Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removing Keratin AND installing protac

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nakasaki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nakasaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing Keratin AND installing protac
    Posted: May 27 2006 at 5:53pm
Well thanks to HB and BHM I've learned quite a bit about hair extensions...I have been wearing them for years but i've never installed them myself. Anyhow, this is my first topic on HB... Anyhow, I have keratin in my hair now and I would like to remove the on my own... I purchased a citrus remover from Sherrieat hairextensions101.com (she's great by the way). What do you DIY keratin wearers use to remove. Also, I've read a bit about the protac install but I'm not sure if the tape is supposed to go on the hair or on the scalp? Please let me know... thanks...
Koffee Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 6:39pm
i  never used citrus to remove keratin. I always use 100% acetone
K-B
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 7:12pm
 yep...what kb said! Use acetone and a pair of pliers to remove keratin.

A drop or two of acetone on the bond, and then crunch a couple of times with the pliers and the bond should crumble. Sometimes you have to repeat a couple of times.

Apply the pro-tac at the root of the hair (near the scalp)

Good luck girl...and post some pics of your new install!Big smile
longhairaddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhairaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:28pm
When you remove it, be real real careful because you could pull out or break off your natural hair, which of course you need to hold the protac (isn't that what natural hair is good for, to hold the extensions? lol  I'm beginning to wish I could just glue the hair to my scalp).

I did my own keratin fusion removal a few weeks ago, and it wasnt too hard at all.  I put the acetone in a hair color bottle from sallys which helped with the smell and helped with application.  If you do just like sherrie said with the pliars and then gently comb the extension hair out you should be fine.

Good luck!  The protac is very easy, it is hard to understand until you see it (I couldn't figure it out when I read about it or seen online tutorials, but when it is in front of you it all comes together lol).
Wearing 22" 8oz Tease I tips installed with silicone microrings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic