Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Growing Out Wavy Hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
henchperson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 10:45pm
At a second glance, though, that cut is all layers.  Do I want layers?  What they keep harping about on the long hair sites is how layers are bad, but I think I might need layers - I've got really thick, wavy hair. This style might be better:

Yep, Meg Ryan again, but she and I have very similar hair, it seems.  What I'd like to do is have that medium-length layered cut to grow out to a longer layered cut. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 10:43pm
Was so tired this morning that I was in the middle of washing my hair before I realized I was doing it.  Oh well. 
I did rinse with the Apple Cider Vinegar solution.  Pheew, what a smell!  I used about two tablespoons of vinegar mixed with two cups of distilled water, shook it up in a squeeze bottle, and rinsed with that after I'd gotten all the conditioner out of my hair.  I was very careful to rinse with plain water for a long time after the ACV rinse, because of the smell. 
After the shower, I sprayed in some of the leave-in conditioner/detangler and combed it out, then sectioned the top into three pieces and pinned them back with hairpins.  I've discovered that this makes those sections dry straight.  Now if I can just figure out how to get the sides and back to not flip out and look nutty, I'll be set.
I think that the key may be just letting the sides and back grow.  The longer it is, the wavier it is, but it's more manageable, too.

So tomorrow, shower but no shampoo.  I'm looking up recipes for baking soda shampoo, but they seem mostly aimed at oily hair.  And the conditioner-only rinses seems more for really long hair than for hair that only reaches my earlobes. 

I wouldn't mind this style, but my hair isn't curly enough for it:

Well, my hair might be curly enough.  I'm going to print the picture out and see what the stylist says.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 1:03am
As I've been reading up on the care and feeding of long hair - which is what I'd like, eventually - I've learned a lot.  One of the things that I learned is that I shouldn't shampoo every day.  Now, this is something that's a new idea for me.  Taking a shower but not shampooing my hair?  There are lots of different ways  of doing this, from giving up shampoo completely to only doing it once or twice a week, but I don't know if I can do that.  I know that tomorrow morning, I'll skip the hair-washing and see how my hair looks.  The only person who will see me is my doctor, and I know he doesn't care how I look. 
I've also learned how to make an apple cider vinegar rinse and put one together tonight in a squeeze-bottle for the next time I wash my hair.  Eeeew, does that smell bad!  Still, everyone keeps raving about the results.
I'm at a stage in growing it out where anyone that looks at me can clearly see that I'm at an awkward stage of growing out my hair.  The prenatal vitamins that I'm taking (trying to get pregnant, hasn't worked out so far) seem to help with hair growth, but it seems to be going horribly slowly because I think it looks so awful like this.
I see my stylist about every five or six weeks to snip the ends and attempt to give a little shape to the mop.  I'm keeping my bangs..er, fringe, for those of you in the UK, because I'm so self-conscious of my high forehead. 
In reference to the first post, every picture I've ever brought in to my stylist has been of someone with straight hair.  So she's under the impression that I'm happy to torture my hair with heat implements as long as I get the look I want.  Not to mention that she says that the flatiron doesn't damage my hair, but I can't manage to grow my hair out, because the damaged ends have to be cut off every time I go in.  What's damaging them?  Oh, the flatiron.  Time for a new stlisht,  I think. 
My next step is to find some pictures of wavy-haired girls with cuts that I like, which is harder than you'd think.  All the pictures I find are of Meg Ryan, who's cute, but her hair and mine seem different.  You never know, though.   As she's gotten older, she's abandoned the "cutesy" short hair for medium length hair that actually looks good onher
We'll see how the lack of shampoo goes tormorrow.

Edited by henchperson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 12:56am
This is what I'm currently doing:
An Internet-friend with hip-length incredibly healthy red hair recommended that I try Aubrey Organics products, so I went ahead and got their shampoo and conditioner.
And after using those a few times, I went back to the store to buy their no-alcohol gel and hairspray and anything else I could find.  It's great stuff, and very gentle on my hair.
Since most of the time I work from home, I've tossed the hairdryer and straightening iron in a drawer.  After I wash and condition it, I put in a little of the Aubrey leave-in conditioner/detangler and part it, then let it air dry.  This may mean - depending on the day and the humidity level - that my hair stands up in twenty different directions.  I've learned how to pin it back with hairpins, wet or dry, and to use barettes to tame it when it's dry.  I am determined not to heat-damage my hair any more than I already have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henchperson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 12:52am
I've spent nearly twenty years trying to have straight hair.  Every style I like, every haircut I admire, all for straight hair.
And mine is not.
But it's not curly, either.  It's just wavy and unruly and I've recently realized that I've been torturing it for a long time.  First, by bleaching it for too many years, until I decided at age 30 that platinum blonde was better left to the youngsters.  Then I tried red, which didn't suit me, and then grew out my  natural color.  Which, to my surprise, is a rather nice light brown with reddish highlights. 
I've been learning about being nicer to my hair, ever since I decided I wanted to grow it out again.  I started with boot-camp-short hair, the way it's been for a few years, then tried to get a style I'd seen and liked on an actress.  Naturally, that required time and effort with a hairdryer and straightening iron, and my hair let me know it was unhappy.  The ends started to split, it got dry and brittle, and it didn't matter how much conditioner I put in it, my hair was cranky
Then I started doing research on taking care of hair, trying to keep it in good shape for growing out, and I learned that what I've been doing to my poor hair is absolute torture.  No wonder my hair was annoyed!

To be continued....

Edited by henchperson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic