Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Love me, love my hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Love me, love my hair
    Posted: February 12 2006 at 8:32pm
As printed in my local newspaper:

Love me, love my hair

For mothers and daughters, comments on hair are about much more than hair.  They're a tangle of values, acceptance and intimacy.

by Deborah Tannen
Los Angeles Times

Here's the web link:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-oe-tanne n24jan24,1,7020729.story?coll=la-home-headlines&track=mo stemailedlink

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 1:02am

Thanks Dave - That was a really interesting and relevant article. At the beginning of my long hair journey, my mother was the most vocal opposition. Now she's gotten quite protective of my hair when other relatives (e.g. her mother) would suggest that I cut it. Now when I spend time with her, she'll run her fingers through my hair, or pat it affectionately. aww I love my mom.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
MsSerenity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsSerenity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 3:03am
 That is truly a touching story. My mother has been growing her hair out for years, and her mother prefers short hair. But to each their own.

Thank you for sharing, Dave. :)
As fate would have it, my business is all about you.
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 3:59am

Aaww that's a lovely article. My mum rarely lets her hair get over 10 inches although says if it was as straight as mine she'd have it longer. She's a bit like Anais' mom in that she defends my hair against relatives!

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 4:33am
Nice article Dave :) I don't have any daughters, but my sons are just babies now, but already they don't like me to muck with their hair (I do all the cutting myself). What will they be like when they are men???

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
MsSerenity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsSerenity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 4:46am
My son (William, who is 6) hates when I cut his hair. Do you know of any tricks, besides bribing him, to help with that?
As fate would have it, my business is all about you.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 7:13am
Get some of those clippers that you just buzz over the head.  They come with little combs so he can wind up with hair a little longer (not quite as short as a crew cut, but still very short).  It will be quick and all come out even.

My mom always seemed to hate everything about my hair.  When she was young, the style was very short and curly, and she kept that style her whole life, and even though when I was young and the style was long and straight, she still wanted me to cut it off.  Oh well.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 11:34am
My mom at one time had chopped all of her hair off.....when she was younger she was always getting it cut. Now it's below her knees and it's a really dark red and very pretty...she's very supportive of our long hair (mine and my sisters). That was truly a touching article, Dave...thanx for sharing!
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 1:37pm
My mother supports me having long hair....or short hair, as long as it's
not blue, green, or purple as I used to dye it punky colors in highschool,
much to her dismay. Though I must admit, I think she was really easy-
going about it. She let me have my independence when it came to my
appearance, as long as it was appropriate. She herself, having grown up
in the hippy era, had hair to her butt (at the time, not anymore)
Don't let the man get you down ~ me

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 22" Goal: Waist
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 5:02pm
This comes at a really good time for me, Dave, because just recently my mom criticized my hair. She said "why does your hair look so thin? You used to have such thick hair." I was very hurt until I realized she was saying this out of concern and not to hurt me. I did used to have thicker hair in high school, but it changed after college. I think hormones may have had something to do with this. I can't help but look back to the days of my thicker hair and wish it looked that way now. I think my mom's comment was really a way to indicate her concern and love for me, but sometimes our mothers do this in a way that seems insensitive or judgemental. I am glad to read that others have had this experience as well.....Thanks for the article, Dave!
Katharine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katharine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 9:47am

I enjoyed the article.  I adopted a baby from Guatemala and at one year old she already has a gorgeous head of shiny black hair.  People comment on it all the time.  I love taking care of her beautiful hair, especially now that I have learned about hair care on line and through my own growing out process.  I plan letting Baby's hair grow long and I look forward to caring for it for years.  The article and thinking back to my own relationship with my mother and my hair made me realize it will be important to let my daughter make her own choices when the time comes and for me to be supportive not critical.
When I was a girl, I always wanted long hair, but my Mom always had it cut in a pixie which I hated passionately.  She was the most loving mother ever, she wasn't being mean.  She had seven children and felt this was the easiest thing to do.  Also she loved short hair on my sisters and I. But I remember being totally miserable over it for ages and feeling so ugly and boyish.  I plan to be more supportive with my daughter. (I guess-- even if she loves short hair wants to wear a pixie all the time- which will probably be my luck)!  She'll be totally beautiful no matter what she chooses.

Katie

Edited by Katharine
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 10:22pm

I see my mother about every three years. I used to buzz it right after a visit, so I'd have it all grown back out past my shoulders by the time she saw me again. She'd have a heart attack if she ever saw me with my hair that short. Since I'm thinking of keeping it long this time, she'll definitely be happy about it.

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
Lisa9232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa9232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 11:36am

Thanx Dave,

Cool article! My mom is very supportive with long hair!!! That was touching!!!!

~~~~Lisa9232~~~~

Without God all things are impossible!But with God all things are possible! ~~~Lisa9232~~~
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 1:38am

Originally posted by Katharine Katharine wrote:

I enjoyed the article.  I adopted a baby from Guatemala and at one year old she already has a gorgeous head of shiny black hair.  People comment on it all the time.  I love taking care of her beautiful hair, especially now that I have learned about hair care on line and through my own growing out process.  I plan letting Baby's hair grow long and I look forward to caring for it for years. 

Katharine, that's beautiful.  Best wishes to you both.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Katharine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katharine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 11:07am

Thank you Anais.  She really is a beauty and I'm crazy about her inside and out.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic