Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Progress Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Progress Update
    Posted: December 31 2005 at 11:59am

Okay, here is my update after two months of no haircuts, no dying, no drying or ironing and joining this board:

• My hair is now 18.5 inches (from 17.75 inches before Thanksgiving)!
  • I'm not cutting it, trimming it or dying it anymore (I'll do a trim at the end of a year)
  • I am only washing my hair 2 times a week with no greasy side effects! (This took about a month to achieve - at first my hair and scalp protested, and now it feels very natural and comfortable)
  • My hair is much shinier, healthier and happier
  • Winter hair care - I went cross country skiing yesterday and it was about 15 degrees - I oiled with shea butter, braided, wore a hat, and my hair was in great shape at the end of the day)
  • Exercise hair care - I condition-only after exercising which works for the sweat issue.
  • Started taking evening primrose oil which is recommended for hair health (along with other supplements including multivitamin, calcium, and MSM)

Thanks all of you for all of your great help and advice!

Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2005 at 4:39pm
Wow!  Your hair sounds like it's doing GREAT, SpecialKitty!  Do you have any pictures for us??
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2005 at 4:50pm

Thanks Katja! I posted a picture in a thread a few weeks ago called "Newbie Pic." I will try to take another picture soon!  Thanks for the encouragement

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2005 at 8:15pm

WOW! That's great to hear, Specialkitty  Just think... the coming year is going to bring even more good hair news!

Anais 

my LJ, 40 inches long
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2005 at 9:16pm

Yay specialkitty!!!!  Good on ya girl!  You are being very good to your hair and your hair is being good to you in return.

Can I chime in with my own "progress report"?  As it's the first of the new year, I've decided to measure (going to measure on the 1st of every month now, instead of the 10th...just easier to remember!). Anyway, I had a bad month healthwise (major surgery) and my hair has not been happy. I didn't think there would be hardly any growth...but it still grew half an inch!  So my measurement today is 21 inches!!!!!! yiiiippeeee!!!  I didn't get my usual 3/4 inch, but any growth is fantastic    I also had some shedding issues for a few days after my surgery, but I'm pleased to say that has stopped too.

Isn't it amazing how our bodies react to physical and mental stress? I am so in awe of how my body is healing itself and it's going to make my new years resolution of living a healthy lifestyle so much easier to keep.  I feel like I respect my body now more than ever before

Anyway....I'm going off on a tangent.   Keep us posted with pics too specialkitty.  Maybe take a photo on each measuring day?

Grow grow grow.....

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
juri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 4:33am
Congratulations on your progress, Special Kitty!

Miss Rini--Sorry to hear about your sugery. I hope you're doing okay. Anyway, congratulations to you too on your hair's progress!

14.5/29.25/39
1b NC ii/iii
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 7:21am
Yay-well done! Ummm, by 15 degrees do you mean in F? What's that in C? I don't understand...

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 8:32am
Congrats! She must mean F as that in C would just be like spring temperature I think.
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 9:46am
Yeah, thats why I was puzzled... waaaaah!!!

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 12:23pm
15 degrees Farenheit! It was super cold and I was a bit worried about my hair, but it did fine. Thank you all for being so supportive. I will take a progress photo soon. Anais, your new sig pic is so beautiful! Miss Rini, congratulations on your hair growth!!!! 21 inches - I am so impressed by how fast your hair grows. Mine is somewhat slow, but I'll take any growth if it is healthy hair.
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2006 at 9:18am
15 fahrenheit= -9 celcius

Wow, that is freezing!

Just clarifying it for us non fahrenheitys.

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
letmecount123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2006 at 11:15am

Well I don't have any new growth or inches to report, but I think I'm beginning to win the battle on split ends.

I had 3" cut off on December 21 to get rid of really frustrating damage at the ends of my hair.  Since then I've been using some high quality shampoo/condition (received as a Christmas/Birthday present) and also got a big thing of AG Leave-In Conditioner.  Instead of fighting with my hair for 20 minutes every day to detangle it, I just throw in a pump of leave-in and the comb slides right through.  I'm in heaven!

I never did dye my hair (except maybe for once or twice when I was 15 and had short hair) but I also intend to maintain without trimming, and as much as I'd like to eliminate drying, I can't.  My hair doesn't airdry very well and sometimes I need the long, straight, shiny look that I get from a blow-straight.   But I only dry it maybe once or twice every two weeks.  There aren't many occasions where I need my hair down anyway.

But here's a question, SpecialKitty.  My hair generally takes on a greasy look/feel after about 1.75 days and I have to wash it.  So I'll wash in the morning one day, and the night the next.  You said you had some resistance from your hair with less shampooing... do you suppose if I tough it out and where a hat for a while when it gets greasy that eventually that would stop?  Just wondering, because I know I wash alot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2006 at 12:20pm

Hi Holly, Congratulations on your healthy hair and that leave-in conditioner sounds great! As for the washing thing, I did try to tough it out the first month just to see if it would get better. I was on vacation much of the month and just wore my hair in braids when it was greasy. Each night I would comb it out and braid it again. The first week I guess I washed 3-4 times. The second week probably every third day, and the third week, I made myself go five days between washes. Now I go five-6 days between washes. It was definitely hard to do the first four weeks as I really wanted to wash it I am 2a,m,ii so maybe similar to your hair? Hope this helps - let me know what happens.

Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2006 at 7:02pm

Glad to hear your growing spekialkitty.Sounds like you've made alot of progress.I have finally made enough progress since I got a pixie in september to share.I'm measuring at 16 inches.And when I cut my hair it was between 2 and 4 inches all over.

Cap0225.jpg

Edited by Longhairdreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2006 at 7:26pm
Great progress, LHD!!! Your hair color is very beautiful, too and it looks very healthy. How long did it take you to reach that length from the time of your pixie cut? How long was your hair when you got it cut? Let's keep posting our progess every month or two
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 2:02am
My hair was shoulder length when i got it cut.Lets see.Its taken about 3 1/2 months to grow this much longer.Sounds like a plan.Hopefully My hair will keep growing like this.
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 3:16am
Originally posted by SpecialKitty SpecialKitty wrote:

Exercise hair care - I condition-only after exercising which works for the sweat issue.

What is the "sweat issue"? Do you just mean cause your hair gets sweaty and icky and you don't like it or is sweat really really bad for the hair? I have a feeling it might be ... Mine gets all sweaty every day after exercise and I don't do anything about it ... . Should I be? I'd really rather not ...

Edited by Alayney

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 11:46am
    I asked about this in an earlier thread. I think sweat probably isn't bad for your hair. I just don't want to shampoo every day (and I exercise every day). So I decided to do just conditioning with warm water to wash away the sweat mostly for aesthetic and comfort reasons. Hope that helps!
    Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 2:53pm
    Well , I measured a couple days ago at 20" (awsome growth since Dec.1st
    19"!) but now is the phase where my hair seems to "take a rest" from
    growing. It always grows fast from my chin to my shoulders, from
    shoulder length on seems to take a little more time. Or perhaps it is just
    an illusion because while it's growing from my chin to my shoulders I
    have more features to compare length to. From shoulder to bsl, there are
    few ways to say your hair has reached a certain point (collarbone...nipples
    maybe? hahaha) This is the first time I am growing out my hair while
    keeping measurements. So it will be pretty interesting to see if my theory
    is true!
    Don't let the man get you down ~ me

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 22" Goal: Waist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 4:16pm
    Congrats, Sugaree, on your hair growth!!! I wish mine grew as fast.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic