Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

people treat you differently now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
francesgrimble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 4:45pm
I've grown my hair from shoulder length to just past the bottom of my bra strap, and have noticed no difference whatever in the way people treat me. 

I think it partly depends on how you act.  No offense, but some people get too obsessed with their hair and are always trying to attract attention with it--so they get that attention, positive or negative.  For me, my hair is not a big part of my life. I just quit cutting it and left it up to nature. 

On the other hand, some of the way people treat you has little to do with how you act, and--again, no offense--this is particularly true of the way women treat other women.  Some women are into making others conform, and they're always trying to put everybody in a box.  When I was a teenager, I was about five pounds over the top of my weight range, and people were always telling me to lose weight.  So I lost 12 pounds, which put me at the bottom of my weight range.  Then the the same people switched to telling me I'd "just gain it all back again soon." They wanted me in the "fat" box and were upset I'd gotten out. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 4:52pm
Continued . . .

I got old enough to be confident and assertive, and now if I ever disagree with that type of person, however rationally, they put me in the "rude" box.  Get over 40 and people try to put you in the "old" box--people on the net will make all kinds of statements about how you look and how out of touch you must be, without ever having met you or seen a picture. and against all evidence.

What I'm trying to say it, other people have no business whatever telling you what to do with your hair; short of situtaions like you work for a restaurant owner and they have to make all employees comply with health regulations.  So you shouldn't pay attention to random negative comments, and I personally would tell such a person to buzz off in no uncertain terms.  But, on the other hand, trying to attract public attention because of your hair is also unhealthy IMO. 

Whether the input is positive or negative, your self-image should be based on your self-confidence and not the opinions of others.

Fran
letmecount123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 10:14pm

I've always had "nice" hair, I guess... lots of natural (grease? haha) shine to it... so people were always on me about that...

But I get more comments from people that already know me, because I'll wear my hair up for a few days (bun style), and it isn't very thick...so it doesn't LOOK long...and then I pull it down and people go WHOA.  Which is funny, because my hair isn't THAT long.

Most of my boyfriends prefer long hair.  I imagine it has something to do with getting attention from guys... but there are other aspects about me personality wise that have MUCH more to do with who I date.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 10:28pm
I think attention from men has a great deal to do with marital status.  I've been married since I was 18 and my husband was 21--well, we lived together starting then, for 7 years before we got married, but we were married in everything except the piece of paper. We were college sweethearts . . . So I've been married and not on the dating scene all  my adult life.  Which is wonderful, as far as I'm concerned.

But my point is, if you're not "looking," and totally unavailable, you just don't ask for that kind of attention from men and they do not give it to you. As for my husband, he loves me no matter what I look like; which if you live with someone all your life and under all circumstances, is a very good thing.

Understand I'm not making any moral judgments--if I were single I'd be trying hard to find someone.  But people of both genders who are trying to find someone behave differently, and one thing they do is consciously or unconsciously try to draw attention to whatever attractive physical features they have.

Fran
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 4:34am

Hmm....Fran I'm not really sure what to say here. I agree with most of what you have said and I think you are an intelligent well-spoken/written lady, however.......

I was married at 21 too, and am now 33 (today actually!) so I've spent my entire adult life as a non-single (also counting the years before I was married and just dating my now husband).  I have always taken pride in my appearance and I like to look pretty/sexy when I am out with or without my husband. It just makes ME feel good and I am happy and comfortable when I know my hair/outfit/makeup are looking good.  I am not at all interested in being with any other men, however I DO seem to attract some interest and I am always flattered when I receive attention from other men (and women).  This is understandable isn't it? I mean most people feel good when they are complimented (be it on physical attributes or on their intelligence/personality etc).  Of course my husband loves me and always says I'm beautiful etc, but it's also nice to hear it from others.

So am I a bad bad person?   Happily married but also happy to be admired by other ppl? I have also admired a handsome face, nice butt etc. from time to time

Anyway, I know that this is a fun and lighthearted topic, but you just had me thinking there......

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 7:39am
Happy Birthday Missrini
Don't let the man get you down ~ me

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 22" Goal: Waist
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 10:04am

Miss Rini!! Happy Birthday!!!

SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 10:07am

My hair isn't all that long yet (just below shoulders), but I have noticed lots of attention from men since I have been wearing my hair in two braids....I think they think it is cute, so I get a lot of smiles, unsolicited conversations, and heads turning. It is something I noticed, not something I have looked for.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 11:23am
Missrini,

Of course I don't think you're a bad person.  I think all women dress at least partly for themselves.  I dress almost entirely for myself--I love having good clothes and lots of them.  My husband tries to sympathize but he's the kind of guy who sometimes says, "Nice new dress" when I've been wearing it for two years.

But women are taught, more than men, that their value to society is what other people think of them.  And that appearance should be a large part of their value.  And some, especially the insecure, value themselves largely according to how much attention they get.  I think that's unhealthy.  It's better to focus on what you have achieved than on what others think, whether that's good or bad. 

I don't condemn others for doing it but I've never at any point in my life dressed to look sexy.  I've never dressed to look dowdy, either.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 11:32am
Continued. . . . in terms of my self-image, and the way I want people to think about me, I'd rather be intelligent, assertive, creative, a lot of things, than sexy, or even pretty. 

Fran

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 11:35am

Woohoo!

Happy Birthday Missrini!

my LJ, 40 inches long
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 5:04pm

Yay!! Thanks girls   It didn't really seem like my birthday though...just another day in the life of.  I did buy myself some nice Lindt chocolate though when I went grocery shopping  and my husband took me out to dinner too.  33 is kind of an interesting number though...

Fran, I don't want to debate you on this. I actually agree with what you are saying (in principal), however the SAD reality is that people are influenced by how a person looks before they get to know them as a real person. How you look is kind of the "advertising" for your "business". I just find that it is easier to get ppl to come up and talk to me if I'm looking good....even if it's for the wrong reasons....then you can really get to know each other and the whole superficial thing falls away.  I enjoy meeting people, and my business requires that I network with other industry-related people, so looking good is very important to me.  Using your attractiveness is powerful I think.  I certainly don't base my self-worth on it, but I'm happy to use it as an assett for as long as I can.  I know that I am an intelligent, creative, assertive person inside, and so do those who know and love me, but complete strangers can't and don't know that from the outset.  Maybe one day somebody will come up to me and say "gee, you look intelligent", but I'm not holding my breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 5:19pm
If you're in the beauty business, you have to look good for professional reasons.  Amd it helps if you're in any kind of sales full time. 

I've always been a writer and editor, so people have always judged me professionally by whether I'm smart, well read, good at project management, and so on.  I'm not saying I'm ugly, and in fact last time I worked for another company, as a senior editor for a book publisher, the management was always holding me up as an example of high fashion to the other editors (a casually dressed group by preference).

It is possible people judge others first by how they look, and of course when I have any sort of business meeting I dress for it the way you're supposed to.  But that looks-impression phase only lasts a few minutes, in my experience, after which you have to prove your other qualities.

I'm not by any means saying women should not dress up, do their hair, wear makeup, exercise etc., or that I don't do those things.  I'm just saying I think defining who you are by how you look, or letting people define you that way (or letting them tell you who you are at all), is a bad idea. 

Fran

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 5:32pm
Agreed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 5:44pm
I want to ask about the henna.  I dyed my hair dark brown with semipermanent dye (L'Oreal Espresso) for years, during which it really soaked into the bottom third of my hair. I've been trying to wash it out since mid-June.  Right now it's grown out + washed out at the top third (and I've discovered I'm more of a natural brunette than I remembered, I always thought of my hair as a medium golden brown, but that's more the color I had when I permed it years ago).  The middle third is reddish brown, still not quite my natural color. The bottom third is finally starting to lighten up some--the dye goes reddish brown before it washes out and it's getting a red tinge.  So I figure in a few weeks it will FINALLY be light enough to permanent dye it a lighter color, which was the whole point of this gradual-washing-out exercise.

(There seems to be no color remover that really works on semipermanent dye--I contacted the Colorfix website and they said that doesn't either.)

OK, so I've stored two boxes of medium golden brown permanent dye in the bathroom for 6 months. But:

I've always wanted red hair--as long as it (a) turned a natural red and (b) did not do something really awful like go green due to chemical reactions with my previous dye job. (I had a semipermanent red dye job from a hairdresser that was an unnatural scarlet and I hated it. I've never gone green but having had ombre hair all this time has been bad enough).

So, what does henna look like assuming you (a) use a 100% natural henna that doesn't turn your hair  green (is that guaranteed?) and (b) you put it over a mixture of brunette and gray? 

Fran

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 6:54pm

Well I'm glad you asked   Henna is probably one of my favourite topics!!

If you are going to use henna, only use the BAQ (Body Art Quality) henna.  Horror stories of hair turning green are usually those involving commercially sold "henna" which has additives, some of which are not even listed on the box.

One of the many wonderful properties of henna is that it does even out your hair colour.  Before my first ever henna, I had been using chemical dyes (why why why??) and was getting intense roots, but faded lengths. It was always very uneven.  My first henna came out totally even and for the first time in many years, I had hair that was pretty much all one colour.  Incidentally, you should always do a test on harvested hair (from the shower, brush etc) before you do your whole head.  I was impatient the first time though, and just went ahead and did it, even just one week after my last permanent chemical dye treatment   Lucky for me, it was all good.

Henna won't make your hair lighter, but it will make it red, make no mistake.  Just what shade of red depends on: your starting colour, how long you leave the henna on, the freshness and quality of your henna, what you added to your mix, how many applications you do and so on.  Everyone gets a unique shade, but it can be controlled by manipulating one or more of the above factors.

Your grey hair will be lighter, and maybe even a bit orange at first.  Personally, I like my lighter "highlights" where my grey was, but some people don't and prefer to use a bit of indigo to tone them down, or just re-apply the henna to those areas a few times to saturate the colour.

I recommend doing your research and an excellent place to start is hennaforhair.com  Go to the mixes page and read up on what everyone uses in their mix to achieve the colour that they want.  Take note of their natural colour and grey percentage to get a good idea of what your hair will turn out like.

I hope you do decide to go on the henna journey Fran....it has been totally hair-changing for me and has been the main reason I've decided to grow my hair.  I am more than happy to answer any other questions you may have

Incidentally, I just saw a photo of myself today and my hair looked soooooo shiny and glossy, that it almost looked fake!!! LOL  My hair would never look this way if it were chemically dyed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 8:18pm
Thanks tons for all the info.  So henna is gentler than permanent chemical dyes?  That is a big concern for me.

Fran
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 9:36pm

Henna is the BEST thing for your hair.

There are no chemical dyes that are "gentle".  They all do damage.  Henna, on the other hand, not only does NOT damage your hair, it actually improves it's condition and texture.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 10:13pm
I've been reading up on the site you mentioned and another site or two.  This is not made too explicit, but it looks like some people mix something brown into the dye--coffee, for example--to get a reddish brown rather than red.  I did hit a site where they claimed henna dries out your hair and makes it brassier every time you use it.  On the other hand, that is what conditioners are for and as for brassy, I'd assume you can always add coffee if you don't like the shade you got before.  It's not like commercial dyes never dry out your hair or make it brassy.

If you don't mind my bugging you I have another question or three.  Most of the posts I read were from people who just hennad their hair for the first time and loved it. Which is great, but in terms of long-ter use:

I reluctantly quit using semi-permanent dyes (after some years) because my hair got gray enough right in front (where it's grayest) that the gray started showing up after two weeks, and I'm not exaggerating.  I'm sure your roots show as your hair grows out, no matter what, but how long does the henna stay on a super-gray streak?

And how long does henna last on the rest of your hair, that is how often must you redye?

Do you have to do the business where you put it on the roots, let it sit, then just dye the rest of the hair for a few minutes?  Or can you just glop henna on all over (which I think is easier)?

Thanks,

Fran

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 10:56pm

No problem about the questions...happy to help!

I was wondering if you could tell me the url of that site that said henna dries out your hair.  I'm always interested in the sources of mis-information   Henna does the opposite of drying out your hair. It's the closest thiing to a permanent conditioner that I've ever seen.  I don't have to condition my hair hardly at all now....it's quite amazing to me as I always had to use TONNES of conditioner before.

As for brown, I add cloves and Amla to tweak it towards brown. Works a treat for me.  Others use a little bit of Indigo, others use coffee.  I guess it's experimentation. 

I have very grey/white roots in the front and top of my hair and my hair grows fast. So every 3 weeks (when my hair has grown to see obvious white roots), I put full strength henna on my roots only with a tint brush and then mix up full strength henna with  conditioner or yoghurt and slop it on the rest of my hair (just as a treatment).  It's quick and easy for me to do it this way.  You could just slop it all over your hair though if you wanted to, it definitely wouldn't hurt, but you'd go through more henna and thus spend more money.

Henna is permanent. It does not fade....at all.  I found this quite astonishing at first, as chemical dyes always faded for me....even if it just faded a bit, it looked "old" and I didn't like it.  Henna stays rich and true for ever.  It does not wash out.  It covers grey hair amazingly well (especially with repeat applications to increase the depth of colour)  See the grey hair section on the hennaforhair site.

First time henna users are always ecstatic because they've never seen their hair look so good.  Long term henna users are just quietly happy and have become used to being spoiled (like me!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic