Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long, but fine hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long, but fine hair
    Posted: July 06 2006 at 1:02pm
Does anyone here with long hair also have fine hair?  My hair is thick in that there are many individual hairs on my head but each hair is fine.  The problem I've had in the past is when it gets longer, it tends to look thinner.   I can make the hair look great in the morning, but by night, it tends to look a little limp.  I've tried using mouses, gels, and thickening products as well as no extra products.  I try to leave the conditioner on the very ends of the hair only (my scalp tends to get a bit oily if I go more than a day or two without washing). 

I'd like to know how anyone with fine hair manages it when it's longer.
Amazing Grace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 2:39pm
I also have fine hair that has now reached BSL. Since it's summer, I've been wearing a lot of tiny buns and skinny braids.

Mainly, I've just come to accept the fact that I will never have lots of hair rippling down my back and blowing in the breeze.

Grace
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 5:03pm
Wow, is that your hair in the photo?  It looks like your hair's got great body! 
Amazing Grace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 6:39am
That picture is a year old and shows the remains of a perm I have been growing out. Perming my hair made it look fuller, but wasn't particularly healthy.

Now the hair is about six inches longer and looks vaguely wavy (still the old perm). I'll have to see if DH will take a picture so I can have an updated photo here.
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 11:13am
I have fine hair (yet a fair amount of it). Yes, fine hair can be long and still look great!

SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 12:05pm
Hi anne6000! Despite my waves, I have pretty fragile, fine thin hair. It does get limp and stringy after a day or two. For me, a few things have made a difference in keeping my hair full of body:

1. I put a chlorine filter on my showerhead. Chlorine strips out protein from your hair, is a toxic chemical, and is bad for your health as well
2. I finger comb, pulling sebum down the length of my hair. I try to wash as infrequently as possible (right now just WO, but CO would also be good - try to lessen any dependence on shampoos and conditioners with chemicals like SLS or cones)
3. No products except very light oils (essential oils mixed with water and misted, or coconut oil occasionally)
4. braids, buns, updos when hair is not at its fullest and best
5. Oh, and when I'm not doing WO, I use cassia obovata (neutral henna)every four weeks or so. This is great for strength, body, and shine, but I've heard it doesn't work great with WO

Many people who have fine straight hair and have gone to WO or CO report that their hair is less stringy and limp and more wavy or full of body.
rhpetunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhpetunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 7:57pm
I agree with Special Kitty -- with good care it will look it's best.  Mine is fine but not thin, and people have actually commented on how thick it is.  Plus, look at Special Kitty's signature picture -- if you didn't tell me different I would have thought it was thick hair.
2b/F/ii
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by rhpetunia rhpetunia wrote:

I agree with Special Kitty -- with good care it will look it's best.  Mine is fine but not thin, and people have actually commented on how thick it is.  Plus, look at Special Kitty's signature picture -- if you didn't tell me different I would have thought it was thick hair.

Thanks, rhpetunia! I'm glad it looks thicker than it is. I hope mine is as long as yours, someday. Yours looks very healthy.
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 10:16pm
I have long fine hair too, but I don't particularly worry about that stringiness that happens as it gets longer. I just don't look at the back of my hair (only to make sure it's not matted, of course! haha); I "pretend" it's full and thick. Out of sight/out of mind.  A hot and humid day is usally my best friend though -- that's when it gets fluffy and thick and doesn't look as stringy. 
vivek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 6:24am

I too have a long hair - 32 inches and it is fine and thin, eventhough my wife feels that my hair is slightly thicker. I normally use hair softener and shampoos twice a week. That keeps it fine and healthy. I feel that u need not worry about the hair being thin as long as there is no hairfall.

Forums suggestions on plaits and bun styles for men - invited please

anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 11:14pm

Thanks for all the great replies and encouragement!

SpecialKitty, I'm really, really trying to do the WO washing, and I can't explain this, but somehow I have a mental block against it.  I know, it's my problem, but I'm trying to use as little shampoo as possible and keep the conditioner concentrated more on the ends.

Although the rest of my body doesn't care for humid days, my hair, too, loves them!

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2006 at 3:28pm
My hair is fine, and fairly thick.  Gathered in a pony at the nape of my neck, I would guess that its circumference is about 3 inches.  Hmm, I'll have to get a proper measurement one of these days...
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 3:11pm
I don't but I have a relative who when she lets her hair down you can't tell how thin it is.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic