Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Henna?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rainfrogg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainfrogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Henna?
    Posted: August 27 2005 at 5:10pm

Hey, I already asked this question on the color board, but they seem to not like henna much. So, is it bad? Cause everything I've heard is usually good, saying it 'strengthens' the hair, makes it look better ect. The only difficult part would be coming up with a perfect mixture to make the henna(which is red-orange) more of a cooler tone(more true red rather than burgundy, I'm a cool tone, but leaning toward neutral) and I hear you can add a little indigo to make that happen. So really, is henna bad? I know it's messy but thats ok. Thank you guys! Sorry if this question isn't really related to long hair =/. Although it kinda is cause I hate my nat. color, and only bright reds or blondes look good, and i will not bleach cause I want longer hair. Thank you for any help!

Tracy

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 10:38pm

I loooove henna. It was Prabda henna from Everyday Mehndi, used on only a portion of my hair, but it looked great and it's lasted (for the most part) for the past month. I've retained about 75% of the color since the application. I would recommend doing indigo and henna in different steps if you were to do both,

but in your case, you'd only be making it "cooler". Indigo would probably be too drastic.

How about adding herbs such as cloves, or using warm black tea in your mix?

Amla might also make the red-orange more muted.

Hope this helps

Anais

ETA: Henna has not changed the texture or feel of my hair, as far as I can tell, but then again, it hasn't changed the texture or feel of my hair.  It does not damage hair at all. The most important thing is to test it on a hair blob from your brush or your carpet, to make sure the henna doesn't react strangely with any past dyes or chemicals you may have worked with.

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
buckiefairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckiefairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 7:49am

Yeah henna rocks! It makes my hair lovely and shiney and healthy. Just make sure it is henna your using and the supplier hasn't put any dyes in it. I've never heard anything about it being bad for your hair, appart from people ending up with a colour they dont want. The proper name for henna is Lawsonia Inermis btw. Adding strong tea/coffee makes the colour richer, but I wouldn't use indigo if your wanting it red. Getting the right colour you want is a challenge and totally unpredictable. Many-a-time I've ended up making the henna the same colour as my hair already is! Try http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/ for more things to add to the henna etc. Good luck

Buckie

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Delenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 8:18am
I ditto the hennaforhair.com site, definitely take the time to absorb (bad pun!) the truckload of knowledge on that site before you put *any* henna on your hair.  On the mixes page that Buckie linked you'll see different recipes to make different shades of red, also keep in mind that your own natural color will add your own personal touch.  I'm currently saving any shed hair for a henna test, they sell 'sample sizes' on that site so I can mix some up and see exactly what I'll end up getting without having to take the total plunge.  I'll also be able to see how my hair reacts damage-wise.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic