Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

whats your hair routine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whats your hair routine
    Posted: February 19 2007 at 5:47pm
what do ya'll do with your hair on a daily basis? wud luv ta no cuz yall got da prettiest hair. :)
well to get the thread going i usually condition my hair with whatever is in the shower. comb while soaking wet. scrunch barely.put my hair in two sides;one over each shoulder. with one side comb again, then rake and scrunch in carrot-tea-tree-oil and repeat on other side.then when all the oil is in put a tad of gell on hand and rub palms together to get it all over my hands. then press firmly down in the top layer from roots to tips.(do this with oil first) then scrunch to get rid of excess moisture then air dry.

Edited by SugarCube - February 19 2007 at 5:50pm
gypsydoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsydoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 6:48pm
When I do the right thing, I pre-treat with jojoba oil on my ends, wash with Dove shampoo, and condition iwth Dove, combing the conditioner through the hair in the shower.  I dab a little oil on my ends and wrap my hair in a towel for a while.  After that, a short towel dry and comb thru with a wide tooth comb and braid however I feel that day.

Now, on a busy day......
quick wash and condition, towel dry and tie it in a knot on top of my head.  It looks alot like a loose bun.  No comb, no brush, no nothing.  I've been known to go in the shower and be out of the door in 10 minutes.
Jen, (1a/f/ii)
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 8:27pm
Non-wash day: comb out for a few minutes, then braid.  At the end of day, remove braid.  About 10 minutes total.

Wash-Day: Center part head (bring forward of shoulders), detangle with comb then brush, wet, lather scalp w/diluted sham, rinse, repeat, condish... at conclusion of shower, rinse thoroughly, squeeze out excess water, diluted vinegar rinse (allow to run through for a coupla minutes), squeeze out excess, then detangle and braid.  The total "hair" time on wash day is about 45 minutes.

Usually a couple of days afterwards, I rub about 5-6 drops of jojoba into my hair (avoiding the first 6 inches or so), this takes maybe 5 minutes.

Simple, really.

Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2007 at 9:41pm

I have to wash mine everyday since I workout everyday and it is gross afterwards. 

1.  I use VO5 extra body conditioner on my entire head and to the ends and lather (it does lather). 

2.  I then use baby shampoo on my front bang area only with the VO5 still on my head and lather that.

3.  I then rinse it all out and ring out my hair. 

4.  Next is my beloved KIEHL'S Leave-In Hair Conditioner.  I only need a nickel size amount.  I rub my hands together and work it on the ends of my hair.

5.  Wrap a towel around for excess water and then comb out.

6. Blow dry bang area only then air dry the rest.

hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2007 at 3:29pm

I actually have several variations of what I do on a daily basis, depending on how my hair is behaving, the weather, how I want to fix it that particular day, etc. 

short version:
dampen hair all over with water/lime juice mixture, scrunch, add some aloe vera gel to touch up if necessary, air dry.
or
wet all hair under tub faucet, condition length only, rinse, wrap in towel, air dry touching as little as possible, smooth on some aloe gel, spritz a bit with lime/water.
(long version available on my hair space)

I don't ever wash my hair (or use the second option above) just before going somewhere, unless I'm putting it up somehow.  I usually wash it at night so it has time to dry and apply gel and all that.  I only wash it in the morning if I'll be staying home for a while.  My hair is definetly not "wash-n-go". LOL
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2007 at 9:30pm
hairbraider: really! we're complete opposites. I CAN'T go anywhere w/o washing my hair if i wan't to leave it down
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 7:46am
Every other night I wash my hair with diluted shampoo, then condition sometimes with cones, sometimes not.  On days I am good I then rinse with diluted vinegar. 

After its mostly dry, I run my seamless comb through it, then braid it and go to bed.  I always sleep in a braid or it tangles like crazy.  Each morning I oil if its after a wash night, then brush and style it, and thats about all.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 11:16am
Originally posted by SugarCube SugarCube wrote:

hairbraider: really! we're complete opposites. I CAN'T go anywhere w/o washing my hair if i wan't to leave it down

LOL  That's funny!  My hair does funky things as it dries.  Parts of it kink, and other parts fluff....  It looks way better if I let it dry, then do gel. 
sarah
40 inches
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 1:39pm
Hmm...Lately I have been washing my hair about every 4-5 days.

Here's the routine I've been using-
- detangle, wet, and wash with a solution of 3/4 cup water with a full-dosage of shampoo and a half-dosage of cone-free Suave conditioner
- rinse with lukewarm or cool water, scritch a little bit on the scalp with the same chisel comb
-apply Dove Moisturizing conditioner and comb it through, rinse with lukewarm or cool water
- air dry and use a microfiber supertowel, gently comb hair about every 10 minutes until fairly dry (wet-combing)

I've found that using this Dove shampoo makes my hair seem to "flow" better. I used to be exclusively CO.

Other than that washing routine, I just put it up in a bun, braid it back, or wear it down on most days.

Take care, everyone

Anais

Edited by AnaisSatin - February 23 2007 at 1:41pm
my LJ, 40 inches long
CalliaNatane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalliaNatane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 1:47pm
Hi
- It's been a while, sorry i have been completely bogged down with exams and school work... anywho... back to my question...
I have had my hair in a normal plait everyday and have only taken it down in the morning and evening to brush then put it back in a plait, i was wondering if it damages the hair to have it permenantly tied up in a plait or any other style?
Thanks,
Callie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by CalliaNatane CalliaNatane wrote:

I have had my hair in a normal plait everyday and have only taken it down in the morning and evening to brush then put it back in a plait, i was wondering if it damages the hair to have it permenantly tied up in a plait or any other style?
Only if you're doing it in the same place every time, or if you're tying it up in a way that stresses your hair.  It's rare for women with extreme lengths to ever wear their hair down.
sarah
40 inches
CalliaNatane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalliaNatane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 3:51pm
Its just a normal low plait.... so i guess having it in a high pony tail constantly will damage the hair then?
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 5:57pm
yea. if youre using a thin band and always wearing it in the same spot that can cause breakage wear you tie it
gypsydoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsydoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 8:37pm
I agree with the idea of having to change up the ponytail every once in a while.  i never noticed until I started styling my daughter's hair.  She would get breaks if i kept her pigtails in the same place.
I even try to part her hair differrently as well.  Sometimes on the side, sometimes many ponies, sometimes the zigzag.  It has made a difference.
Jen, (1a/f/ii)
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 4:22am
I wash and condition my hair with Sunsilk shampo(orange repair and protect bottle) and Sunsilk conditioner for dyed and damaged hair(old bottle I've had for a while, it's pink) every two to three days.

If I blowdry and straighten it I use Tresseme Heat Protectant before blowdrying and Andrew Collinge heat protectant for long hair on each section as I straighten.

If I want curly/wavy hair, I wash and condition as normal then scrunch any excess water out with my towel and make sure not to wrap my hair up. I then use Umberto Gianini Curl Friends scrunching gel to enhance and smooth out the wave formation. Once it's dried it doesn't look wet or feel sticky so it's pretty good.

Between times if I'm just in the house I scrape all of my hair back into a high ponytail with my BBB and use a very thick hair-bobble to tie it back to avoid damage. I just leave it there until it needs rebrushed and I sleep with it like this too, unless it's straight, in which case I'll hold the shorter bits back with grips and keep the length in a loose ponytail.

Every month or so I deep condition with Charles Worthington Leave in. I let it sit for a day or two and then wash as normal. About a week or so later I need to clarify and I use Vosene Original to do this and don't use the curling gel so I've got a big wavy thing on my head lol.

If I'm feeling guilty about my hair after clarifying, I might go cone-free for a while and to do that I use Tescos Jojoba and Balsam shampoo and conditioner for dry and damaged hair.

I don't colour my hair anymore(I've had alot of colour experiences lol). The colour starts at about my ears but the last dye I used was close to my natural colour so there's no seam. If I want a colour change I use clip in human hair extensions. I have dark brown, purple and blonde so far.

Hope that's not too complicatedEmbarrassed!
curlylocke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curlylocke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 8:28am
Originally posted by hairbraider hairbraider wrote:

Originally posted by SugarCube SugarCube wrote:

LOL  That's funny!  My hair does funky things as it dries.  Parts of it kink, and other parts fluff....  It looks way better if I let it dry, then do gel. 

girlfriend!  LOL.  we have the same issues here with the kinking/fluffing.  i'm gonna have to try your aloe regiment.
3b&c/m/ii

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 9:57am
Originally posted by curlylocke curlylocke wrote:

girlfriend!  LOL.  we have the same issues here with the kinking/fluffing.  i'm gonna have to try your aloe regiment.

LOL Hope it works for you as well as it does for me! Big%20smile
sarah
40 inches
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 3:44pm
I wash every other day. This is what I do on wash days...

I get up in the morning and comb through with my Madora comb. In the shower I wet down my hair, then apply Matrix Amplify conditioner to the length to protect it from the shampoo. Then I shampoo my scalp with Biolage Color Care Shampoo because it is a very gentle shampoo. I rinse, then apply L'Anza Be Long conditioner to the length (This is my all-time favorite conditioner, but they've stopped making it....I have one bottle left in reserve). I leave this conditioner on while I'm washing the rest of me, then I rinse it out.
Out of the shower, I spray on some GM detangler and comb through. I put my hair up in a micro-fiber turbine while shaving (it seems to absorb a lot of the water.) Then I let my hair down again and apply a little L'Anza leave-in protector (I love this stuff). During work days, I try to let my hair air-dry for at least 40 minutes, then I finish with a blow-dryer (I feel I should point out that my dryer uses infrared heat, so it dries the hair from the inside, instead of from the outside. It's made a big difference in our hair.)
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 7:02pm
I wash every 3-5 days with diluted Giovanni 50:50 shampoo
Then I rinse with diluted rice vinegar
Then I condition with either Giovanni Direct Leave In, one of several Aveda conditioners I have, or the Dove Moisturizing Conditioner.

Every other week I rinse with diluted baking soda to clarify/chelate.

I air dry, and brush/comb two times a day.

ChocoholicBec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChocoholicBec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 9:50pm
I wash my hair every day to every two days - I guess my average would be once every 1.25 days, to tell the truth.
I wash it in warm water first, then use Sunsilk Volumising Shampoo, then rinse it out with cool water.
Then I use Sunsilk Volumising Conditioner, then rinse that out with cool water.
Then I make the water as cold as I can stand for the final rinse, then squeeze some of the excess water out of my hair. Spray detangling spray through (not sure of the brand) and comb out tangles.
Then I leave it alone until it's completely dry, and brush it with my boar-bristle brush.
I plait it before going to bed, too, as long as it's completely dry. Otherwise I get the most horrific knots in the morning.

If I don't wash my hair one day, I un-plait it in the mornings, brush it gently, put it into a ponytail (or leave it out, occasionally) and leave it alone for the rest of the day.

Once a week I wash it in plain water, no shampoo, to help get rid of buildup from my shampoo, conditioner, and detangling stuff.

Sunsilk probably isn't the best for my hair, I know, but I can't find any of the good stuff where I live, and it does work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic