Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pretipping with shrinkies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
flygirl1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flygirl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pretipping with shrinkies
    Posted: August 15 2005 at 5:54pm
I have read where a few tried this?  How did it work? 

I believe I read where someone used LG topped with nail glue, and then applied a shrinkie over that, shrunk it down, rolled it, and then placed this inside another shrinkie when attaching to the hair?  Did I read the thread right?  How did this work?  I also read where some have glued the pretipped hair in the shrinkie with nail polish or nail glue?  So out of the two, which worked the best? 

I am new to DIY, and right now have Dr. Loc's pretipped HH that I topped with LG and used shrinkies for install.  I have black and red 18".  I've had these in for about 3 weeks and have been very happy with them thus far.  The most difficult part of the install was having the pretips slip out the bottom of the shrinkie while installing -- thus why I am asking about these other methods.

Thanks again for all the wonderful posts and information!  This board is the best!

elvira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 7:17pm

I agree, it's a great board, very informative. I tried the pretip LG with nail glue and then let them set for a day and then applied the shrinkie and heated it with the wand, then rolled it with my fingers. I think I might have tried two shrinkies but found it was too bulky. But then again my memory is sooo bad, so I could be mistaken. Many have been pleased with pretiping with LG and then nail glue and installing with shrinkies.

How do you like the pretipped hair? I hate to pretip!

marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 7:32pm
You have to work the shrink while hot down so it's flush with the top of the tip. The way you tiped the hair is fine. Just need to work on placing the shrinkin the right spot
flygirl1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flygirl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 9:57pm
I like the pretipped hair, but its expensive, and even though it was pretipped I coated with LG.

I find it easy to get the placement of the shrinkie and tip easy when I am doing it on someone else, but much more difficult on myself, so I was looking for an easier solution --- make sense that two shrinkies would be too bulky.  Maybe I will try preplacing the tip in the shrinkie with nail glue or clear nail polish. 
gsmilie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsmilie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 10:20pm

I found that if I put the tip into the shrinkie and heat only one side of the shrinkie to the tip, then put the shrinkie on the threader and slide shrinkie and tip up the natural hair shaft into postion then heat shrink the whole thing down.  If I do this, I have not had any problems with the end of the tip sticking up past the shrinkie.  Now, if I heat the shrinkie too long, sometimes it will squeeze the tip out and I have to do the whole thing over again. 

Yes, it is a little time consuming, but in the long run it saves on frustration of having the tip pop up the top of the shrinkie.

To save time during the install, you could sit infront of the TV before hand, and do the tip attachements all at one time.

flygirl1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flygirl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 12:52am
gsmilie,  Can you explain how you heat just one side of the shrinkie to the tip?  I read this, but couldn't picture it.  Do you just touch the shrinkie and the tip to one side of the heat wand?  How do you do this without burning your fingers?  thanks!

delin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 12:59am
I wouldn't recommend a shrinkie pre-tip...it made for a bulky install and removal was difficult.
flygirl1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flygirl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 6:38am
Well that was what I wanted to know.  Thanks!

gsmilie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsmilie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 3:12pm
Ok, I just used only one side of the wand and just touched the part of the shrinkie the tip was next to.  I did not "pre-tip" with the shrinkie, just got everything ready to install.  So I had a pretip with a almost fully (98%) unshrunk shrinkie on the end of it.  I'll post a pic, but I have to go get my kids from school first.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic