Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help on growin hair *:*:*:*:*

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lildub22513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildub22513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help on growin hair *:*:*:*:*
    Posted: July 31 2006 at 12:33pm
im tryin to grow out ma hair 4 braids and i wanna speed up da process so wat can i do... people told me dat putting baby lotion in ya hair can grow it fast or motor oil from a car so tell me wat can i do
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by lildub22513 lildub22513 wrote:

i wanna speed up da process so wat can i do... people told me dat putting baby lotion in ya hair can grow it fast or motor oil from a car so tell me wat can i do

First of all noting externally can change how fast your hair grows. Secondly whoever said putting motor oil in your hair knows NOTHING about hair, That would result in a greasy, dirty, stinky mess. All you can do externally is to treat your hair like a piece of lace. As for speeding up growth, eat a balanced diet, exercise, try not to obsess on hair(guilty on that charge), enjoy the growing out process, and take progress pics once a month.

HTH
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 5:27pm
i would really really really suggest you dont use motor oil!  a natural oil like jojoba will keep your hair healthy, but theres not much you can do to actually speed up the growing process, just don't cut your hair!  looking after your hair will mean you don't get split ends and have to cut them off, so try and avoid anything damaging like bleach and tangles and heat (hair dryers  etc)
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
vivek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 8:51am
I m sure motor oil is not going to help. Even any oil for that matter. It can only keep your hair smooth and healthy. I think u can have a balanced diet and good exercise and ofcourse healthy mind.

Hair lenght : 32 Inches,
Gender       : Male

Edited by vivek - August 01 2006 at 8:51am
rocawaves23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocawaves23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 9:37pm
How long does the average person have to wait to grow their hair? a month? two months? Right now i have 360 waves, and my hair is kinda high, what would i do if i wanted braids?
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 9:49pm
Just let it grow without cuts or trims.  The only way to have braids is to grow enough hair to put them into braids.

Motor oil is for internal combustion engines only.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocawaves23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 9:39am
How long?????????^^^^^^^^
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 9:50am
How long do you want the braids to be, roca?  Can you share a picture?  Keep in mind that the strand length will be longer than the braids due to texture and the braid itself. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocawaves23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 8:20pm
Somthin like Allen Iverson, just need to how long does it take to grow out. Do i have to grow out an afro first? How longs does that take?
ataraxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ataraxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 3:05pm
for cornrows (like Alan Iverson) or extensions, i would suggest at LEAST 1" of growth, more if possible. the longer the hair, the less it has to be pulled to get it into the braid...hence less breakage (and less pain in the hands of the person braiding).  i would also suggest oiling the hair while you're growing it out. roca, how fast does your hair grow? that will answer your question as to how long it takes to get to 1+" :)
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 6:36pm
Rocawaves, your waves look really cool!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocawaves23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2006 at 8:33pm
Thanks^^^ Well i usually leave my hair the height below,left corner, and i cut my hair myself every 2wks after that height. Would i have to "pic" my hair to expand it?
rhpetunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhpetunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 3:26pm
I don't care how much my husband loves the smell of motor oil --- I'm not putting it in my hair!!!!
2b/F/ii
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by rhpetunia rhpetunia wrote:

I don't care how much my husband loves the smell of motor oil --- I'm not putting it in my hair!!!!

LOL
FloridazFinest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloridazFinest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 9:56am

r u sayin it 1" for extensions or 1" to get braids? also im havini da same probs that alot of dudes on here its been bout 5 months since i xstarted growin hair out and i sarted with a bald head and on some areas like at the back hair is bout 2 inches hair on top is bout an inch and half. plus im have nappy hair that gets knots and tangles so wat kinda of oil should i be puttin in my hair and wat kind of shampoo and conditioner?

rhpetunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhpetunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 4:50pm
Jojoba and olive oils work well for me.  Oiling your hair with oils like this will help your hair stay moisturized.  Nappy hair tends to get dry -- if yours does  moisturizing conditioners will help keep the hair from drying out, and only use shampoo as much as you absolutely have to.

Some people with nappy hair only detangle when the hair is covered with conditioner so it won't break.
2b/F/ii
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 7:39pm

Sugarcube could not have said it better. Motor oil? Please Please promise us you will never go to that person for hair advice. He is either on heavy drugs, or really mad at you for something you did in the past and is trying to get you back. You know, like that girl who switched her girlfriend's conditioner for Nair, because she found out she had slept with her boyfriend LOL.

Hair grows at a rate of about 1/2 inch per month. So that can help you stimate how long it will take you to grow the length you want.

good luck

Shary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic