Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Today Show Bride to Be

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 9:21am
Hey Kramer so is the Today Show gonna show Sara and her husband one year from now? Hopefully then it will be atleast back to waistlength.
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 1:49am
Actually, I think we just keep repeating ourselves.
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 12:11am
Sorry, Rod, I like Jared's observation better than your explanation. Although Sarah had no idea which style the viewers would choose, she knew there was a good chance that most of her dress would be showing. Obviously the hairstyle footage took hours to tape and they only showed a few minutes of it on The Today Show, so we'll never know the entire conversation. I still look at it as a waste of beautiful hair. But I like how passionate we are on this topic. Cripe, this is the 48th response to the original posting. At the risk of being predictable again, I hope that when Sarah and what's-his-name are videotaped on their one-year anniversary that Sarah's hair is longer, and the two-year anniversary is even longer and so on.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 9:26pm
Long hair can be very heavy on a woman's head in an updo and is far easier
to style when it's shorter.
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 8:36pm
that's ridiculous why did she cut her long hair if she was gonna wear it in a updo it just doesn't make any sense.
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 8:15pm
She went with the updo. She wanted to show off the dress that's why she go it cut. That was also said in the interview. When she put the dress on then her hair cover it. So I think that was added reason for the cut. Kate C was the one that asked her about the cut in way it wasn't shot out as a question.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 4:02pm

Which hairstyle did she choose?

Maybe Katie can get the 10-plus inches of wasted hair and use it as extensions.

Carmichael View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmichael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 2:42pm
I just so happened to grab some of her interview I was leaving this morning. Not having recorded it I'll paraphrase:

She admitted that prior to the cut she had been wanting to cut it for some time. She said that her hair had grown to the middle of her bottom and was causing her problems like getting caught in the car door and at this length it was a pain and generally in the way.  She said that she surprised her friends who didn't know that she was going to cut it. She said that everyone including herself and her fiance thought it looked fab. She readily agreed with Katie who commented that her hair was still very long. She implied that she never had any angst since cutting it for the show. She never commented about LOL or donating her hair as an excuse to cut.

Now, I know that no matter what's reported there will still be more than a few here will choose to beleive that she was somehow brainwashed by Today Show producers and would prefer to have seen her to be an emotional wreck over her clearly regrettable decision but none of that appeared to be the case to this observer.

And yes Kramer it looked like they cut off more than 10 inches to me too. Her hair was nicely waved and the long layers they cut around her face looked impressive too. She was seated and they didn't show her from behind but I'd say it probably falls to somewhere above the small of her back now.

"Your so vain, you probably think this post is about you."
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 11:53am
Sorry I missed that conversation. How did the topic of her haircut come up? How did she look? Was it curled again? To me, it looked like they took more off than the announced 10 inches.
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 11:16am
By seeing her on TV today she was glad that she did it. She wanted to show off the dress.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
oskana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 11:01am
i dont understand this arguement. Not everyone is attached to their long hair. who knows maybe she was looking for a change and just never got around to it. or maybe simply she just didnt care that much so she took the stylist suggestion and went with it. yes its true stylist will naturally recommend a cut anyways, she could have surely said NO, but obviously it wasnt that serious.  i think u guys are more upset about her hair cut than she is
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 8:18am

Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Hardly a violation of rights.  Rather, I believe that the impetus for the most meaningful changes come from within.

Not arguing that.  And who said we were talking life altering change?  That's part of my point.  Simply that every person with really long hair isn't immediately going to break down if they receive a suggestion to cut it or be permanently damaged if they do.  Just saying that for most folks, the hair follicles aren't tied directly to the soul.

JF

3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
nooneatall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooneatall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 11:48pm

Seems to me that the conveyor belt analogy is accurate but very exagerrated. The person making either suggestion, about hair or conveyor, is only stating an opinion as to what they think would make the other person's life better even in some small way.

...and that's all I have to say about that.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by loveshort&blonde loveshort&blonde wrote:

What if the girl had real short hair and the stylist wanted to use massive extensions.  How many of you would be "complaining" about the abusive power of the stylist?

All of the people who love short hair and hate long hair?  Or anybody who hates the idea of people wearing extensions, maybe because they "cheat" and get all that length in no time, or because they aren't installed very well?  Or maybe all of the above?

Originally posted by JF JF wrote:

... Some would say yes, some would say no, and still others would say this shirt analogy has gotten entirely out of control.

If nothing else it shows that the decision isn't necessarily easily made.

Originally posted by JF JF wrote:

I disagree with "people don't need suggestions" because that implies that any suggestion is an intrusion on their personal self-image and/or a violation of their rights.

Hardly a violation of rights.  Rather, I believe that the impetus for the most meaningful changes come from within.

I believe the conveyor belt analogy is poor because of the difference in the potential impact of not following the suggestion.  Conveyor belt accidents can result in serious physical injury or death.  Hairstyle "accidents" (as visually perceived by the other person) do not result in bodily injury or death.

And regarding potential "rock god" (or whatever) suggestions, I guess you and I have fundamentally differing ideas about what we do with our thoughts and opinions.  Some people choose to accept others for who they are; others seek to mold others into their own ideal form.

So...
Originally posted by Carmichael Carmichael wrote:

If one of your buddies should up at a business function wearing a leisure suit, would you let him know, fashion wise, he had missed the boat? Would you let him look bad rather than speak up? Would be rude if you did? Would you be a true friend if you did not?

Bill Gates was once a geekazoid who wore leisure suits to important business meetings with representatives from potential suitors, including IBM... his sartorial style didn't seem to hurt him any.

Forgot to add before... And some people would see these people wearing unusual clothes and describe them as being "fashion forward."

Edited by DaveDecker
nooneatall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooneatall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 3:28pm
I have this sudden urge to go out and buy a new shirt....
...and that's all I have to say about that.
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 11:23am

Interesting shirt analogy.  On one level, it makes sense.  On another, it doesn't.  So what if the deal to try on this new shirt was that you had to give up the old shirt, and continue wearing the new shirt every day (presumably laundered daily ), but after a day or a week or whatever you decided that you really didn't like this shirt, that you preferred the previous shirt.  But wait, the deal was that you couldn't have that shirt back (let's say, for 2 years).  Now how do you feel about the deal?  Like it was a rather cr@ppy deal.

Yes, but that also assumes that if I didn't like the new shirt that there is no other new shirt that I would like and the only way I'll be happy is to get my old shirt back.  And it's not like I can't get it back, it will just take a while.  The question then becomes that if the only way I can ever try a new shirt is to get rid of the old one, is it worth denying myself those possibilities to retain my old comfortable shirt?  Some would say yes, some would say no, and still others would say this shirt analogy has gotten entirely out of control.

You wear your hair a certain way.  I might guess that you like to keep it about the same length year after year (not that there's anything wrong with that.  The same goes for those who have any particular length of hair, including long).  So to maintain that length, you make a mental note (or don't, since it's almost instinctive) to get a trim of your short hairstyle every 6 weeks.  So also might a woman whose hair is waist-length.  'Cause she wants to keep it at that length.

Actually I go every 3-4 weeks and generally because it starts to look bad.  But I get your point.

My point is that people can decide well enough on their own what length they want their hair to be.  People don't need suggestions.  I'm not saying they don't happen; rather, that they don't need to be honored.

And this is where we diverge.  I disagree with "people don't need suggestions" because that implies that any suggestion is an intrusion on their personal self-image and/or a violation of their rights.  If you and I were working a job where we were repairing the gearing on a conveyor belt system, I may suggest that you cut or put up your hair to keep it from potentially catching in the gears and getting ripped from your head or your head ripped from the rest of you.  Is that a suggestion you don't need?

If that's too obvious, then let's say that if we were hanging out and I mentioned that, given your features and hair texture, you'd have a cool "rock god" look going if you cut your hair to between your shoulders and mid-back and added some layering.  Just my opinion, throwing it out there, you can take it or leave it.  Doesn't make me think any more or less of you for taking or not taking my suggestion.  As you said, it's up to you to choose to actually do something based on it.

Now, if I berated you about it daily, that would be different...

BTW JF, I like your style of "arguing" better than that of many people, Hal.

Thanks.  And I know that Hal would be happier if we just understood that most women look better with a banged and layered flippy bob.

As usual,

JF

3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 7:12am

Hi Carmichael,

BTW JF, I like your style of "arguing" better than that of many people, Hal.

If I had feeling, that my have hurt them...lol 

Almost every woman I know would give up her old shirt for a new one... that's why the mall (and hair salons) are full of them shopping for new ones!  However, to your point, there are a few around that wear the same old shirt day after day after day. 

If one of your buddies should up at a business function wearing a leisure suit, would you let him know, fashion wise, he had missed the boat? Would you let him look bad rather than speak up? Would be rude if you did? Would you be a true friend if you did not?

Lester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 8:49pm
Are there any pictures of this woman before she got the haircut? The videos are not coming through for me. Thanks
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 6:15pm
Hey Dave don't you think that if she wanted her hair short she would have worn it short but she had it long so they should have let her keep her long hair
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 6:11pm
Anyone who agrees to appear on this type of show, is usually more than ready to sacrifice anything for their 15 minutes of fame. Wouldn't be very good TV if the professionals just said, "think you look great, and there's no need to change a thing!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic