Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frustrated With My Hair & Growing Process

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frustrated With My Hair & Growing Process
    Posted: February 14 2006 at 4:53pm

Hey Everyone! I am hoping for some inspiration, support and maybe advice. This week I am feeling very self-conscious about my hair. I notice other people's thick long hair and wish mine were thick and long too. I feel my hair is very fine and not all that pretty. Growing it is taking so long and my hair is at an awkward stage right now where it is neither long nor short, and really seems lifeless. I have done an ACV rinse and taken extra good care of it, but I'm feeling the urge to cut it. I've had almost two inches of new growth since Thanksgiving and I don't want to sacrifice length, but the ends are feeling kind of ragged. How do all of you get through this growing process? Maybe I should just wear my hair up more, but everyone says that they like my hair better when I wear it down (people don't lack an opinion about your hair, do they?) Anyway, I'm just extremely frustrated with my hair and want to find a way to be happy with what I have. Thanks in advance for your help!

philosophy girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 5:32pm

Hey SpecialKitty

I started putting my hair up for a while and suddenly realised one day it had grown about 6 inches .  As for ragged ends I was convinced I'd have to cut off about 3" but with oiling and deep conditioning they are back to being soft and lovely somehow!

Don't let it get you down, your hair is part of you and will never be exactly the same as anyone else's and this is part of what makes it so beautiful.

dude20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dude20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 6:31pm
Hey phil. girl, did your hair grow faster than usual when you
"put it up". What do you mean, in a ponytail or some girl hairstyle? Did you neglect to comb it every morning for a while, and how often did you shampoo?
MsSerenity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsSerenity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:28pm
I have spent the last 6 years growing my hair out. Whenever I get discouraged, and ponder just going with a bob, I braid my hair, put it up and only take it down to comb out and rebraid. After the cutting urge has left, I find that my hair has grown, my braiding skills have improved and I have new ideas for my hair.
As fate would have it, my business is all about you.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:46pm

SpecialKitty, I remember seeing pictures and your hair is very beautiful indeed. One of the things that helps me is meditational combing (for lack of a better term). If you have a favorite comb, go through your hair section by section in a slow 30-60-minute-long detangling session with scalp massage. Throughout the past 2-3 years, this kind of meditational combing has helped me focus on my hair's texture and normally-unnoticeable details, and helped me love my hair more.

Hope you feel better.

(((SpecialKitty)))

Anais 

my LJ, 40 inches long
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 4:25am

SK a  for you.  I know EXACTLY how you feel.  I've pretty much decided not to look at my hair for a few months.  I know, I know, that is probably not the best solution as I should be "enjoying the journey" and appreciating my hair in the here and now....but quite frankly it's at a BAD BAD stage   I figure the less I look at it, the better.  One day (in a few months) when I take it down from an upstyle I will marvel at how much it's grown and how lovely it looks! hehe  But until then, it's upstyles for me.  Don't get me wrong, I am still taking GREAT care of it and it's really in the best shape of it's life, but I just don't want to see it right now.

If the ends are the main thing that bothers you, then give them a little trim. It may make the world of difference and you won't be sacrificing much length.

And whatever you do.....don't covet other peoples hair!!! It's really just torturing yourself. There is no way that you can actually have their hair, so just admire and say "oooh...pretty!" and move on.  Wanting someone elses hair is just going to make you feel worse about yours    So buy yourself a pretty hair toy and concentrate on looking after yourself and while you are doing all this......your hair will be growing. All by itself.

Chin up girl

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 8:11am
SK- your hair is beautiful and I'm sure lots of people are envying your hair just as much as you are envying theirs! Just remember no one loves their hair all the time, no matter how thick or long it is.

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 4:59pm

Oh, THANK YOU ALL. Such great advice and support from you. I truly appreciate it. All of what you say has helped a great deal. I am still having difficulties with loving my hair at the moment, but hearing your experiences and guidance definitely helps me through the tough spots. I can't thank you enough.

letmecount123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 1:47am
I'm so bad for looking at other people's hair. Sometimes I just feel really jealous. I'm always thinking, "Is my hair that long?"

I'm sure more often than not, it is at least that long, but seeing it on other people makes me want it that much MORE. I don't know. Maybe I'm strange?
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 6:09am
No you're not letmecount123. I feel like that constantly. I'll be walking along and someone with gorgeous waist length hair walks by and I'm just why isn't mine like that! Then I remember mine is waist/a few inches to hip length. Doh!

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
philosophy girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 8:44am

Hey Dude20,

Nope nothing special happened, just that I wasn't always looking at the length   Watched kettle boiling and all that!

I was doing the same thing then I do now; oil (left on for an hour or overnight) then wash (about twice a week) then comb through, apply a little oil (again) then plait or bun it.  I can't leave it in a pony tail as it is naturally curly and I live somewhere very wet and windy so it would get in an awful state!

I've never measured growth as I'm too lazy and can never find anything to emasure it with.

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 8:50am
Yeah, hair is so light, its easy to forget how long it is.  Someone commented on that the time I had to cut mine to a bob when it was green, and how different it must feel because it was bsl before...it really didn't feel any different at all weightwise. 

SK, I'm with Rini on this one.  If you really don't like how your ends look, do a microtrim (like the other post says).  You only take off 1/8 of an inch so you only lose like one weeks worth of growth, which isn't so bad. And it might be all you need to make a big difference in making you feel better about your ends.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 11:00am
I'll give it a try, but it is somewhat scary! Thanks again everyone!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 11:40am
Okay, I bit the bullet and did a microtrim. I was a little scared because the other times I have trimmed my hair in the past I took off too much and my hair looked short again. I was very very VERY conservative in how much I took off - just going for that 1/8 inch (3mm) that Susan recommended. I have to say my hair looks exactly the same length and the ends seem much straighter and more blunt/healthy looking. Today is actually a good hair day - lots of depth and shine, and fullness. I am on the road to recovery (but still admiring other people's hair). Thank you all!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 3:06pm
Yay! 

I'm really happy for you, SK!  Such wise words offered by The Philosophy Girl, Ms Serenity, Anais Satin, MissRini, LadyFrog, Holly, and Susan W - thank you all!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 3:09pm
Thank You Dave! I am happy too, all the advice was so good. And your hair continues to inspire me as well!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic