Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CO experience thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CO experience thread
    Posted: January 19 2006 at 1:59pm
Yesterday, I washed my hair and did CO. No particular reason, just felt like it I was expecting my hair to go funny and greasy but...it hasn't! It's possibly a tad greasier then if I's shampooed it but mainly it just feels like silk and really shiny! (See sig pic for proof-taken after CO)

Does that mean my hair likes CO and wants to run and hide away from the big scary shampoo bottle or something! I know it's early days yet but it seems to agree with my hair! Well I suppose I barely used shampoo anyway-I'd use heavily diluted baby shampoo.

Intrigued...

Edited by LadyFrog

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 2:17pm
Lovely new sig pic! I might give it a go tommorow.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 4:28pm
Sounds like you're a CO gal. Lovely signature pic
my LJ, 40 inches long
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 4:33pm
Thank you HFO and Anais 

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 7:49pm
I'm interested in keeping up with your experiment, LadyFrog.  How often have you been washing your hair with shampoo?  And ultimately, how often will you end up washing with CO?  I think this could help me too, but I'm not quite ready to gopher it.
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 7:59pm

Hi Ladyfrog. I've been posting elsewhere about my CO experiments. I've just done my third attempt, but am giving up (again) probably for good.  My hair just does not like CO AT ALL

Your hair, however, looks (and feels?) good....so I'd say that's very encouraging.  Even after the first try, that sounds good. My hair just went from bad to utter crap very quickly.

I'm sticking with CWC mixed in with some of the baking soda/ACV washes.    If it aint broke, don't fix it

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 10:23am
Dave- I've been washing roughly once a week with the heavily diluted shampoo. I'm not sure how often I'll wash with CO but I'm hoping that I'll be able to do it once or twice a week

Go for it!

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 12:40pm
Your hair does look great, LadyFrog.  I read one time in Anais' hair journal that shampooed hair looks nicer, but she loves the feel of CO hair.  Jennifer and I tend to agree.  Shampooed hair looks great, but feels dry.  COed hair is just heavenly to touch and play with.  It's for that reason that we have stuck with CO.  Once in a while, we get the shampoo bottle out and just wash the top of Jennifer's hair.  I hold the ends out of the suds bath until most of it is rinsed away.  We still notice a difference in the way her hair feels after a day or two.  It just feels drier and more brittle to the touch.

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 1:14pm

Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

I'm interested in keeping up with your experiment, LadyFrog.  How often have you been washing your hair with shampoo?  And ultimately, how often will you end up washing with CO?  I think this could help me too, but I'm not quite ready to gopher it.

Hi Dave, I was a weekly washer too when I switched first to COW-CC, then to CO. I hope you decide to give CO a try

my LJ, 40 inches long
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 8:06pm

It's funny how different hair likes different things.  My hair never feels dry or brittle with CWC....it looks and feels silky soft and shiny. My scalp just hates CO on it, so CWC is the perfect solution for me.

Good luck to all the COers out there

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 12:15am
Ladyfrog, I just wanted to say that I noticed how SHINY your hair was (well is!) in  your new sig pic the other day (or was that yesterday? ... well, whenever you posted it). That's what REALLY stood out -- the SHINE! Pretty color too! 
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 3:49am
Thank you Alayney I posted the new sig pic on wednesday evening. 

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 1:06pm

Originally posted by LadyFrog LadyFrog wrote:

Yesterday, I washed my hair and did CO. No particular reason, just felt like it I was expecting my hair to go funny and greasy but...it hasn't! It's possibly a tad greasier then if I's shampooed it but mainly it just feels like silk and really shiny! (See sig pic for proof-taken after CO)

Does that mean my hair likes CO and wants to run and hide away from the big scary shampoo bottle or something! I know it's early days yet but it seems to agree with my hair! Well I suppose I barely used shampoo anyway-I'd use heavily diluted baby shampoo.

Intrigued...

Hi LadyFrog.  I have been doing CO and heavy dilution for years.  In fact, about 3 years ago I was at a seminar with the woman who wrote the Curly Girl book (Lorraine) and she came up to me at the break and said...you must do conditioning only washing...right?  I asked how she knew and she said...the shine, the softness and how nice my natural waves formed in the back.

I have found that over time I can only do diluted shampoo about once or twice a month.  I tend to CO every 5 days and then maybe on every 2nd or 3rd rotation I do DSO.  Today I did a super heavy dilution with Phytojoba but it was the first time in 3 weeks that I used DSO. My last DSO was with Aveda Shampure and I cut back to 1/2 teaspoon to 1 quart.  Which seemed to be good. 

Most of the time my CO consists of Phytosesame or ARTec Smoothing.  Lately I have been playing with RF Karite and just slathering it on. 

Thanks so much for sharing your experiments.  When I advise people to do either DSO or CO washing, they are very skeptical.  It has been working for me for years and I know it is very good for super long hair.

Edited by Karen Shelton
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 1:09pm

Hi Anais,

Can we list all the acronyms for anyone not familiar?

CO = Conditioning Only
DSO = Diluted Shampoo Only

Please add your acronmys.

Thanks.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 2:14pm
Karen- if I'm doing CO, then would I still need to occasionally shampoo to 'clean' the hair?

WO-water only

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 2:59pm

Originally posted by LadyFrog LadyFrog wrote:

Karen- if I'm doing CO, then would I still need to occasionally shampoo to 'clean' the hair?

WO-water only

Hi LF,

It depends on your hair and how you feel. The first year I "freaked" that I was not shampooing full strenght every day.  Eventually my hair "adjusted" and I found that if I did use full strength shampoo my hair felt like total hell.  Now I NEVER use full strength shampoo but it took me some years to get to this point.

For your hair...experiment.  Try different things.  I also..in the early years...diluted the conditioners I used so that my hair did not get greasy.  Sometimes I would use diluted shampoo on the bangs but no where else and then use only water (OW) :-) or CO on the middle to the bottoms.

Also, seasons require different treatments. 

So just take your time and experiment with different options and get to know the rhythm and moods of your strands.  Your hair will LOVE you for it.  :-)

And keep letting us know what you discover.  Since it helps everyone figure out their own path.  Right AS?  :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 9:10pm

Hi Folks

We have a lot of acronyms and abbreviations!

CO= Conditioner Only
CWC= Condition, Wash, Condition
COW-C = ConditionerOnly + Wash + Conditioner (which is actually diluted shampoo with conditioner mixed in it, looks like a milkshake)
WO= water only (I tend to call it WO for Water Only because OW tends to be associated with COW)

Other abbreviations I've personally used, a few of which I better explain ..*sheepish.
BSL= Bra strap length
MBL= Mid back length
TB= Tailbone
ACV= apple cider vinegar
BBB= boar bristle brush
SM&H / Suave M&H= Suave Milk&Honey
SCS / Suave CS = Suave Citrus Smoothie
KLG= Kirkland Lemon Gingerroot
SUE= socked-up end, referring to occasions where the end of a braid is sock-curled

Karen, maybe we can start an FAQ thread of some kind...

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

Hi Folks

We have a lot of acronyms and abbreviations!

CO= Conditioner Only
CWC= Condition, Wash, Condition
COW-C = ConditionerOnly + Wash + Conditioner (which is actually diluted shampoo with conditioner mixed in it, looks like a milkshake)
WO= water only (I tend to call it WO for Water Only because OW tends to be associated with COW)

Other abbreviations I've personally used, a few of which I better explain ..*sheepish.
BSL= Bra strap length
MBL= Mid back length
TB= Tailbone
ACV= apple cider vinegar
BBB= boar bristle brush
SM&H / Suave M&H= Suave Milk&Honey
SCS / Suave CS = Suave Citrus Smoothie
KLG= Kirkland Lemon Gingerroot
SUE= socked-up end, referring to occasions where the end of a braid is sock-curled

Karen, maybe we can start an FAQ thread of some kind...

Hi AS...yes, yes, yes.....would you like to start one that we can make a stickie?  Or even better, I can put it at the top in announcements for people to check out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks soooooooooooo much.

Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 11:15pm

Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

The first year I "freaked" that I was not shampooing full strenght every day.  Eventually my hair "adjusted" and I found that if I did use full strength shampoo my hair felt like total hell.  Now I NEVER use full strength shampoo but it took me some years to get to this point.

That is interesting. I used to wash and blow dry my hair EVERY single day no matter what and now I do it at the most every other day. I always felt either I was not clean if I didn't bathe every day, or that I didn't look my best, but it's simply not true. Now I almost like my hair better the second day -- not always but there are times. I can actually go out in public and do things with "dirty" hair. Ha, ha. It's just so funny because I used to be so uptight!  And I seem to get the most compliments on dirty hair days too.

Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 11:16pm
Oh, and I almost forgot -- I'm SO glad you added the acronyms. I was just about to ask what they were or if you all could direct me to the place on the boards that they were previously defined. You read my mind!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic