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 10:40pm

As I am just getting into pinchbraids, that's a scary thing to happen!

You took the Hair Police class, right?  Can you email HP and tell them the situation and see what they have to say?  Maybe they can offer some insight as to why this happened.

Dunebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 5:56pm

When I used to do my own modified version of pinchbraids, I used to take a regular needle and thread and sew a few times through the little braid after I was done and I never had any slip out. I'm not professionally trained by any means, but perhaps for slippery hair, after you're done with the pinchbraid you could put a needle on the thread thats attached and sew it through the actual braid part a couple times.

As I say though, I'm not at all a professional so maybe thats something thats already done when you do pro-pinchbraids or maybe it's not such a great idea! Figured I would just throw it out there because it always worked for me :)

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Scotchyroo Scotchyroo wrote:

So,  I'm thinking maybe Syren had this issue, but I'm on the delivering end.    I did a great pinchbraid install on a girl, maybe 110 braids, all tiny really good looking, seemingly tight.  I was bragging that it was my best install ever. 

So, anyway,  she has this super healthy strong straight asian style hair.  Thirty or more of those strands slid out in less than a week.  I just don't know.   She brought me a braid to see how it slipped out and the suckers were still tight... just not attached to her hair.

Oh Scotchy...that is exactly what happened to me. It also happened to RoseRose. I'm not Asian, but my hair is the same in that it's silky and strong, but finer than asian hair. And yup - the braids slid right out. They were just as you described - tight and still together, just not on my head.

That's too bad! Especially after all that work. What kind of hair did you pinchbraid on your friend? Synth or HH? Mine was Plastikhaar. BUT...I had had pinchbraids done about 8 yrs ago using His&Her cuticle hair and it, too, slide right out in less than 2 weeks.

Don't feel bad. Field testing shows that while many, many people have great success with PBs, there are some of us for whom it will NEVER work. Super silky hair just doesn't have enough 'teeth' to hold on unless it's colored or other processed.

Poor Scotchyroo. Shake it off, babe. Keep doin' it.
Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 10:00pm
Thanks, you know it never occured to me to talk to  the Hairpolice people about it,but I will now for sure and let you all know.  Anyhow,  I think, when I see that texture again, i'll either do shrinkies or put a dab of liquid gold over the top of the braid for security.  It's funny how other people's suggestions help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic