Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So...What is damage, exactly?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sasumi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sasumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So...What is damage, exactly?
    Posted: February 23 2006 at 9:22pm
I mean, what needs to be cut off?

I know split ends do, but do strands with bent-ends need to be cut off, as well? Bent-ends, as in, the end will sort of stick out horizontally from the rest of the strand, and it forms an angle...

And stretched out, wiry hairs... The ends seem to be in harmony with the rest of the strand, but the entire strand is basically just ... verynotsmooth. It', eh... all weird and basically wiry... (you've just witnessed my awesome description skills)

Ehh, for lack of better writing skillzzz, I'll add a picture:

The one on the left is normal, and the one on the right is un-normal. (wiry! )

Back on topic (I had too much fun with that), what do you do with those strands? Do I just... cut them off, or pluck them out completely?
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 9:43pm
I've heard that plucking hair over time can cause bald patches, plus it kinda hurts. I haven't had the time or confidence to snip my split ends yet - I'll be interested in the answers to your questions. The weird and wiry hairs  may not be damaged  but just different types of hair. Anyway, sorry I can't be more helpful. Always good to see you on the board, though, Sasumi! Such pretty hair!
dancingbarefoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancingbarefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2006 at 11:47pm
Nothing NEEDS to be cut off. Some people never trim split ends at all. It's all
up to you what sort of cutting you'd like to do (and how much). I never trim
split ends, personally. Once in a great while, I might so a "search and
destroy" trim - cutting off just the very end, less than 1/8 inch, but most of
the time I don't bother with it.
philosophy girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 8:02am

Just to say I agree with Kitty.

My hair is a mixture of fine and sleek and thick and wiry!  So it's probably just the natural texture rather than damge,  I noticed it more the longer my hair became.

enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 9:57am

If a hair has a bent end I'd say try wetting it to see if it's just dried a bit funnt.  If it's still bent, or was at a 90 degree angle to start with, I'd say it was a damaged hair.  Not split as such, but definately quite broken.

Wiry hairs I tend to leave when I can.  That's to say if I see one sticking up two inches when I'm about to go out, I'll pull it out which is naughty *slaps hand*, but I think it's just the texture.  If you leave it eventually it will blend in I think.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong

http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 10:51am
I am related to a cosmetologist, and she told me to pull out those wiry ones, that something was missing from that strand and pulling them out would give it a chance to grow back in right.  I don't agree however.  I've pulled my wiry ones out and they just grow back the same way, and it also led to a compulsive tendency to pull out anything that felt strange.  So, in the end it was better if I had just left them all alone and let them grow wiry.  I didn't get bald patches or anything from pulling them out too much, but it did lead to a thicker than normal halo of shorter hairs all around my head that made my hair look bad and screwed up for a very long time (until they grew longer and laid down enough for their shortness to be less noticeable). 

As for the bends, I cut those off, especially if it has a white dot at the bend.  It is a broken place in the hair.  I get those more frequently than I do split ends, they are caused when my hair tangles near the ends.

Edited to say: Wetting the bends first is a good idea, maybe they would indeed lay down right, especially if there is no white dot indicating a broken place.  I never took the time to check that, I'm usually sitting nearer to a pair of scissors than a sink.

Edited by Susan W
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 11:00am

Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

As for the bends, I cut those off, especially if it has a white dot at the bend.  It is a broken place in the hair.  I get those more frequently than I do split ends, they are caused when my hair tangles near the ends.

Edited to say: Wetting the bends first is a good idea, maybe they would indeed lay down right, especially if there is no white dot indicating a broken place.  I never took the time to check that, I'm usually sitting nearer to a pair of scissors than a sink.

Sink...hmm.  As extremely nasty as it is, if I get get to the bathroom I do just use a little saliva on my fingers.  It does the job

Good point about the white dot, I forgot that.  Yes, a white dot does mean it is really damaged, not just pretending to be.

http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 3:24pm

I get those wiry hairs a LOT. It's partly due to wet-combing too hard sometimes, causing hairs to stretch and then "snap back" to its original length. I would check and see if they are wavy all the way to the root. Oftentimes they will only be half-wiry, and then you can cut them half-off.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Sasumi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sasumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 3:57pm
Okay!

I keep on thinking that strands that are mis-aligned-ish are damaged and need to be cut off. All week I've been paranoid about my hair, thinking it's all damaged. I even gave myself a trim I didn't really need to make myself feel a little bit better.

Actually, I think my hair got sort of damaged after bubba-tailing it too much. I also used these thin hair-bands, and I would tie them really tightly so my hair so it would lay flatter after immobilizing it. It did lay flatter, and was softer, but after about a month of doing it, it didn't become as soft as it used to, and I've noticed more split-ends.

Edited: Right, bubba-tailing made my hair look and feel better, but then it got damaged... Are there safer/other ways to immobolize your hair? And not sock-curling it... My hair's too short to do that.

Edited by Sasumi
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 8:47pm

How about using scrunchies instead of elastics? I think it's your accessories, not your method that is doing the damage. 

Hugs
Anais 

my LJ, 40 inches long
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 6:35am
I get lot of those hairs and even got them while my hair was short. Some may be bubble hairs depending on how you style your hair. I know that when I was straightening, I seemed to have alot more, alot of which were simply bubble hairs. I damage the natural ones into straightness(shocking) by running my finger nails sharply down it and doing this repeatedly after only more slowly to make it straight instead of coiled as it is after the first go.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 7:15am
Seems like there are lots of different kinds of wiry hairs!  The ones I was referring to are the ones that grow that way, wiry, black and coarse (twice as thick as the rest of your normal hairs) and look just like the picture you showed.  If they don't do that from the root, it may indeed be damage.  I guess it depends how many you have.  If you have too many the best thing is probably to leave them alone because cutting them only may make them more noticeable.  If you only have a few, then trimming them above the damage would not be so bad. 

Do you have a satin pillowcase?  That may help your hair survive sleep better when confined in a tail.  I agree with Anais though, the thin bands were probably the worst thing. 
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic