Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trims
    Posted: October 23 2005 at 2:52pm
how much do you guys reckon is a trim? 1 inch? 3? Just curious cos I haven't had a trim since last august and the hairdresser is nagging me. Trouble is she'll definitely try and take off 4inches which is my hair growing plans scuppered

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 4:00pm
A trim is whatever you say is allowed to be trimmed.

I've seen lengths under an inch called microtrims but that might not be a term stylists know.

It does not matter whether a stylist or anyone else is nagging you. It is always your decision how much gets taken off. And if they do more than that without your permission then you don't pay, tip, or return to them.

It doesn't matter whether the person has been your stylist for 20 years or never before. You get to decide period.

Now having said all that, do not just say trim it. Give a specific length. If you have to bring a tape measure or ruler you are within your rights to do so. I've seen stylists posting on forums that they have had clients bring rulers.

Another thing is the first cut. The first cut of a trim is going to be the guideline for how long the rest will be. That's because you match each consecutive section to that original guide length. So tell the stylist that you want to see the hair that is cut in that first snip. A good stylist should show you that anyway.

Remember you can always go back for another small trim when you feel that you need it.

Good luck. I hope I didn't sound too preachy.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by LadyFrog LadyFrog wrote:

how much do you guys reckon is a trim? 1 inch? 3? Just curious cos I haven't had a trim since last august and the hairdresser is nagging me. Trouble is she'll definitely try and take off 4inches which is my hair growing plans scuppered

Hi LadyFrog,

You should not care what your haircutter thinks.  Your haircutter is being paid to do what you want her to do.  This is the nature of a professional service provider.

If you can't trust her to trim the amount you want to have trimmed, you either need to bring along a trusted other who will ensure that the stylist abides by your request... or find a new haircutter.

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 10:29pm
PurpleBubba....you NEVER sound preachy! Your advice is excellent

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 10:38pm
Thanks Rini. :)

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 8:46am
I wouldn't go to that hairdresser.  To a hairdresser, the word "trim"  means "remove the ends of the hair to a point above where it looks dry or split, or to the thickest point".  And to a hairdresser, this point is often 1 to several inches up the hair, even on hair that looks completely healthy to the average joe.  So saying the word "trim" to a hairdresser is often one mistake longhairs make.  A trim to your hair is whatever you want it to be, even if its only 3 milimeters.   
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 3:55am
thanks guys, sorry I didn't write back sooer-internet broke. PurpleBubba-u r not preachy, just a giver of sound, reliable advice.

I've always just asked for a trim before, maybe this time I'll try just asking for an inch. That should work better...lol

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic