Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Books on Braiding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Amazing Grace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Books on Braiding
    Posted: August 24 2005 at 7:57am
PurpleBubba mentioned elsewhere on this forum that there is a good book by Anne Akers Johnson called Braids: A Book of Hairstyles.

Are there any other good books/videos for braiding? I know that as my hair grows, I'll be wanting to do more with braiding. DH has agreed to attempt to learn how to braid, so we need some resources.

Thanks.
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 8:03am
Karren Ribble has a book & video
http://braidedimage.com/

She also recently did an interview and a Q&A thread at this site.
interview
http://www.longhairloom.com/braidedimage.html
Q&A
http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=235232& messageid=1122532279

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 8:06am
And while we're on the subject,

dreamweaverbraiding.com

and Thomas Hardy has a book called Great Brais that has a lot of styles but his instructions involve using different colored string like drawings to illustrate the instructions. These might be hard to understand. Plus the book doesn't lay flat.
There's also a book called the Usbourne or Ushbourne book of braiding.

Anne Akers Johnson also has one for little girls called Braids and Bows.

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 2:03am

what kind of braiding were you interested?  more for updo's and the like, or things like cornrows and ethnic styles?

amazon.com had a HUGE selection, Im sure if youbrowse through you will find a ton of books you like :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 5:59am
I'm interested in things like updos and french/lace/crown braids. Mainly the sort of things that are on the dreamweaver site. Sometimes I find it easier to read stuff from a printed page rather than a web page.
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 10:18pm
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 11:51pm
Try to find braiding books that show you how to braid your own hair.  They are a lot more helpful than the ones with the instructions showing a second person doing all the braiding.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 1:28am

One way to learn to braid that helped me learn every type of braid in the world...use a string mop head to practice.  Some of the instructions on the web drive me insane and I just can't visualize them in my head.  So I get out my mop and then first braid on that.  Then I can translate to my own hair. 

I also do this when I am writing about updos and creating step by steps.

I tied the mop to a railing but I used to use while attached to the stick.  I cut the ends so that all the strings were loose but it works great and they are not expensive compared to getting a wig and wig form.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 1:44am
That reminds me of the first braids I did.

I took a cheese puff can and poked some holes in it. I then fed some string through the wholes. Then I braided the string. At the time I was using the Anne Akers Johnson book.

Another tip similar to this is to get a practise head.

I went and got a wig and a styrofoam head.
Here are some pictures of braids I've done

Regular

Rope

String braided with the hair in 2 side braids that meet in the back to form 1 braid

You can also go to a toy store and get a Barbie or My Scene head for about $20

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 1:46am

hahahaha, sorry but her expression cracks me up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 1:50am
and the morale is that practise led to this last year.

My first regular braid

First Rope

Same Rope later undone a tiny bit and redone to fix.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 1:54am
That head was plain white when I bought it. I painted it. That's the second head. The taller one was too awkward to work with.

The name is Hanna (hair is red like henna)

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 2:36am

Thanks PB.

Love the braids and the ideas for heads to practice with.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 2:51am
Thanks Karen.

The wig is one of the kind that has a wide stretchy head band attached to it. I remember looking at the wigs that the beauty supply store had and they were all shoulder length or above hair and were like $50 or more. Finally I asked if they had any long hair wigs and the lady showed me that they had these. They come in a plastic package like you'd find on a shelf or rack. Maybe a halloween store would have them too.

If I remember correctly the wig was about $20 and the tall head was $7. Then you need a box of T shaped wig pins for dollar or so.
When I went and got the smaller head last year it was $4.

I also have 2 actual cosmetology school manikins. From when I was going to school. You can find one at Sally Beauty for about $35 but don't forget to buy the clamp if they don't come with one. Sally usually has the heads in plain yellow or brown cardboard boxes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 3:52pm
Thanks for the ideas for practice.

However, I have a friend who has hair that is between BSL and waist and she has agreed to let me practice on her.

Sometime...

When our schedules mesh...

I better just buy a mop!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic