Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

protein questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: protein questions
    Posted: January 05 2007 at 2:33pm
Do any of you with long hair use protein treatments?
What is the benefit of applying protein directly to the hair?
How does it make your hair feel?
What is the best protein treatment?
Are there any homemade protein treatments I can do? (such as foods/oils/herbs/etc that I can put on my hair)
How often do you use protein treatments?
How do you know when it's too much?
If your diet is rich in protein, do you really need a direct application? (I'm a big meat-eater, and often eat peanutbutter, raw nuts, and whole grain foods)

I know I have alot of questions, but it's something new to me.  Any advice would be appreciated!
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2007 at 7:52pm
Hi Sarah,

I occasionally use protein-enriched conditioners (from Redken and Aubrey Organics).  They are supposed to help fill-in (and thus, strengthen) any empty spaces in the hair shaft.  Used occasionally, it makes my hair very soft.  Used too often, and it makes my hair dry and crunchy.  Using them about once every month or two is optimum for me.

Diets rich in protein are excellent, because your body builds hair from the inside.  I also supplement generously with biotin to help metabolize the protein.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2007 at 7:21pm
Thanks so much Dave.  Where do you buy them?

I was in our local beauty supply store today, so I looked to see what they had in the way of protein treatments.  I asked the lady about them, and she looked at me like she wasn't sure what I was talking about.  They only had one brand, I think it was Ion.  I know the salons around here sell Redken.  I may check with them.
sarah
40 inches
Lil'Bohemian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lil'Bohemian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2007 at 6:42pm
Hello-
I second what Dave has to say regarding the protein treatment's purpose, use frequency, etc.
I use this product : Bumble + Bumble "Deeep" about once every 3 weeks.
Or on Ebay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2007 at 6:09pm
Thank you!  It sounds good.  I'll look into it.  It's awfully expensive, does it last a long time?
sarah
40 inches
Nastasska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nastasska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 8:59am
Be careful with protein treatments I just overdid it on my hair and it really dried outAngry

Hope you find something that works for youSmile
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Nastasska/fuseli_nightmare-1.jpg" />
Cats may have staff but dogs have slaves, tired ones
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 12:58pm
Hey all,

I just wanted to share my protein experience... or lack thereof.

The old old version of Finesse shampoo (in the early 1990s) had silk protein. I used that for a long time, when it did leave my hair very soft, but that was also before I experimented with using oils. Certain proteins and certain oils do weird things to hair, so I stopped using the Finesse. It was also discontinued anyway.

I do miss that shampoo - they don't make it the same way anymore for price considerations (they switched from Sodium Laureth Sulfate to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate... cheaper, apparently).

It smelled wonderful. It smelled like sunshine.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 5:24pm
I bought Ion Reconstuctor and really liked it.  The ladies in the African-American section said they use protein treatments every week, so thought I'd try that to begin with just to see.  It's obviously too much for my hair, so once a month it will be.  (I wrote about it more in depth on my site)

I also started taking biotin.  And have been trying to increase my protein intake as well.  I'm also exercising more regularly.  I'm hoping to see some good results, not just in my hair.........

Have a great day, everybody!  And thanks so much for all your help!  Smile
sarah
40 inches
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 11:44pm
I use a protein treatment about once a week and a protein shampoo every day lately -- NO problems for me. I really LOVE that Ion Reconstructor stuff (though that's not what I'm using now)!

P.S. Hairbraider, your hair is GORGEOUS. I just got done looking at the pictures on your site. I love it!

Edited by Alayney - February 20 2007 at 11:51pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 10:05am
Embarrassed Thank you Alayney.  You're very sweet.
sarah
40 inches
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 10:37am
I used to use Ion products, both the reconstructor and the little Ion protein packs you can get cheap.  I haven't used them since I stopped dying my hair though.  I thought they were heavy cone products but since I dyed it then I didn't worry about cones, so I never checked.  I did like them though, they did the same moisturizing for my hair that a good coning did, so if they don't have them, that is great.  They were great for after a harsh dye job in turning the hair from straw to smooth and detangled.

I haven't used them in a long time though, or any protein, as I too like to worry more about the protein I get in my diet.  I am mostly vegetarian so I have to work harder at getting enough, but it seems to go fine, and my hair doesn't seem to suffer.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 3:50pm
I did check for -cones since my hair doesn't respond well to them.  Most similar products that I saw have them in abundance.  There is one ingredient that might have the same long-term effects even though it isn't silicone-based. 

"polyquaterniums - group of ingredients used primarily in hair-care products due to their antistatic and film-forming properties. They can have water-binding properties for skin due to the sheer "plastic" film layer they create on skin."

(as opposed to silicone which creates "a great deal of slip and in its various forms it can feel like silk on the skin, impart emolliency, and be a water-binding agent that holds up well, even when skin becomes wet.")

So, we shall see.......
sarah
40 inches
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 7:00am
Thanks for posting that, I wondered what quaterniums did, I have Mode de Vie shea butter conditioner, and its only chemical sounding ingredient is quaterniums.  I didn't know it was anti-static, next time its sweater weather I'll have to see if it keeps my hair from flying out horizontally like it was doing last time!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 9:49am
You're welcome Susan.  www.cosmeticscop.com is where I get info like that.  There's an ingredient glossary.
sarah
40 inches
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 2:23pm
That is an interesting dictionary, thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic