Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Special Elite Forum Idea?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Special Elite Forum Idea?
    Posted: August 19 2005 at 3:51pm

Hi all,

First off...I apologize for being MIA for the last few months.  My life has been like a Soap Opera and I have decided to write a script for All My Children based on my life since April........only kidding.

But seriously, things have been crazy but I have been lurking on the boards at least a few hours every day to keep track of things and I am slowly getting back to my normal work schedule...whatever that looks like.  So hopefully I will get back to my project to catalog everything on the other Extension archives board.

The reason for this new post is that I have to confess that it really pisses me off when the various dark forces of the underground hair extension world feel the need to swope in for random attacks.  I LOVE this forum and I feel that I know all of you from your posts for so many months. 

So after just banning two more dark diva troublemakers yesterday and today..I asked Jeff to help me figure out how to create a "closed - invitation only" forum for all the old timers here.  That is, if you guys want to do that?????

Jeff is playing around with some ideas of how to set it up.  In essence it would be an "invitation" only subgroup topic.  We could set it up so that anyone could read the posts but only invited members could post........or we could keep it totally closed so that only those invited can post and read.

The problem with letting everyone read the posts is that the dark divas could read the posts and still harrass via bmail and email.

I really hate to eliminate newbies that are sincerely interested in the topic BUT I am really sick of the sickies.

Any thoughts?  Also, I would need to figure out what to name the closed forum. Special Elite sounds so unimaginative.  Of course one of the potential downsides is that this forum which is so awesome, it might decline in popularity with all the oldtimers being in the closed forum.

I will leave it up to ya all (I am from Texas remember).

I would love if you could discuss it here but if you want to give me your private opinions instead you can bmail or email at shelton@hairboutique.com and it can be definitely private.

Thanks for building this wonderful forum.  I enjoy it so much.

So sorry for all the latest attacks and BS.

Karen

Edited by Karen Shelton
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 3:56pm
Sounds like a good idea in theory chick but I don't know how it would work in practice and it might put new people off from a very informative board.  I think if people are going to cause trouble then they'll do it, like they have with sabotarging my website today.  For the amount of time it happens I don't know if its worth bothering with.  What do other people think.  I'm thinking of saving you time and energy as these idiots have wasted enough already xxx
[URL=http://www.hairextensionsbyamanda.co.uk]www.hairextensionsbyamanda.co.uk[/URL]
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 3:57pm
An idea might be perhaps to trace back the IP addresses of those responsible like Amm did today and permanently ban them, eventually they might give up x
[URL=http://www.hairextensionsbyamanda.co.uk]www.hairextensionsbyamanda.co.uk[/URL]
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 4:45pm

Oh yeah, maybe you could show ip addresses in posts?

Its just a pain in the butt when someone whos a newbie finds a members only forum.  Ive ran across it before and said "screw this, Im going somewhere else".  Sure we would all love to stop the harassment, but I think in the long run it would do more harm then good.  But if you publicly showed an IP address attached to the post, at least then we could track it back to the persons name, city, state, and IP providor and report them for harassment.

EDIT: oh yeah, and ban them as well

Edited by Kalika
Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 8:41pm
i think it sounds good in theory as well. ik that i am somewhat new to this forum, but i have found it very inspiring (i have just ordered my first wefts to bond in, and its b*cause of u gals). i like the idea of being able to read only for newbies.

my personal idea would be to go ahead and set up this members only forum for all of the gals who have been posting for a while (and maybe some of the friendly newbies like me) that way we could all continue to help each other out. and the second part would be to keep this board up and running for newbies who need help. it could be a way for us to continue to offer help to those who truly need it, and it would be easier to ignore those who are only here to cause chaos. then if we think someone could benefit from reading posts in the closed forum, we could take a vote in the members only area and see if we cant extend them an invitation.

what does everybody else think of my suggestion?
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 8:54pm
I agree with Amanda. Besides it's the girls with shops posted like Amm and shrinky's net that get it the most and this would still happen If someone is jelous or just pissed they will attack there sites. we can handle the little nasty notes put here and at least have some say back to it. And info brought in by some of the new ones can also be very informative
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 9:02pm

I have to agree with everyone else, and I remember posting my objections to it the last time it came up. I gotta say though its a darn shame that we have to even think about it because of a few idiots.

saucyblossom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saucyblossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 9:29pm
I love this forum , even though I don't get to post often-I do think it would help if offensive post's were IGNORED and removed asap. Lots of boards suffer from the nasties. We need to adopt a strict DON'TFEED THE TROLLS policy. THese folks feed on attention- don't give in......PLease keep the forum open to the rest of us. THANKS for listening.
Early years are learning years, make them count!
Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 9:36pm
open mouth insert foot. looks like my idea is not liked. it was just a suggestion. and i like the "DO NOT feed the trolls" policy idea.
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 10:11pm
Yah, keep it open.

As far as "feed the trolls" goes, this wasn't even a troll in this case. This was a member who was currently part of this forum, actively participating, and whom I personally had a decent rapport with both here and in PM. Frankly, when I found out who it was I was like, what the hell just happened here?

I could say a lot more but I think I'll just end it with...   

Thank you, Karen & Jeff!   
kirstyx1888xmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirstyx1888xmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 3:13am
ye i think it would be a shame if other people couldnt benefit from the board.
sassyhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassyhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 7:51am

I might not post often but I do come on here and read all the threads daily if not more.  Its very informative and its a shame that people try and leave negative remarks about others. 

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 8:17am
I know I'll b e in the minority but what the heck I'll state my preference.  I like the idea of a read only for newbies subforum.  My only question is do you think the people given access to it would post in the non restricted access forum?  I would.  But I could see myself only posting showoffs where trolls couldn't come rip me to shreds.  Then again I suppose they could start their own threads in the newbie forum in order to say nasty things about me...
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 8:44am
Now there's an idea. In addition to the public forum, a no-access area but for members only where we can put our showoffs. I mean, not even viewable unless you can log in. I wonder if that's possible?
TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 12:05pm

as much as i think ignoring the ignorant is best, Amm would you share with us who this is, i personally think we should all know so we can be aware!

thanks-

Bringing beauty, one head at a time...
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 2:02pm

Originally posted by amm amm wrote:

As far as "feed the trolls" goes, this wasn't even a troll in this case. This was a member who was currently part of this forum, actively participating, and whom I personally had a decent rapport with both here and in PM. Frankly, when I found out who it was I was like, what the hell just happened here? 

I just assumed it was sweetcandy or someone else with too much time on they're hands.But thats a bit disturbing to think it was a regular member.I would have never suspected any of the regular members.

elvira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 2:22pm

I would like to see it stay open. Close it for a few annoying posts? No matter where you go in life, there will always be a few that to try to spoil things. They don't bother me, I find it pretty sad actually.

Do not respond/react to the negative toxic posts AT ALL even when tempted. They win if you respond. They are purposely trying to bust your bubble and get everyone all worked up. Just ignore them and lets get back to talking about what we are hair for.

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Longhairdreams Longhairdreams wrote:

Originally posted by amm amm wrote:

I just assumed it was sweetcandy or someone else with too much time on they're hands.But thats a bit disturbing to think it was a regular member.I would have never suspected any of the regular members.

it was a regular member?

Im behind on the gossip.

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 9:41pm
I'm clueless, too, Kalika!  What'd I miss? ...I'll go looking.

Anyway, I know we get some really annoying malicious people on occasion, but I'd hate to shut out newbies with genuine questions and insights.  I'm going to vote for open.  Admittedly, I'm not one who's been under attack, but that's how I feel until I'm persuaded otherwise.

P.S.  Karen, great to see you back!

Edited by leia1979
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 10:49pm
Yeah, its obvious that it goes beyond your run of the mill trolls.And probably always will.I agree with the majority,shutting out new people would be a shame.I think displaying the IP address would be a good idea.I know they do that on the going blonde board,and it seems to at least help with the trolls.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic