Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

breakage (wet hair)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: breakage (wet hair)
    Posted: July 26 2006 at 8:09pm
When my hair is wet its starting to break or well pull out I just got a trim last month I dont even comb my hair Its curly usually i can just finger comb my hair and thats fine every once in a while i have to comb it wet, it breaks as im shampooing and conditioning it in the shower I use Giovanni products (herbal) what is going on ?:(

Edited by babycheeks24 - July 26 2006 at 8:14pm
Babycheeks
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 9:43pm
do your products contain silcones? if so this may be build up (silicones are baaddddd for curls). also hair is at its most fragile state wet so NEVER comb hair wet, comb it with conditioner and when ready to dry,wrap up in a towel (not too tight; leads to breakage) if your hair is dry you migtht want to put a little oil before wraping it up. I also have curls and this gives me preety curls/waves each time.
p.s. if you hear something snap stop and assess what you are doing
HTH
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by SugarCube SugarCube wrote:

do your products contain silcones? if so this may be build up (silicones are baaddddd for curls).

I've heard the opposite, that silicone really makes the cuticle lie down and makes the hair very soft!  I use a tiny bit on humid days to contain frizz, and it just works wonders.

Babycheeks -- do you detangle your hair before you step in the shower?  I think this is a critical first step.  Then, when you get to when you apply the conditioner,  your hair shouldn't really be very tangled.  And it is very fragile when wet, so I'd treat it with kid gloves.
rhpetunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhpetunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 6:04pm
I don't think Giovanni products have 'cones.  Do you use protein conditioner?  I think if you coat hair with protein without enough moisturizing it can cause brittleness.  My hair is prone to breakage (it's quite fine) and what works for me is before washing I put a heavy moisturizing conditioner (Giovanni has good ones) over dry hair.  I don't do this near the scalp, just below the ears.  I usually dilute it 1 to 1 first.  I put on a shower cap and let it sit for 1/2 hour or so, then get in the shower and do my thing, then put a little protein conditioner on at the end and rinse. 
2b/F/ii
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 6:35pm

"I've heard the opposite, that silicone really makes the cuticle lie down and makes the hair very soft!  I use a tiny bit on humid days to contain frizz, and it just works wonders."

Well Anne (do you have sraight hair) a little silicone is okay but a lot sticks to the hair strand and when it comes off it brings pieces of the hair with  it. If silicones work 4 you then by all means use it: But please clarify(we woulded want those locks to get damaged) I hope this was taken in a positive vein

Edited by SugarCube - July 27 2006 at 6:36pm
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 8:05pm
My husband has long curly hair, and silicones did a number on his hair.While they tame down the frizzies,they did start to cause breakge on his virgin hair.Once I convinced him to clarify with baking soda,and an occasional ACV rinse his hair has been tons better.

I agree some people need cones.But most people dont know to clarify every now and then.

I think to detangle before you shower is great advice.Then you shouldnt have to brush afterwards.And I guess if you really have to comb your hair remember to start at the ends and work your way up.

Your hair is really pretty by the way if that you in your avatar.I would love to have curls like that
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 8:05pm
Hi SugarCube,

I don't have straight hair.  I have wavy, but not curly hair.  My personal experience with silicone is that a lot goes a long way.  If I use too much, then my hair just looks and feels oily.

I can't argue with your experiences at all, but I just wanted to say that, for some people, just a little silicone can be a good thing.

But if it isn't doing good things to your hair, then I'll be the first to admit that you obviously shouldn't use it!

Best,

anne

anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Longhairdreams Longhairdreams wrote:

My husband has long curly hair, and silicones did a number on his hair.While they tame down the frizzies,they did start to cause breakge on his virgin hair.

How much did he use?  I wonder, and I could be wrong, if some people are using too much.  I use a serum, and I use, no kidding, one drop.  That's it.  I just rub that drop between my palms, and then lightly pat my hair.  If I use two drops, then it's too much. 

Did he ever find anything else to tame the frizzies?
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 9:26pm
It doesnt make much difference in the amount he uses.That could be because the only cones are in his conditioner.Plus he only washes once a week.But yeah people do tend to go way overboard with their cones.

He does use oil on his hair during the week.Now that stuff goes a long way.But yes his hair has been much healthier since using it.
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 9:30pm
anne- do you detangle your hair before you step in the shower?  I think this is a critical first step.  Then, when you get to when you apply the conditioner,  your hair shouldn't really be very tangled.

So comb it before getting it wet ill try that im not doing that, i usually just try to put a enough conditioner so that it can be finger combed but like i said results in breakage ill try doing it before. I do use oil but usually not until after the shower i put it on the ends of my hair maybe i can try a pre oiling by the way Giovani has no cones or sulfates:) Cones make my scalp itchy blah.

Thanks guys ill use ur tips!

Edited by babycheeks24 - July 27 2006 at 9:32pm
Babycheeks
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 8:17am
Originally posted by anne6000 anne6000 wrote:

I can't argue with your experiences at all, but I just wanted to say that, for some people, just a little silicone can be a good thing.

Well Anne since you're using so little it probably comes out in the next shampoo  and doesn't chip off hair when it comes out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic