Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

heavy hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heavy hair
    Posted: November 14 2005 at 3:29pm
my hair is really heavy, esp when wet. it's not that thick or anything but when I'm in the shower etc, it becomes so heavy my neck sometimes actually hurts and I have to hold it up. Is this normal or does my hair just absorb a LOT of water?

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 3:51pm

I get a lot of "shower-weight" too. I am seriously reconsidering my own hair goal for this reason, that it would be too heavy at fingertip length and would cause me wash problems or headaches.

If it bothers you then maybe you can split your hair in two portions when washing, wetting each side one at a time and then squeezing the excess water out. You could also try scalp-washing more often than washing the full length.

What about dry weight, does it bother you? Do you get headaches from hair weight?

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 3:33am
Well I don't have this problem right now....but would some neck-strengthening exercises help?  I'm sure that there are some good ones out there....Google it and see.  I think it'd be a good idea to improve your strength to accomodate your hair, not reduce your hair to accomodate a weak neck!   But then again....I'm just really into long hair right now (it's "hair envy" made worse by seeing that FANTASTIC pic of Ladyfrog's hair)

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 10:09am
ahhhh, thank you missrini good idea about splitting hair Anais! No, I don't get headaches from dry hair weight but it is quite heavy, I never really noticed because I was so used to it but when I noticed it being so heavy in the shower I tried lifting it up when dry and it is actually heavy. How do people with REALLY long hair manage? Dave...

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2005 at 7:28pm
Center part down to the nape, and comb forward of shoulders, before washing.  Just before applying shampoo, I grab each section, lift several inches, and place (rest) it on my shoulders.  Takes all the weight off, allowing me to easily apply shampoo to scalp & lather w/fingertips.  "Release" to rinse.

Sure it weights more when wet but I've never felt that it was so much that it hurt my neck.  I'd agree with Missrini that it's better to strength weak neck muscles.  How?  Try stretching the neck -- gently at first, no hands! ... and then doing neck calisthenics with the opposing hand for resistance.  Works for me, it'll work for you!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 7:40am
Another compliment on LadyFrog's beeeaUTIFUL hair picture!  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 9:01am
Yea Ladyfrog your hair looks really shiny, straight and
long, just beautiful.
1b-M-ii type, 29.5 inches long as of 07/11/06, goal for now waist
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 10:18am
ahhhhhhhh, thank you

I tried splitting my hair and washing each half seperately and that was better. Still HEAVY but it wasn't baaaaaaaaaaaaad heavy. So thank you for that particular piece of hair wisdom. It made me joyous

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 2:51pm
I have heavy hair (when it's dry) and I get a headache when I have my hair tucked behind my ears. Never had a big problem with it being to heavy when it's wet. 

I agree with the others, your sig looks great, is that your own haircolor Ladyfrog?
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 4:12pm
Yup. It's all mine. Never dyed it/straightened it/curled it/extensionised it it used to be blonde but grew in darker as I got older. Eventually it'll turn really dark blacky/brown. (I know this because my hair colour has been the same as my brothers at his age all the time. That doesn't make sense but oh well...) What I was trying to say is when i was little I had blond hair and so did he. When I got older it went brown. And his. He is older than me and has got black/brown hair. So it's about 99.9% certain that I will too. lol, I bet you were really interested in that

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by LadyFrog LadyFrog wrote:

ahhhhhhhh, thank you

I tried splitting my hair and washing each half seperately and that was better. Still HEAVY but it wasn't baaaaaaaaaaaaad heavy. So thank you for that particular piece of hair wisdom. It made me joyous

Superb!  So glad to hear you are joyous.

Originally posted by Vicky Vicky wrote:

I have heavy hair (when it's dry) and I get a headache when I have my hair tucked behind my ears.

Vicky -- I get that too... sometimes... I think it's the pressure of the hair pushing the ears forward.  Try "loosening" the hair before you tuck it.  It helps a little bit.

Originally posted by LadyFrog LadyFrog wrote:

lol, I bet you were really interested in that

Actually, yes I was!  It's motivated me to start a new thread.. so thank you!
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 9:27am
ooh yay!

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 9:29am
I know what you mean Dave 
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 10:49am
I agree. Gorgeous hair!
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 11:10am
More compliments to add to the list.  Awesome hair, Ladyfrog!

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 12:19pm
ahhhhhhhhhh, I'm feeling all warm insideThank you!

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
gossipqueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gossipqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 1:38pm

Ladyfrog, I understand what you said about heavy hair when you wash it. when I as a kid I use to have waist length hair and when I had a shower it weighed more then I did lol. It can be hard on the neck.

letmecount123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 4:24pm

My hair is definitely not that long at all, but I have the occasional problem when I braid wet hair and twist it into a bun.  I can definitely tell that I'm using more energy than usual to keep my head up, haha.

No major problems when washing... so I can't help there... except that flinging wet/heavy braids at people can be kind of fun at times.

LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 12:10pm
lol, I used to enjoy doing that...what do I mean 'used to'!

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic