Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Maison Pearson hairbrush

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
noeyangel77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noeyangel77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maison Pearson hairbrush
    Posted: November 19 2005 at 1:48pm

Hi guys,

Do anyone use a Mason Pearson hairbrush (not sure of the spelling)  I have read that this brush is a must have in magazines like Cosmo and Glamour, but am wondering if it is worth the money.  I think a small one is like $65.00.  Since I have had a hair tragedy this past month, I am looking for products to baby my hair with.  I don't want any more damage but am currently using a Goody hairbrush.  It is fine, but I am willing to spend the money if there is something better out there.

Thanks!!

SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2005 at 4:08pm
Hi, I'm not a long hair afficianado yet, but I do use a Mason Pearson hairbrush, and have my whole life. They are one of the best brushes you can buy, feel good on your scalp, and are gentle on your hair. Hope that helps.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2005 at 11:55pm

No, I don't think Mason Pearson hairbrushes are worth it.

But the Mason Pearson wide tooth rake comb is DEFINITELY worth it.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 3:19am
Well I don't brush..so I guess this saves me money?

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 4:28pm
Anais, do you use a brush? If so, what kind is it? Thanks for the information. I'm not convinced my brush is doing great things for my hair. I do have a nice horn comb I like for scalp purposes....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 10:53pm

Hi SpecialKitty,

I'm a comb collector and that's why I don't brush  LOL, actually there seems to be little purpose for brushing, at least to me. The point of using a brush or comb is to detangle the hair. A brush is just a bunch of combs stuck together. A brush can increase circulation to the scalp, but so can a comb, and so can massage with fingertips. Hair can also be combed upside-down to increase volume, like brushes can.

Brushes also increase the chances of "ripping" through a tangle.

the favorites in my collection:

2 Heavenly Harvest horn comb (Civil War replicas) for detangling away from home, carried with me in my purse or bag
2 hardwood combs from Ric (in the Chechen) for detangling at home and for applying leave-in oil.
1 Mason Pearson rake comb (sold at HB Marketplace)
1 Rachel Stephens #42 comb (coarse toothed, for combing conditioner through my hair in the shower). A good substitute for this German brand includes Kent, also found in HBMP. 

Pictures of these combs: here, top to bottom: Vest pocket hardwood comb, long-handled hardwood comb, Rachel Stephens #42, MP Rake, horn comb from Louise Marie. And here's a picture of the HH comb, which is very very well-loved by now  

With all of these combs, I don't think I could fit a brush into my routine!

Anais

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 11:10pm
Anais!! Thank you for the great comb information and pics! I am a fan of combs, and have a beautiful horn comb that I recently bought from a lovely shop where I live. I am thinking about just using combs and no brushes, due to the fact that my hair is so fragile. You are a wealth of knowledge, and you have such beautiful hair!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 8:33am
Anais is right about everything of course, but I still brush.  I love how it feels on my scalp.  You can get the same effect from finger massage and combing, its true.  The important thing to remember if you do brush is to take your time, detangle carefully with a comb first if you can't be patient enough to take your time, and be sure you have a hair safe brush.  I don't know which kind of brush a Mason Pearson is, but if you do want to brush, just be sure it has no parts that catch on or tear hair (like no little lumps of plastic on the end of each bristle for example - these eventually peel up and catch on hair).  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 11:32am

Thanks SpecialKitty

Susan, I have a confession to make... I love how a BBB feels on my scalp and that can't be reproduced with a comb. It's like a special treat!

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Elizabeth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 2:42pm
I love my Mason Pearson brush it is my best investment so far for my hair.I have a comb in wood to detangle with.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 7:20am
Yeah, now its like a guilty pleasure and we can REALLY enjoy brushing!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic