Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

walking through a salon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: walking through a salon
    Posted: January 01 2007 at 2:12am
This is just an interesting thought that I thought I might throw out to y'all.........

There is a mall I like to shop at that I've visited several times recently due to Christmas shopping.  In the JCPenny's store, the women's bathroom is inside the salon.  It's a fairly large salon with a big front desk and about 10 chairs.  A person has to walk all the way through the salon to get to the bathroom.  Well, I always get this funny feeling when I do that.  All the stylists give me a "look" like I'm going to run off their customers, and the women in the chairs sometimes turn to watch me as I walk by.  I really hate walking through there, it makes me uneasy (like someone might slip with a pair of scissors as I go by or something).  But at the same time, I feel a small sense of pride and the need to hold my head high and give my hair a toss as they watch me pass.  I'm not generally a conceited person by nature, but when I catch a glimpse of a woman getting her hair cut/dyed/permed/whatever looking at my hair with longing.... I can't help feeling some pride.
Wink
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 12:29pm
I kinda get that feeling too when I walk by a salon. I don't look to see if anyone is looking at me but rather I act like I'm not interested in them at all and just walk by. But I wonder to myself if any of them are thinking "Oh wow I wish he'd come in here" or "I thought he was going to come in here."

I'm sure at least some of them think "Eventually he has to cut it."

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 5:47pm
Sarah, is it really true that this JCP store has no other women's restrooms other than those accessible inside the salon?  WTH!  Were I in your situation I might be tempted to seek restrooms elsewhere in the mall. Disapprove  But I admire your courage and spirit in bypassing the scene and "forging" ahead. LOL It's interesting to hear your perspective on the looks by the stylists.  But the looks by the patrons say a lot (without saying any words).  Too bad for the patrons that they haven't the courage to "just say no" to the processing applied by their stylists.

Several years ago, a long-haired friend and I were walking by a salon.  A stylist inside (who, by the way, had waist-length blonde hair) saw us walking by, and just froze and stared at us.  The look on her face was priceless. Big%20smile

hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 10:27am
Dave, yes it's true.  I have no idea why they did that!  Many times I do seek out another bathroom, but when you have little kids with you who can't wait it's not always an option. lol LOL 

Purplebubba, I too always wonder what exactly is going through their minds.....
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 4:06pm
So in your case you might even have some people wondering "How does she manage it all?"
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 1:29am
Gosh, I would think nothing but POSITIVE thoughts. I would think people would just say "Wow! LOOK at that HAIR!" with admiration! You shouldn't be uncomfortable -- you SHOULD walk through with pride!

I have a hair appointment tomorrow -- was about to give my hair a GOOD CHOP but then I always come here and change my mind. Clap It is pretty long -- well, long by "average" standards -- midback, but I bleach -- I'm not going to stop that anytime soon, but you all do give me inspiration to keep the length ... and to take care of it to the best of my ability. Thumbs%20Up
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 6:34pm
Hi Alayney!  It's nice to hear that we all inspire you. Big%20smile  I understand that it is very, very difficult to keep hair well-conditioned when it's bleached; that your hair is mid-back length is quite remarkable, well done!
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 2:27am
Well, and so they say ... but I must tell you, mine's in darn good shape considering ... I also have FINE hair, which is supposedly THE MOST fragile! AND I've been bleaching for a good seven + years. I take very good care of it and baby it as much as I can. I'm sure it would be better if I didn't bleach but I really like how it looks. Smile

Thanks! Star
Katze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2007 at 4:19am
Over Xmas my mom treated me to a pedicure which, for some reason, was in a salon filled with old ladies. Every last one of them was having her hair cut and set into rollers, parked under the dryer to get that identical short teased poodle 'do that ladies above a certain age have (mom's heading in that direction too, sigh...)

After suppressing my horror at what one of the stylists was doing to a lady with particularly thinning hair (brushing SO roughly, shampooing like she was beating eggs, then yanking it onto the rollers) I sat there really happy with my finally-healthy hair that is almost at BSL. I felt really fabulous.

I haven't set foot in a salon since I had them "dye it darker" to cover all the old bleaching back at the end of June. They did a good job with the color, but the way the woman washed my hair (and used shampoo) made me shed more and made it all feel weird afterwards.

Some people on LHC say they have been able to go into a salon after washing their hair themselves, and can trust the person to trim as much as THEY want - but I have never had that experience. Because my hair is so fine and fragile, they always want to cut it all off.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 5:39pm
After I just had my hair "hacked" in november, I vowed to never set foot in a salon again. I bought a good pair of shears and I will trim myself or my mom will do it for me. Before it was cut, I used to get looks from ladies around town( I live in a small town) that I know are stylists. I never really though about it before, but one of them was the one who cut my hair so short. I know it is not short by traditional means,but after having it almost to my waist, I feel like all my hair is gone. 
The funny thing is, is that every one of them have shoulder length or shorter hair, and it is highlighted or bleached, or permed.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Katze Katze wrote:

After suppressing my horror at what one of the stylists was doing to a lady with particularly thinning hair (brushing SO roughly, shampooing like she was beating eggs, then yanking it onto the rollers) I sat there really happy with my finally-healthy hair that is almost at BSL. I felt really fabulous.

Frightening! Shocked

Originally posted by Alisa06 Alisa06 wrote:

The funny thing is, is that every one of them have shoulder length or shorter hair, and it is highlighted or bleached, or permed.

Maybe they get bored with their hair, and practice on each other?  Or maybe they don't like their hair?  Or maybe they enjoy practicing what they know how to do?  Or maybe all of the above?Ermm
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 9:20am
One of them was picking her son up at school yesterday,(Her hair is permed and bleached) I thought to myself," I wonder if she knows how bad her hair looks. I doesn't look bad by her standards I am sure, but I think it looks horrible. It is in a cute stylish cut that frames her face for the most part. I am always getting wierd looks from her.Crazy.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic